So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Dubas comes from the same hockey mindset as Twitter; skill is all that matters and when faced with a decision to choose either skill or grit, you take skill every time.

Fortunately for Edmonton, Hyman is a perfect fit with them. In Dubas's defense, he wouldn't be half as effective on the Leafs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
YearCapGrowthYearCapGrowth
18-1979.518-1979.5
19-2081.52.52%19-2081.52.52%
20-2181.50.00%20-2183.52.50%
21-2281.50.00%21-2287.75.00%
22-2382.51.23%22-2392.15.00%
23-2483.51.21%23-2496.75.00%
24-2587.75.03%24-25101.55.00%
25-26924.90%25-26106.65.00%

Left is actual, right is projected.

The entirety of the Tavares contract being bad and handcuffing Toronto is due to a Black Swan event. The 21-22 season was the first of the new US TV deal with TNT/ESPN, so the cap would have gone up that year without the pandemic bottoming out revenues. Hyman signs in Toronto with that extra 6 million in cap space they were "supposed" to have. When Dubas was talking about not needing to move any of the Core 4, the projection on the right was his working assumption, and he'd have been correct. Imagine how much better their depth would have been with an extra 10-15 million in cap space, with all their big contracts already signed.
Being the second highest paid player in the league in 18/19 after McDavid, was still an overpay,

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He wanted raise that Leafs management decided was not interested paying out. That's about it and it worked out for him in Edmonton.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hyman was a 40 pt player in toronto and got a 5.5 x 7 year contract. If the leafs would have given him that people would of lost there minds.

Man the hindsight here is ridiculous
GMs are paid to have good foresight.

Kadri + Hyman > Tavares
If Edmonton wins, both of those players will be Stanley Cup Champions while the "gods" (as Marner refers to themselves) will have one playoff series win to show for it, lol

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
QpE724u.png

Next question
Not sure what Mitch Marner has to do with this.

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
Zach Hyman has 14 goals and is by far the leading goal scorer in the Stanley Cup. He makes $5.5M per year, a complete bargain that the Leafs didn't want to pay. Unfathomable that the Leafs couldn't pay him that pittance of a salary.

How did the Leafs mismanage the Hyman situation so badly?? I know the guy that made the blunder to let him walk was let go, but my God what a team the Leafs could of had if they kept Hyman and other talented guys they just let go or traded. To make matters worse Hyman is a total beast defensively and is playing more like a $10M+ player. Just shocking mismanagement.

Discuss.

Do jack Campbell next

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Zach Hyman has 14 goals and is by far the leading goal scorer in the Stanley Cup. He makes $5.5M per year, a complete bargain that the Leafs didn't want to pay. Unfathomable that the Leafs couldn't pay him that pittance of a salary.

How did the Leafs mismanage the Hyman situation so badly?? I know the guy that made the blunder to let him walk was let go, but my God what a team the Leafs could of had if they kept Hyman and other talented guys they just let go or traded. To make matters worse Hyman is a total beast defensively and is playing more like a $10M+ player. Just shocking mismanagement.

Discuss.

Zach Hyman had 1 goal in each of his 5 playoffs with the leafs. Good on Hyman for figuring it out, but any leafs fan who watched the games objectively knew Hyman had stone hands. He could not bury for shit! But really happy for him to have figured it out in Edmonton

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Go look at the signing thread. Pretty much nobody was saying this was a good deal when it was signed.

Really easy thread to make with hindsight. Nice work

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It all has to do with the jersey… take off the blue jersey with the maple leaf and playoff losers become playoff winners. Can’t debate it.

Zack Hyman now has 68 goals on the season… 68!!

68!

Best free agent signing of all time!

Some great takes in the ZACH HYMAN SIGNING THREAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
After Matthews stole his lunch money, gave him a noogie and shoved him in a locker during RFA negotiations (with ZERO arbitration rights), I don't think Dubas had to worry much about anyone thinking he looked weak.

.... Matthews was guaranteed to get 10.5 million at minimum seeing as Eichel got 10 million and wasn't as good of a player nor had lead his team to the playoffs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Myth

Kadri was traded because Dubas is a dumbass and thought Barrie was the answer, Kadri only had a 4.5M cap hit, easily could have held on to that

Hyman wasn't extended because of term. He had 2 significant knee injuries and management was hesitant to give him a long term deal, he didn't look the same after Pionk took his knee out, luckily for him he was able to recover.

We literally spent that money on other forwards, it wasn't because of cap, it was because Dubas was/is an idiot.

Kadri was traded because he managed to get suspended in the playoffs year after year.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

UED

May 2, 2021
What I think, and I really think this is the reason why, is that Hyman isn't a good enough dangler in Dubas's mind to warrant 5.5 million per year. I don't think you'll ever see Kyle Dubas sign a player like Hyman or Pelech to those 5.5M+ contracts. He thinks they should be 4th line/AHL call-ups making 1-2M and probably can't figure out why other teams give them lots of money. But I'm sure he's in every Torey Krug and Taylor Hall sweepstake. He's also probably gonna have a career just as pathetic as David Poile's who made it to the conference finals an insanely pathetic twice in 39 years. Two human beings whom I wouldn't trust to take over as GM for my be a GM team for 5 minutes while I use the bathroom. I'd take the controller with me just to be safe.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
.... Matthews was guaranteed to get 10.5 million at minimum seeing as Eichel got 10 million and wasn't as good of a player nor had lead his team to the playoffs.
Nah, Matthew’s only had to look at what JT got, and say I’m better than him, no need to look outside the organization. Top RFA’s get paid now.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Not to bash Hyman or anything, I think he's a fine player, but he's playing on a line with the best player the world has ever seen.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
My favorite part about the Hyman signing is Dubas acting all high and mighty about trading his rights.

Edmonton was giving you FREE draft picks, and Dubas was like I'm not gonna help out another team that isnt even in my conference.

If they were in the division, or conference maybe i could understand that thinking.
(Like Calgary trading rights to Edmonton)

Otherwise it straight idiotic to suddenly develop a backbone and maintain a hard bargain, while otherwise caving to every contract demand that you signed.

just another episode of when keeping it real goes wrong with Kyle Dubas

1717450717680.png

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Being the second highest paid player in the league in 18/19 after McDavid, was still an overpay,
I mean, this pretty much shuts down any arguments about "the cap wasn't expected to remain the same due to COVID" arguments.

Regardless of whether the cap was expected to go up, and by how much, the fact of the matter is Tavares (at the time of signing) became the second highest paid player in hockey. In his entire tenure in Toronto, he wasn't even CLOSE to the second best player in hockey.

That's what made it an overpay and a bad signing. The fact he was paid to be today's equivalent of a MacKinnon/Matthews/Draisaitl-level player, but instead he was a Scheifele/Barzal-level player instead.

Reactions: TS Quint

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well over 400 posts now.

Looks like the Hyman talk has broken

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What Ive been told is that Hyman is an annual 50 goal scorer even without McDavid.
I don't think it matters what you've been told.

We are enjoying Hyman for what he is, we don't care what others think. We are getting the results no one else has or expected. I'll take it. Heck, we're in the finals now after starting 2-9-1. Hyman is the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad