Other Sports: Soccer/Football Thread Part Six

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Key question re: England I have, tho, is - was Kane injured? What on earth was that performance if he was not? Some sort of trickle-down of SouthgateBall tactical incompetence?

If a key player in NHL playoffs plays this shit, we usually read about broken bones or punctures lungs not long after the last game.

If he was injured, why play him so much without any effectiveness?

Edit:

1721048606001.png

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Key question re: England I have, tho, is - was Kane injured? What on earth was that performance if he was not? Some sort of trickle-down of SouthgateBall tactical incompetence?

If a key player in NHL playoffs plays this shit, we usually read about broken bones or punctures lungs not long after the last game.

Edit:

View attachment 895018

Shouldn't have played as much as he did but Southgate refuses to drop big names. The same reason Foden starred eveeygame despite looking like -- and all apologies to @Appleyard here -- the worst player on the pitch most games.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Shouldn't have played as much as he did but Southgate refuses to drop big names. The same reason Foden starred eveeygame despite looking like -- and all apologies to @Appleyard here -- the worst player on the pitch most games.

I always think when your team has:

The top scorer in Europe.
PL player of the season.
La Liga player of the season.

And they all look like crap... it is beyond the players. The only time England looked any good was when they were trailing in games (before they tied it, when went back to being crap).

These guys play on teams with some of Spain's best players... and week-to-week? Play better than them. Yet when play for England? Everyone goes down a level.

What other team in the world is kicking long balls everywhere right now?

And this, jesus.

I dont think it really matters who plays when have comedy tactics stuck in the 1990s... in league one...

I think the main reason they often looked better when Palmer and Watkins/Toney came on is the switch in tactics that came with it, and the fact it was always when chasing the game. Now, they are all good players too! But individual players - no matter who - have far less blame than the same shit we have seen for 6 years now game in, game out.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
England were EIGHTEENTH in Euro qualifiers in ExG/game (1.56) behind Poland, Hungary, Ireland and Israel...

and only EIGHTH in ExG %.

The writing has been on the wall for so long in terms of how they play. Ridiculous they even got past Slovakia and Switzerland, both were better.

England vs top 10 teams in the world (at the time of the game) this decade

1-2 loss vs Spain
2-1 win vs Netherlands
2-2 draw vs Belgium
0-1 loss vs Brazil
1-2 loss vs France
3-3 draw vs Germany
0-1 loss vs Italy
0-0 draw vs Italy
1-1 draw vs Germany
1-1 s.o loss vs Italy
2-0 win vs Germany
0-2 loss vs Belgium
2-1 win vs Belgium

13 games

3 wins
4 draws
6 losses

8/13 games with 1 or less goals for.

15 goals for
17 goals against

kings of low scoring games and vs the best that gets found out.

Reactions: Starat327

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

PL player of the season.

And they all look like crap... it is beyond the players.

I'm not an England supporter (German ancestry, sorry) but I was thinking that exact thing. How can you have those players and have no identifiable attack? It's crazy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

PL player of the season.

And they all look like crap... it is beyond the players. The only time England looked any good was when they were trailing in games (before they tied it, when went back to being crap).

These guys play on teams with some of Spain's best players... and week-to-week? Play better than them. Yet when play for England? Everyone goes down a level.

What other team in the world is kicking long balls everywhere right now?

And this, jesus.

I dont think it really matters who plays when have comedy tactics stuck in the 1990s... in league one...

I think the main reason they often looked better when Palmer and Watkins/Toney came on is the switch in tactics that came with it, and the fact it was always when chasing the game. Now, they are all good players too! But individual players - no matter who - have far less blame than the same shit we have seen for 6 years now game in, game out.

For sure. Foden is a phenomenal player. He just looked lost out there because he was told to go something he's not used to doing. Saka wasn't really any different, to be honest. It's the downside of having those two hammered into pep/arteta systems and not having the rest of the team there with them to be on the same page.

I dont think it's a coincidence that Rice, Saka, Foden - some of the PL best players - all looked poor. It's because they aren't used to playing shit football and can't operate in that environment.

Reactions: Appleyard

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They should have had Maddison on the squad. At least you know he can create chances in the final 3rd. Of course you still have to get into the final 3rd…

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Edit:

View attachment 895018
Back injury, I think. Also effected him at the end of the Bundesliga season. He missed the last two games of the season which was funny because people were waiting for him to receive the trophy for the player with the most goals in a season which is a cannon.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a photo of him with that trophy anywhere. Seems he really made sure not to be photographed holding a cannon. :laugh:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think England needs another midfielder to o go along with Rice. He pushed forward more as an 8 with Arsenal this year and I think he is very good there, so probably more of a 6. Mainoo was terrible yesterday, granted he is only 18 and maybe in two years he can be ready for that role.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Spain had 6/7 games in the tournament over 1.5 ExG...
What could've been if the ref gave that handball penalty. Still not over it... Although the constant Cucurella booing was silly and embarrassing.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I think England needs another midfielder to o go along with Rice. He pushed forward more as an 8 with Arsenal this year and I think he is very good there, so probably more of a 6. Mainoo was terrible yesterday, granted he is only 18 and maybe in two years he can be ready for that role.

They also should had given Palmer more minutes for sure

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
They should have had Maddison on the squad. At least you know he can create chances in the final 3rd. Of course you still have to get into the final 3rd…
Seeing that you are a fellow Spurs supporter, don't you feel a little better that he got 2 months of rest instead? He never looked 100% after coming back from the injury.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Seeing that you are a fellow Spurs supporter, don't you feel a little better that he got 2 months of rest instead? He never looked 100% after coming back from the injury.
Ok, that’s a good point. It’s not like I really care about the England NT anyway. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad