Proposal: Some 4C trades for NJD

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
"He is overpaid by 750k to 1 mill".

So he's a 2.25-3 million dollar cap dump?
I see what you did there.

So, we are totalling up the amount of overpaid per year by the number of years? Does your math factor in a rising cap? Because he is not overpaid as much or at all in year three and four of this deal.

My point is, if we have to eat $1M a year and then replace him with a guy making $1M less, why are we paying an asset to get rid of him?

Feb 5, 2016
Is something wrong with the Devils 4C Curtis Lazar?

If the Devils need another 4C they could just resign Chris Tierney at league minimum or sign Florida UFA Steven Lorentz.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I see what you did there.

So, we are totalling up the amount of overpaid per year by the number of years? Does your math factor in a rising cap? Because he is not overpaid as much or at all in year three and four of this deal.

My point is, if we have to eat $1M a year and then replace him with a guy making $1M less, why are we paying an asset to get rid of him?
If you're eating 1 mill a year I'd be paying you for him

You seem to have misread.

No retention=cap dump of a 3rd
600k retention=net 0 value
1.2 mill retention=we pay a 3rd.

Basically my math is a 3rd=1.8 mill, and net 0 value for Kampf is 1.8x3. at 2.4x3 he has -1.8 mill of value, so you pay us a 3rd. at 1.8 he's net 0, so nobody pays anything, at 1.2 he has +1.8 mill in value, so we pay a 3rd.

Again, based around my net 0 valuation of Kampf at 1.8 mill
Is something wrong with the Devils 4C Curtis Lazar?

If the Devils need another 4C they could just resign Chris Tierney at league minimum or sign Florida UFA Steven Lorentz.
If Chris Tierney takes another shift in a devils uniform I'm not watching that shit

• Haha
Reactions: Maurice of Orange

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Nah. We good.
Bastian plays winning hockey and now that he’ll have a full offseason to train he’ll have a career year next year. Good net front presence and always making the little plays. Id love to have him on the rangers

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If you're eating 1 mill a year I'd be paying you for him

You seem to have misread.

No retention=cap dump of a 3rd
600k retention=net 0 value
1.2 mill retention=we pay a 3rd.

Basically my math is a 3rd=1.8 mill, and net 0 value for Kampf is 1.8x3. at 2.4x3 he has -1.8 mill of value, so you pay us a 3rd. at 1.8 he's net 0, so nobody pays anything, at 1.2 he has +1.8 mill in value, so we pay a 3rd.

Again, based around my net 0 valuation of Kampf at 1.8 mill
Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense. It doesn't make sense for me to see the Leafs trading him with retention since the replacement cost, and we would need to replace him, is basically his current cost less the amount being retained. There would be no savings.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Bastian plays winning hockey and now that he’ll have a full offseason to train he’ll have a career year next year. Good net front presence and always making the little plays. Id love to have him on the rangers

I don't doubt him as a player but the Sharks have enough bottom 6 wingers and I think the Sharks could get a better pick should they be inclined to trade Sturm at the deadline.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Their is a significant difference in price for a 3C than compared to a 4C. As a Devils fan we don't need to go out and burn assets on a 4C when we have Lazar already.

4th lines usually matchup against 4th lines. I'm not burning an asset to upgrade a player who wins a marginal amount more of faceoffs. Lazar plays fine in that role.

Reactions: My3Sons

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Their is a significant difference in price for a 3C than compared to a 4C. As a Devils fan we don't need to go out and burn assets on a 4C when we have Lazar already.

4th lines usually matchup against 4th lines. I'm not burning an asset to upgrade a player who wins a marginal amount more of faceoffs. Lazar plays fine in that role.
I like Lazar more on the wing. Also we are 1 lazar/haula injury from being in a really really tough spot. The lack of quality 4th line play last year was a killer after Mcleod left last year. They were basically unplayable

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
nothing wrong with lazar as 4C and the teammates like him

Devils traded Clarke for Beckman who could probably fill in for 4C

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
nothing wrong with lazar as 4C and the teammates like him

Devils traded Clarke for Beckman who could probably fill in for 4C
I'm not saying take Lazar out of the lineup. Having 3 bottom 6 centers instead of 2 is important. And I liked Lazar more when he was on the wing tbh.

Is Beckman not a winger?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Does Mercer always play W now? Not a viable 3C or you'd just prefer more size there?
Mercer sucks defensively and can't take faceoffs. We've tried him at C many times in different roles and it never works. He needs to play a simple north/south game in order to be effective.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Evans would cost at least a 2nd.

He may be the "4C", but he was the 4th most used forward last year in TOI (5th in toi/g). Lead team in PK time.

@1.7M he's a bargain for what he can contribute and he is still improving.

Not sure Habs would even take the 2nd right now, that's more of the deadline value they'd seek if moving him then because his extension ask is higher than they're willing to go.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah there’s no reason for the Devils to do this.

Hischier - Hughes - Haula - Lazar down the middle is fine. Depth after that is a little worrisome as it’s only AHL guys unless a guy like Mercer or Foote is moved to C, which isn’t ideal.

These are the types of roles you’d be able to address off the waiver wire or PTOs, if it’s still a need by day one. The better solution is eventually acquire another forward who could play middle-six C at the deadline

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah there’s no reason for the Devils to do this.

Hischier - Hughes - Haula - Lazar down the middle is fine. Depth after that is a little worrisome as it’s only AHL guys unless a guy like Mercer or Foote is moved to C, which isn’t ideal.

These are the types of roles you’d be able to address off the waiver wire or PTOs, if it’s still a need by day one. The better solution is eventually acquire another forward who could play middle-six C at the deadline
Middle 6 Cs will cost us a 1st at the deadline.

See: Henrique, Monahan, Lindholm

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Kampf is overpaid by around a million. That said he’s still a solid penalty killer and fourth line center that can play up the lineup with injuries. He’s a part of Torontos PK and probably one of the better options on the roster there(though that might be more of a slight to o it special teams) I could see moving him, but I can’t see wasting an asset to move him as I’m pretty sure he has positive net value to the team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think any of these packages, except I guess the Krebs and Dowd ones kind of, are needle moving trades tbh.

However dowd is legit excellent, playing some of the hardest minutes in hockey to great success. Would give us the best 4C in the league imo. And I like Krebs as a long term bottom 6C fit.

Right now we don't have much going on in that regard.

I guess Caps would take either 1st or 2 2nd's for Dowd right now since it's good value wise.

I don't think that's on the table atleast yet, or the deal would have been done already (see: Malenstyn).

He propably moves at the deadline where he is a great asset with that small cap hit. That way he can help the kids taking all those garbage minutes again this season before moving on. I guess his value depends on what kind of season he has. I'd hope for a second and anything on top of that is a plus.

Reactions: dgibb10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad