WC silver, 2008
olympic gold, 2010
olympics, top forward, 2010
stanley cup, 2010
conn smythe, 2010
selke, 2013
2nd team all-star, 2013
olympic gold, 2014

yeah that's impressive and all. but let us not forget another guy's ridiculous trophy case:

OHL bantam AAA cup, 2001
WJC gold, 2005
OHL MVP
OHL scoring title
memorial cup, 2005
memorial cup MVP
stanley cup, 2007
olympic gold, 2010
hart trophy, 2011
rocket richard trophy, 2011
1st team all-star, 2011
olympic gold, 2014

that would be our best forward in this tournament, corey perry.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
^ MaN I keep forgetting Perry won a Rocket and a Hart.Does that happen to anyone else here?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Still it's frustrating when Luongo is painted as 'shaky and unreliable' and Price is portrayed as an all-world goaltender when they both played at roughly the same level (I would say Luongo had to perform at a higher level in 2010 simply because out D was not nearly as dominant).

Typical jobbing of vancouver in the media.

And I totally agree Doughty was our MVP.

That's pretty much all I was saying with the "won inspite of" comment. No one can rip Price for his play, but putting it into perspective, this team was domminate defensively. I really would compare it to the wings with Osgood.

BobBobrovsky*

Why are Nucks fans so threatened by Price? Admit it. He was great. He didn't have the run support in the US game (or Latvia / Finland game for that matter). He won three games that were decided by 1 goal. The US game in particular he shut the door in a very tense game. Any other goaltender may have cracked under the pressure - especially when the Canadians pressed and still couldn't muster any goals.

Price was excellent in this tournament. But no matter how well he played, it seems as though it would never be good enough for Nucks fans who are sore that Luongo was passed up by the better goaltender.

C'est la vie i guess. But one thing we can all agree on is that We are #1 at hockey and there not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

That's what I sense here is as well. I'm not a Canucks or Habs fan but . . . if you have watched the NHL this season there is little question that 26 year old Carey Price is just a better goalie at this stage of his career than mid-30's Roberto Luongo. Rask, Price, Quick, and Lundquist . . . these are probably the top 4 guys is the world right now and on any given day, one can be better than the other, etc. What probably works against Price (as he's perceived) is that he's the least acrobatic of these guys and the most reliant on positioning and technique, which is probably why he will age the best of this group and still be dominant in his mid-30's. But we'll see.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
man people did not like that i called it a performance for the ages, eh?

i don't know. maybe it seemed better to me than it really was because they were close games and i'm used to... let's just say a certain someone not being quite perfect when protecting small third period leads. (settle down; i tease, i tease)

but i'll say two things:

- price had to do more than, say, timtom in the '11 finals. that was your classic case of just standing there and not cloutier-ing on shots from the outside.

- szabados > price. that was a clinic.

Agreed.

Szabados had a performance for the ages.

arsmaster*

under 17 gold, 2005
under 17 MVP, 2005
WJC gold, 2006
WJC gold, 2007 -- a "performance for the ages"
WC gold, 2007
WC silver, 2008
olympic gold, 2010
olympics, top forward, 2010
stanley cup, 2010
conn smythe, 2010
selke, 2013
2nd team all-star, 2013
olympic gold, 2014

yeah that's impressive and all. but let us not forget another guy's ridiculous trophy case:

OHL bantam AAA cup, 2001
WJC gold, 2005
OHL MVP
OHL scoring title
memorial cup, 2005
memorial cup MVP
stanley cup, 2007
olympic gold, 2010
hart trophy, 2011
rocket richard trophy, 2011
1st team all-star, 2011
olympic gold, 2014

that would be our best forward in this tournament, corey perry.

Neither of these two guys were the best players in the tournament for me.

Crosby and Getzlaf for me were the guys.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
he's done more than them and arguably hasn't even hit his prime yet

In your view, but it is more he and his team have done more than the twins, and their team. Would the Halks have won two cups if the Canucks had toews and they had the twins?

Would he have a heart, art ross, and lester B Pearson award?

Would he have lead the Canucks to back to back President trophy's?

He is great, and there is no way anyone can argue differently, but the Twins have been pretty damn good themselves.

arsmaster*

Hockey is a team sport. Toews gets way too much credit for team awards, hell, his Conn Smythe was a joke too.

He's a helluva hockey player, but it's like saying you'd take Glenn Anderson over Brett Hull. Circumstances have lead to Toews winning. He's been a big part in a lot of those wins, but you only have to look at his NHL playoff production outside a 13 point 6 game series against us in 2010 and he looks fairly average or even mediocre....oh right, the intangibles.

Pretty sure the Sedin's may have won a cup if they were insulated by Ladd, Byfuglien, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Kane etc.

He's been on some great teams.

I wish I never typed this because I don't plan on discussing the great Jonathan Toews any further.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

If the Sedins were on a team so good that they could score 1 goal and 9 points in 17 games but still end up in the SCF like Toews did last year, then they'd have a lot more hardware.

Toews is a phenomenal player but he's also had the good fortune to play on some stacked teams as well. He has been a key member of all of them, but he's still just one guy. If you threw him on team Sweden yesterday it's not like Canada would've lost.

arsmaster*

If the Sedins were on a team so good that they could score 1 goal and 9 points in 17 games but still end up in the SCF like Toews did last year, then they'd have a lot more hardware.

Toews is a phenomenal player but he's also had the good fortune to play on some stacked teams as well. He has been a key member of all of them, but he's still just one guy. If you threw him on team Sweden yesterday it's not like Canada would've lost.

Blasphemy.:rant:

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
In your view, but it is more he and his team have done more than the twins, and their team. Would the Halks have won two cups if the Canucks had toews and they had the twins?

Would he have a heart, art ross, and lester B Pearson award?

Would he have lead the Canucks to back to back President trophy's?

He is great, and there is no way anyone can argue differently, but the Twins have been pretty damn good themselves.

i get what you're saying...there are a whole bunch of variables and hypotheticals etc.

all i know is i'd take toews. not sure i can put in the effort to argue my point, i just know he'd be the guy i build a franchise around.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

see also: hossa, marian

Wetcoaster

BhR-PjQCEAASiIZ.jpg

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

Yup. Toews has had the luxury of one thing the Sedins have never had: secondary scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad