Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Not knowing EvilGritty is a parody account 2022 years- almost 2023- after the alleged birth of Christ
All what needs to happen in Philly is stuff that normaly only happens in a parody. Never heard about a professional Sport org that has changed the whole Front Office, all coaches, all development coaches and all scouts in one year or one offseason. So if we are true to ourselfes nothing of these things will happen. EVER. So we search about small victories. A parody Account saying the GM will be fired is a small victory....

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Two times in one day! First Kevin Hayes about benching and now this!

93f.jpg

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
A “career 50-55 point player” who has scored 50 points once in his 8 year career.

Ghost, the cap dump, has more 50+ seasons.

This guy does not have a brain in his head.

It's impressive to see how thoroughly reprogrammed a big portion of the fanbase is towards Ghost. I know, because I was a little harsher on his defensive play when the offense wasn't working for him, and eventually wanted him gone for his own sake (knowing full well he'd start piling points up the second he was out). But there are so many people out there who have just fully internalized the notion that he was a bad defensive player or a bad player in general.

Like, do you know what you're watching? Sure, he can get dummied in the corners sometimes, but he doesn't spend much time there because he effectively moves the puck out of the defensive zone better than almost anyone in the league, whether lugging or passing. He is an incredibly unique asset in that regard and an overall good player. What the f***.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's impressive to see how thoroughly reprogrammed a big portion of the fanbase is towards Ghost. I onow because I was a little harsher on his defensive play when the offense wasn't working for him, and eventually wanted him gone for his own sake, but there are so many people out there who have just fully internalized the notion that he was a bad defensive player or a bad player in general.

Like, do you know what you're watching? Sure, he can get dummied in the corners sometimes, but he doesn't spend much time there because he effectively moved the puck out of the defensive zone better than almost anyone in the league, whether lugging or passing. He is an incredibly unique asset in that regard and an overall good player. What the f***.
It’s not at all a coincidence that the people who hate Ghost are also the people who are in love with Torts.

It’s that nonsense tough guy, defense first, buy into every single cliche, hockey mentality where a small skilled defensemen can’t possibly be a positive player, so everything good has to be minimized and every flaw has to be fabircated or exaggerated.

The same people who nitpick everything Ghost does keep trying to find ways to defend Ristolainen. It’s insane.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It’s not at all a coincidence that the people who hate Ghost are also the people who are in love with Torts.

It’s that nonsense tough guy, defense first, buy into every single cliche, hockey mentality where a small skilled defensemen can’t possibly be a positive player, so everything good has to be minimized and every flaw has to be fabircated or exaggerated.

The same people who nitpick everything Ghost does keep trying to find ways to defend Ristolainen. It’s insane.

And they're also the dim bulbs who think because Hayes is big, doesn't score at an elite level, and is used sometimes on the PK he must be a good defensive center. When in fact he...isn't. I saw one of the fellows, perhaps the Jamie guy, tweeting about his "solid defense" or whatever last week.

Hockey is a really hard sport to analyze casually even when you watch a lot of it. Unlike our other popular sports, it isn't a series of easily digestible sequences with natural stop/start points (even basketball rarely runs more than a minute of clock without play resetting from scratch) where some analyst can hammer into your head what you just saw with a dozen replays. You need to be good at kinda indexing player actions throughout a game in different situations and knowing whether they were the right action to take.

A lot of people can't do that—either don't have the attention or don't actually know what the correct action usually is—and end up just developing notions about players based on the archetype and then letting the most glaring examples stand as proof. So Ghost is "offensive d-man who can't defend!" and they note the 2 times he gets pushed off the puck in a corner each game—perhaps they result in a big save or even occasionally a goal against—but ignore the 14 times he successfully got the puck out of the zone on his own and avoided a prolonged opponent possession entirely. Or Hayes, they'll remember a handful of shorthanded goals, but not a mountain of missed assignments and poor reads.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
And they're also the dim bulbs who think because Hayes is big, doesn't score at an elite level, and is used sometimes on the PK he must be a good defensive center. When in fact he...isn't. I saw one of the fellows, perhaps the Jamie guy, tweeting about his "solid defense" or whatever last week.

Hockey is a really hard sport to analyze casually even when you watch a lot of it. Unlike our other popular sports, it isn't a series of esily digestible sequences with natural stop/start points (even basketball rarely runs more than a minute of clock without play resetting from scratch) where some analyst who can hammer into your head what you just saw with a dozen replays. You need to be good at kinda indexing player actions throughout a game in different situations and knowing whether they were the right action to take.

A lot of people can't do that—either don't have the attention or don't actually know what the correct action usually is—and end up just developing notions about players based on the archetype and then letting the most glaring examples stand as proof. So Ghost is "offensive d-man who can't defend!" and they note the 2 times he gets pushed off the puck in a corner each game—perhaps they result in a big save or even occasionally a goal against—but ignore the 14 times he successfully got the puck out of the zone on his own and avoided a prolonged opponent possession entirely. Or Hayes, they'll remember a handful of shorthanded goals, but not a mountain of missed assignments and poor reads.
It's amazing to me how well Ghost anticipated passes, he was able to jump on many of them and turn the puck over so quickly. I recall how well he could defend the neutral zone and his own blueline. Those plays are better defensive plays than the 'glass and out' plays.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hayes had poor defensive results in 19-20, but it was glossed over because it didn't affect the team that much since they had the Selke winner as the 1C, and cause he scored a bunch of GWGs and SHGs.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad