Social Media Septic Tank Thread

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
All the beats talk about adding star players yet refuse to acknowledge drafting in the top 3 of the draft is the way to get those players. Why is it so taboo to talk about tanking to get a Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli type talent that can impact this team for 15 years for one bad year that's going to be bad anyway?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
All the beats talk about adding star players yet refuse to acknowledge drafting in the top 3 of the draft is the way to get those players. Why is it so taboo to talk about tanking to get a Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli type talent that can impact this team for 15 years for one bad year that's going to be bad anyway?
Because the team tells them what to write, and they'd never want them saying that. Culture, and stuff

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Most of the time they can't acknowledge who the star players are to begin with. There's people who didn't want Erik Karlsson because of his +/-.

But people also didn't want to trade any of our prospects to get him.

Oh, and also people don't want us to be the Coyotes or Sabres, because it's not what the Blackhawks did. Or the Kings. Or the Penguins. Or the Lightning. Or the Avalanche. There's some people on Flyers Twitter who think what the Avalanche have endured still hasn't been worth it because it took 9 years after drafting MacKinnon.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Most of the time they can't acknowledge who the star players are to begin with. There's people who didn't want Erik Karlsson because of his +/-.

But people also didn't want to trade any of our prospects to get him.

Oh, and also people don't want us to be the Coyotes or Sabres, because it's not what the Blackhawks did. Or the Kings. Or the Penguins. Or the Lightning. Or the Avalanche. There's some people on Flyers Twitter who think what the Avalanche have endured still hasn't been worth it because it took 9 years after drafting MacKinnon.
Patrick Kane #1

Drew Doughty #2

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, #1, #2, #1

Hedman Stamkos #2 #1

MacKinnon, Landeskog, Makar, #1 #2 #4

I'm sure I'm missing some too

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Patrick Kane #1

Drew Doughty #2

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, #1, #2, #1

Hedman Stamkos #2 #1

MacKinnon, Landeskog, Makar, #1 #2 #4

I'm sure I'm missing some too
Editing this to be clearer: no team since the salary cap has won the Cup without benefits of having players who were drafted in the top 5. Caveats being the Bruins, who traded Kessel to draft Seguin #2, and also traded for Nathan Horton who was #1. The Blues had Pietrangelo, who was drafted 11 years prior, but they also traded for Brayden Schenn. The Kings of course had Doughty, they also traded for and then traded later Jack Johnson, and also traded Schenn.

But there is absolutely a correlation in drafting well, which is something these people forget when they chirp about the chances second round picks make it to the NHL. It's weird the teams who have a lot of those guys too, I guess they just get lucky and don't have good development processes. The excuses that get made for the organization cultured on not having any.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really care much in season like right now. They won two games with their backup currently. But if you look at the numbers they were fortunate in both. That’s pretty much the general theme in all their games to be fair in regards to getting out-possessed, out-chanced, etc.

They’re still gonna lose a lot of games this year. Prior to that went what? Winless in 17 of 21 games before the break?

My issue is more directed at the front office & what they do or don’t do with trades at the deadline or off-season.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don’t really care much in season like right now. They won two games with their backup currently. But if you look at the numbers they were fortunate in both. That’s pretty much the general theme in all their games to be fair in regards to getting out-possessed, out-chanced, etc.

They’re still gonna lose a lot of games this year. Prior to that went what? Winless in 17 of 21 games before the break?

My issue is more directed at the front office & what they do or don’t do with trades at the deadline or off-season.
DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE GAMES?!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
These 10:00+ start ones? f*** no. :laugh:

I honestly probably will start watching more with football coming to an end soon.
Please know that was said tongue in cheek because it’s something constantly spouted by a poster that is just projecting because he doesn’t watch the games based off of some of the things that are said.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
The Meltzer’s of the world really didn’t see an issue with this team’s standing prior to these last two years. They were perfectly happy being stuck in like #12-20 range every year hoping for a miracle.
I think it could be okay to be in that range. If youre a young team with a lot of players who need to play in the nhl to learn to play in the nhl. And you wait for a few draft picks to arrive in the 2 seasons. And you just want to add final pieces till the higher draft picks from the years before arrive at your roster.

Its not okay if you are capped out, with long contracts and alot of not moveable contracts and veterans!!!

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
What does this even mean.

And Snider won f*** all once the league had more than 18 teams in it, despite being able to outspend almost every other club.
The Flyers need to get more corporate, not less. They need to be like a business and have a standard of if you dont perform at your job youre out.

So many issues and bad decisions this team has faced have come from the Snider era mentality of loyalty to our own above all.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Wait. Stop. I’m old and an asshole but this douchebag included what I perceive to be a hashtag phrased by fueled by Philly. In regards to a rebuild, based off of present players not playing up to the standard they were brought in to play as.
As I f***ing reading this right?
Hashtag f*** me in the ass my shitty ass pieces are not doing a f***ing thing so let’s try to fuel philly by bringing more of them in? End hashtag, I dunno I’d that a thing?

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
The Flyers need to get more corporate, not less. They need to be like a business and have a standard of if you dont perform at your job youre out.

So many issues and bad decisions this team has faced have come from the Snider era mentality of loyalty to our own above all.
Yup. I have no issue with the idea in theory. Just in practice don't give them jobs that actually matter. Give them feel good, PR gigs. Jones was specifically brought up in the bit on 32 Thoughts, and while I don't think he's particularly good at commentary, at least it doesn't affect the on-ice product.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Yup. I have no issue with the idea in theory. Just in practice don't give them jobs that actually matter. Give them feel good, PR gigs. Jones was specifically brought up in the bit on 32 Thoughts, and while I don't think he's particularly good at commentary, at least it doesn't affect the on-ice product.
What was said on 32 thoughts?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That Snider looked after former players whose careers ended by injuries like Primeau and Jones.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I personally dislike Jones and don't want him to be the Flyers color guy anymore. But I do think he still does a better job the half or more of the leagues other color guys.

The bar is just so wildly low for that role. I honestly think that if they replaced him I would dislike the new guy more.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I personally dislike Jones and don't want him to be the Flyers color guy anymore. But I do think he still does a better job the half or more of the leagues other color guys.

The bar is just so wildly low for that role. I honestly think that if they replaced him I would dislike the new guy more.
My point was really aimed at the idea of bringing back players "that had fought for us," as Friedman had mentioned and using Jones as an example of where I think that's fine. His color commentary doesn't have any effect on who plays for the team, who coaches them, or how they're developed. Give me that 60 times over a single Holmgren, Clarke, Lappy, Samuelsson... etc.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I really dislike Jonesy. He’s never offered anything that I haven’t been able to see for myself.

I like Boucher a lot. He always has a decent in sight or breaks down the play down a bit deeper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad