So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Context matters. Read the thread. I don't need to regurgitate the same analysis that's already been provided.
Just because there’s reasons for a mistake, doesn’t mean it’s not a mistake.

Leafs have been bleeding depth for years, Hyman was the biggest hit.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Dubas comes from the same hockey mindset as Twitter; skill is all that matters and when faced with a decision to choose either skill or grit, you take skill every time.

Fortunately for Edmonton, Hyman is a perfect fit with them. In Dubas's defense, he wouldn't be half as effective on the Leafs.
And yet half as effective Hyman is worth $5.5m x 7 on any team. He's an anomaly.

I highly doubt anyone trying to crap on the Leafs for letting him go thought it was a good signing the day of for the Oilers.

I'm a Leafs fan and you can easily argue either one of those on their own > Tavares.
Please bring back Kadri!

Reactions: TS Quint

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Maybe is the team or Toronto media pressure? Kessel won 3 Stanley cups after leaving Toronto. Can Hyman do the same with Edmonton?

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
I kinda agree with just about everything you're saying.

I keep saying "hindsight" because that's what we have now. Super easy to shit on an organization years later and say "they should have kept this player, they shouldn't have signed that player"

Really easy low hanging fruit if you want to rip on another team.

So I can just let it all go. It is what it is. That happened, hopefully something was learned and will be remembered.

Yeah, we really didn't have the cap room for the Hyman that was a Leaf. Tavares was a mistake, yet not a mistake at the time necessarily.

And yet, I feel like he's a very ineffective captain. Dude is a robot. Does he have an emotional pulse? Does he ever come across to anyone like in the locker room, he inspires or challenges the rest of the team?

I feel like if he has concerns about anything, he goes to management reluctanly and takes questions. I don't get the feeling he's in the room hyping them up or anything. Like just a useless leader really.

Morgan Rielly should have been the captain after Phaneuf who was also a robot type (worst Leafs captain since I've been a fan)

I should go do something else though. Zach Hyman has turned into an incredible hockey player. He is a rare thing and to think talk used to be about how he came from money and had favours galore to get into the NHL...................

Phaneuf barely got respect in the handshake line. Since the leafs got Tavares, respect has only went up.

Reactions: Norwegianoiler

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm a Leafs fan and you can easily argue either one of those on their own > Tavares.
I think it's reasonable to assess that both Kadri and Hyman had motivation when they were discarded. Hyman has 14 playoff goals and counting these playoffs, let's not forget he also had 11 in 16 games in 22. The guy's game is built for the playoffs, Kadri had 9 in 15 games in 20 right after Dubas traded him for scraps, and obcourse was a vital part of the Avs cup team with 7 in 16 games. He saluted his cup win moment with to all those that thought I was a playoff liabilty can kiss my ..... A big part of me, wants Hyman to also have his moment if he can pull off a Cup win. he would have taken a discount for the Leafs. Shake your head. As I said earlier in the thread, you can't have 2 bigger misreads of a GM of letting go 2 playoffs performers that play with a huge heart that would have killed to remain as Leafs let go for nothing, and or scraps have a huge role in winning the cup than Dubas made. I have never seen so much incompetence from a GM in all my years of following the game. Every goal Hyman scores these playoffs is just making a futher case he may be the best UFA signing in NHL history.

Last edited:

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Hyman was going to be a 25+ goal scorer for Leafs and with McDavid a 50+ goal scorer. All depends on your ice time and pp time.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
YearCapGrowthYearCapGrowth
18-1979.518-1979.5
19-2081.52.52%19-2081.52.52%
20-2181.50.00%20-2183.52.50%
21-2281.50.00%21-2287.75.00%
22-2382.51.23%22-2392.15.00%
23-2483.51.21%23-2496.75.00%
24-2587.75.03%24-25101.55.00%
25-26924.90%25-26106.65.00%

Left is actual, right is projected.

The entirety of the Tavares contract being bad and handcuffing Toronto is due to a Black Swan event. The 21-22 season was the first of the new US TV deal with TNT/ESPN, so the cap would have gone up that year without the pandemic bottoming out revenues. Hyman signs in Toronto with that extra 6 million in cap space they were "supposed" to have. When Dubas was talking about not needing to move any of the Core 4, the projection on the right was his working assumption, and he'd have been correct. Imagine how much better their depth would have been with an extra 10-15 million in cap space, with all their big contracts already signed.
Leafs fans still acting like the flat cap only happened to them. SMH.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
.... Matthews was guaranteed to get 10.5 million at minimum seeing as Eichel got 10 million and wasn't as good of a player nor had lead his team to the playoffs.
These guys aren't comparable.

Eichel took 8 years on his contract while Shanahan could only get 5 years. Over 8 years Eichel got $80m while Matthews got an average of $97,945,000 or a cap hit of $12,243,125. Vs $10m. These guys aren't comparable. The only comparable player is McDavid.....in contract only.

I don't think many Leafs fans understand what a big financial win it was for their stars to not
take 8 years.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Well, this year isn't the same as last year... so far.

Figured I started this thread last year so id bump it up this year. What happened to my boy?

hyman.PNG

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Remember last year when people were talking about how the Oilers suck and Oilers fans said over time the horrific shooting and save percentages would normalize and the team would suddenly start winning? The Oilers are second last in both categories again. It’ll normalize. Hyman is likely never finishing top 3 in the NHL in goal scoring again, but he’s pretty clearly a 60+ point guy, and will be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad