Pre-Game Talk: Blues Moves During Draft Weekend

What move or moves do you predict the Blues make over draft weekend? Pick all that apply.

• Nothing

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Trade up in 1st Round

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Trade back in 1st Round

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Trade later round picks

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Big trade...big name incoming

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Big trade...big name outgoing

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • Smaller name player trade

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We have a thread to discuss who we are drafting. Here's one to discuss what the Blues will do on the trade front. The poll is for what you think they WILL do. But write in what you think they SHOULD do as well.

I think they will be quiet and do nothing. But I'd love to see them move big names and move up, plus add a good D prospect.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I appreciate the effort to compile a sizable list of options. I do think there could be combinations of the above. Like move big name and trade up in one trade. Realizing that pick all that apply sort of covers that.

That said I don’t know what to think. I don’t think our front office has said their plans concretely enough to have the best educated guess.

LetsGoBooze

Re-tooling takes time
Jan 16, 2012
Off the cuff guess: One of our first three picks will be manipulated in a trade-up at some point AND Saad will be traded away by weekends end.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I appreciate the effort to compile a sizable list of options. I do think there could be combinations of the above. Like move big name and trade up in one trade. Realizing that pick all that apply sort of covers that.

That said I don’t know what to think. I don’t think our front office has said their plans concretely enough to have the best educated guess.

What do you think we should do?

As for the poll, just follow the formula of our resident psychic predictor. Guess wildly and blame the refs when you are wrong. #NHLDraftLotteREF

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Not expecting much other than Buch being moved out, I think we stick at 16 and make the pick.

edit: Probably should have read OP before posting lol. As for what I think we should do, its hard to say without knowing whats available out there. If we can make a swing for a top 4 dman in their early to mid 20s I am all for it, but that is highly unlikely IMO. I would also love to move up a bit if one of the top dmen starts to fall.

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
I think the Blues want to be aggressive in a particular way. That is, not being reckless and using resources efficiently. So maybe using a 3rd or 4th to trade up from one of the 2nd round picks, and I'm in favor of that. And although I like both Buch and Saad, I'd be ok to see them dealt for the right returns.

Ultimately, I chose "Nothing" because that's the likeliest option. It seems like a good draft, and we can be patient and take the players that are there, and that's ok too. I'll be mildly disappointed if this turns out to be the case - it just feels like a missed opportunity not to deal at the draft.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Ideally we'd move up from Toronto's 2nd to 30-36 and get one of the 3rd tier D prospects. That's what I would do. Not sure what Army will do. If I had to guess though, I would say no noteworthy moves.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I get the feeling that we will pick Jirecik with the reasoning he could have been a top 10 pick if not injured, risk vs reward & right hand def. It also wouldn't surprise me if we traded back with someone like the Hawks for another 2nd round pick,

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Trade Krug, Binny and Buch. Get blue chip + pick(s). If you have to pay get rid off Krug than keep him and play out his contract.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
Seems like around the league in general movement has been much more active than last year before the draft. I think the Blues will at least make a few moves. Detroit seems to be doing something bizarre up there.

Reactions: tfriede2

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I don't think we pick at 16. I think we trade up to 10 or so for a top D-man that's slipped, or down to 20-22 for a player like Hage/Luchanko.

Could see Buchnevich being dealt but I'm expecting that to be a deadline deal.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I'm going with multiple options.

I think Army's wheeling and dealing this weekend to shuffle things around.

Move Buch out.
Bring in a #2 center(possibly in the Buch deal/possibly separate) and a top 4 D man.
Move up in the 1st for one of the D men
And shuffle some later picks around(forgot to hit that button)

I think it's entirely possibly that Army tries to get the team "set" while completely avoiding the UFA market. There's just not a lot available that really fits what we need.

LetsGoBooze

Re-tooling takes time
Jan 16, 2012
If we do trade Buchnevich at the draft you would have to imagine one of the pieces coming back would be a later 1st. Probably somewhere in the 20s. Assuming that what player would target in that range?
If this plays out, I would want us to do one of two things:

1. Draft Solberg or Jiriciek. Especially If we had stayed put at 16, and took BPA which is looking more and more like a fwd, so taking the best D avail later on makes a ton of sense to me.

2. If we had landed a D at 16, or had moved up for one, trade the later fist acquired in a package for McGroarty.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If this plays out, I would want to land Solberg or Jiriciek. Especially If we had stayed put at 16, and took BPA which is looking more and more like a fwd, so taking the best D avail later on makes a ton of sense to me.

I think there is a chance that Jiricek could slide into the 20s I don't think there is any chance Solberg does. His rise has been meteoric, honestly I think he is a good candidate for the Blues at 16 if he isn't already gone. If we do get another pick in the 20s, I would be willing to roll the dice on Jiricek at that point. Other names that would be interesting are Emery, Freij and Elick if we go defense.

I know its unlikely but I would like to see the Blues go defense heavy in the first 3 rounds this draft. I feel like the depth at defense is much better than the offense when you get out of the 1st round. Guys I would like to see the Blues target with their two 2nds: Badinka, Kleber, Brunicke, Pulkkinen, Shuravin and Marrelli

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I voted for the "trade later round picks" just because usually there's some movement in those rounds with teams doing minor deals and swaps, trade up in the first round is related as I can definitely see us using some of our 3rd and/or 2nd round picks to move up into the late 1st round or early second round again if we like some other players in those spots.

That said I can see any of the other options playing out in some form, and as multiple posts have mentioned, the possibility of a Buch trade looms large.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Any deal happening would have to be absolutely outlandish to the point that it makes some fans (possibly including myself) post fire all season or more.

Given we're a half glass full team right now, I'm going to say we don't do jack and draft with the picks we got. If we trade anything, it'll be picks and rando prospects for more picks.

Reactions: southsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad