Slafkovsky vs Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who has the higher ceiling?

• Total voters

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
On Spittin’ Chiclets, Biz said he spoke to Shane Doan, who works for the Leafs now, and he said that Doan thinks Sennecke could easily be the 2nd best player in the draft after Celebrini. He said that he has a ton of room to put on muscle and get really strong.
Starts around the 2 hour 6 minute mark. Looking forward to seeing who will bash Shane Doan for his opinion.

A Loyal DEMIGOD

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
If we're talking strictly ceiling, then there's no way of really knowing what Sennecke will be able to do in the NHL yet. I only picked Slafkovsky because he's already proving to be very good and on a similar progress path as Rantanen.

What a weird poll though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't even get the comparison between them as two "big" raw wingers. Slaf was 50 lbs heavier on draft day. He will always be the bigger, stronger, faster player. Athletically speaking it's not close between the two.

StutzlesNumber1Fan

Jun 19, 2024
I hate to say it but Slaf has all the tools to be a dominate player for years to come. Sennecke I think tops out as a very very good 2nd line guy, or a decent 1st liner. Slaf is going to be an amazing 1st liner, the 2nd half of the season shows the dude is legit.

Reactions: waitin425

BeckandHage

Jul 2, 2024
Slaf in his rookie year, sure.

Slaf in his sophomore year? No way. I was a hater, at first I called him lucky. After a while it was clear he was doing this stuff on purpose. He is very very smart.
Same. I Wasn't buying it.

Rookie season, Looked raw and I wasn't seeing skills of a first overall pick. Nothing in his gamr was above average. Heck, pretty much everything was below average. He couldn't stanf still ffs. Few goal, liabiliy then injured. Wasnt looking good.

Year 2: Wasnt very good in pre season games. Was dexent in game 1 and 2 of the season ut quckly went downhill. He was maybe not as bad as Year 1 but not that far.

Started to get a few points here and there in Nov and Dec. I was still hating on him. Wasny worthy of that 1st overall pick.

IIRC Around mid January he was playing on the first line instead

From now on til the end he showed: Creativy, poise n calm making the big play. The big passes. Showed very nicr.playmaking and passing abilities. Ability to deflect/redirect puck. Strong along tjhe boards. It was harder and harder for opponent to win battles vs him on the boards.He used his reach to his advantage. Showing good IQ of the game offensively. Not as sharp defensively but wotking hard and taking pride to stake back to his man etc. Hustle. What I find more average to his game its his shot which is still a decent shot. Now I dont hate and I get why he was a first pick.overall.

Oct 18, 2011
It's funny how draft position can skew perception.

If Sennecke went where he actually should've gone (fringe top 10), this thread wouldn't even exist.

Anaheim reaching doesn't magically make him a Slafkovsky level player.
You have no idea what level of player he's going to be, none of us do

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm not exactly sure why we are comparing a 6'4 240 lbs to a 6'2 180 lbs has being two "big" bodies. They are not even in the same universe when it comes to physicality. I like Sennecke a lot and I think his potential is quite high but he's also put up a 68 points in 63 games season in the OHL in his draft year.

Sennecke:

Ceiling is the atmosphere
Likelihood of hitting it low
Slippery yet strong skating
Calculated dekes and passes
Extra Gear

Slafkovsky:

Big Mobile Forward
High impact hands
Above average shot: Wrist and 1 timer
Balance is suspect
IQ is maybe slightly above average
Has ELITE grit
I don't think I have seen Slafs get knocked off the puck over the last 25 to 30 games of the season. The guy must have won over 85% of his puck battle. He was a menace in the corners.

Reactions: Weztex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad