Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Trouba can only refuse to report in the fall. Not in the summer.

Trouba can NOT block a trade to a team not on his list.

Trouba CAN refuse to report to the new team in the fall.

So again... why would a team give up assets and handcuff themselves with Trouba?

Trouba will report to the Rangers and can not block a trade. So again, the Rangers can't terminate his contract for failure to report, because he WILL report to the Rangers.
This is exactly why you waive him and call his bluff since he wont report to HFD, and if it angers some of the other guys in the locker room, then they can also waive their various NMCs, NTCs, and M-NTCs. Team isn't winning anything the way its currently constructed.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trouba can only refuse to report in the fall. Not in the summer.

Trouba can NOT block a trade to a team not on his list.

Trouba CAN refuse to report to the new team in the fall.

So again... why would a team give up assets and handcuff themselves with Trouba?

Trouba will report to the Rangers and can not block a trade. So again, the Rangers can't terminate his contract for failure to report, because he WILL report to the Rangers.
I mean if Trouba is telling teams not on his list he won’t report, then you have to send him to Hartford because you can’t let players hold you hostage.

That’s a really bad precedent to let Trouba set. If they only tried to move him to teams he could block, that’s fair play by Trouba. If he is scaring teams that aren’t on his list, you cannot have that as an organization

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is only one Ranger poster who believes that to be true.

It has been widely reported that Trouba was asked for his 15 team list days before it was due. Not a year+ before it was due.

Trouba currently has a 15 team NTC.

His NMC is no longer in effect.

Again:

I don't believe it works like that.

We can't terminate his contract. The new team (where he would fail to report) would have to terminate his contract.

So the trading team would have to trade for him with assets, and then go through the termination procedures which would only happen when Trouba failed to report in the fall. So that team would be out assets, and would be handcuffed until the contract is terminated.

No team is going to do that if there is even the remote chance that Trouba fails to report.
I could be wrong but I think @RangerBoy has it right.
When he reports is secondary.
He has a contractual obligation to accept a trade, i.e., a transfer of his rights by a club to employ his services, from one club to another, presuming the second club is not on any list which is a separate clause between the parties on top of the basic clause.

If he fails to honor and fulfill the contract w'o just legal cause, he has provided grounds for Rs to invalidate his contract.
IMO that would precede the transfer to a second club

It would be preferable to make lemonade out of lemons here and deal him ++++ to Ilses for Dobson

Not seeing a deal to NJ

Either location, he/wife for1 yr can get high transport options to min travel time betw home and their work locations

But if there is no other option, I believe Rs can move to terminate
would be very undesirable ugly look, but recover full 8m cap

Reactions: Atax

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Choose your off season. Be kind to yourself.
8w1a4s.jpg

grachevsceiling

Jul 2, 2024
Trouba to the Islanders for Julien Gauthier.

Let Lou figure out the cap.

Rangers get a guy who can drive to the net with speed and who takes two dumb penalties a game.

Islanders get a guy who will try to injure the entire Rangers team and who takes two dumb penalties a game

The Rangers will play with a chip on their shoulder after the embarrassment of their captain being traded away to a division rival—or they won’t, in which case Drury will know to blow it up.

Julien Gauthier will have a career year.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I mean if Trouba is telling teams not on his list he won’t report, then you have to send him to Hartford because you can’t let players hold you hostage.

That’s a really bad precedent to let Trouba set. If they only tried to move him to teams he could block, that’s fair play by Trouba. If he is scaring teams that aren’t on his list, you cannot have that as an organization
Some people will look at it as "his agent is doing his job" -- but when all is said and done, there is nothing the organization or the league can do about it. It's not illegal because it's not covered by the CBA or any NHL rules. It's just another version the way players manipulate their way to the team of their choice by saying they only want to play for "X". Also, the fact that the lists are not part of the contract make it even more difficult for anyone to do anything.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some people will look at it as "his agent is doing his job" -- but when all is said and done, there is nothing the organization or the league can do about it. It's not illegal because it's not covered by the CBA or any NHL rules. It's just another version the way players manipulate their way to the team of their choice by saying they only want to play for "X". Also, the fact that the lists are not part of the contract make it even more difficult for anyone to do anything.
And that’s why you send him to Hartford.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't see how it would have changed anything. Trouba would have been under no obligation to provide the list a month ago. And if he did, it still wouldn't change the dynamic where he's apparently making it known he won't go anywhere else, effectively scaring other teams away from trading for him. For whatever it's worth, Arthur Staple reported that's what happened, that Trouba was asked for the list last week and refused to submit it until Monday morning, which was the deadline.

IMO the reporting has been off on this since the beginning. Brooks says he's close to being traded and Friedman even says the same thing on TV during the draft. Then it falls apart, and we hear that things are acrimonious, Trouba is shocked and hurt. And then Brooks issues a rare acknowledgement that what he had originally was wrong, that the trade wasn't about to happen and Trouba didn't try to kill it, and on top of that, all the discussion have been professional and cordials.

The only thing that seems to be without question is that Trouba isn't interested in being traded this year with his wife still finishing the residency and the new kid. Everything beyond that, it's a f***ing mystery what actually happened.

There's plenty of things one can criticize Drury for, but the guy isn't an idiot. That getting rid of Trouba was going to be an adventure was obvious even to a regular guy like me; I got into a lengthy argument about it the night before free agency opened. At that time I laid out basically this exact situation, where Trouba could just tell everyone he didn't want to move, and then no one would take him. This isn't me tooting my own horn, I'm just bringing it up to say that if I could see this situation unfolding, I'm sure the Rangers could, too, and I didn't even know about the residency being delayed or whatever that is.

My guess is, the reality is that the Rangers had some exploratory talks with Detroit and whoever else, made progress, broached the subject with Trouba knowing he might bristle at it, he did, and they simply backed off. And the rest of it is just speculation from angry fans who want the guy gone (I want him gone, too, for what it's worth).
How DARE you make a reasonable, logical post that doesn’t make huge ass assumptions and that also really don’t make a lot of sense? I’ll be watching you.

All kidding aside. This really does seem most likely and I hope it’s true because I didn’t like thinking that Trouba was acting in an underhanded fashion the way the rumors were indicating.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Apologies for inserting myself into a conversation that I'm not involved in, but I just don't see the leak coming from the Rangers org. Love him or hate him, Drury runs a very tight ship as far as info leaks go. They just fired Ramsey for exactly this reason. Unless Drury approved the leak for some 3D chess reason, I have a hard time believing that the leak came from NYR.
Are we sure it was a leak? Brooks ran with it but now says the trade never existed.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Here's the thing, if media members don't have all the facts they should shut the f up.

The way every single one of them handled this situation, I have no interest in any thing they have to say. As far as I'm concerned just about anything they say is a lie for click bait.

And I'll add, we all may not agree with each other here on every situation, but I put more stock into what posters here have then any of the card holding media members.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know people are bummed out about Trouba not waiving but I'm failing to see a path towards moving Trouba at this point and improving the team. Sure they would offload the contract but who are they getting to replace his minutes at this point?

Lindgren is a different story. He should have value around the league and a guy like Kylington is still out there

I found this interesting too. CapFriendly has (1) scouting report from November of 2023 but they rank him as a top-pairing d-man still...

Can anyone post Trouba's card from the last 2 years? I'm curious how it differs from this

1720200392230.png

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
another thing the Islanders are better than us at. Without even trying they got Lubovir Visnovsky to refuse to report and here we are failing to get Trouba to not report.

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I have issues with Trouba's performance on the ice, but I'm not in such a scurry for him to get moved that it's worth doing what the entire media mob did by throwing him and his family under the bus. Literal defamation of character they pulled.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What team is going to even try to trade for him at this point? He’s already created an insane amount of drama and no team is going to bother trading for a guy who may or may not show up, and if he does won’t be happy.

The ship has sailed, Trouba’s antics worked great for him and he f***ed the team over. Guy should be booed everytime he touches the puck at MSG.

Again, NOBODY is going to want to trade for him after the shit he pulled. It’s not worth their time, it’s not like he’s some elite defenseman that some front offices might overlook and hope he actually shows up and actually plays like he wants to be there. Detroit moved on and spent their cap on Kane and Tarasenko after the Trouba drama.

Yea this is exactly it. It's not like Trouba had a ton of trade value to begin with. I'm sure it is now effectively zero.

And he won't be waived because the NYR org still views him as a good player, just an expensive one. It was about $8M on the 3rd pair vs what they could turn that into on 7/1. Now 7/1 is over. I strongly disagree with their assessment but that is what everything they've done to date would indicate.

When they extend Lindgren it will be the chef's kiss. Entire org and media is focused on RW and doesn't understand how big a problem the defense is. We're in for a long painful ride.

Are we sure it was a leak? Brooks ran with it but now says the trade never existed.

Damage control 101

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Threatening to not report is not breaching a contract.
Is threatening a breech or do you have to follow through for it to be a breech?

I have seen players in all sports make that kind of threat. 9 times out of 10 they usually report. Few people are walking away from their career and millions of dollars for too long.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
There is only one Ranger poster who believes that to be true.

It has been widely reported that Trouba was asked for his 15 team list days before it was due. Not a year+ before it was due.

Trouba currently has a 15 team NTC.

His NMC is no longer in effect.

Again:

I don't believe it works like that.

We can't terminate his contract. The new team (where he would fail to report) would have to terminate his contract.

So the trading team would have to trade for him with assets, and then go through the termination procedures which would only happen when Trouba failed to report in the fall. So that team would be out assets, and would be handcuffed until the contract is terminated.

No team is going to do that if there is even the remote chance that Trouba fails to report.
You stipulate in the deal that on the condition he doesn’t report, if they terminate the contract we return the assets. In that case it cost them zero and we shed the entire cap hit.
But everything that was reported may well be nonsense.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
You stipulate in the deal that on the condition he doesn’t report, if they terminate the contract we return the assets. In that case it cost them zero and we shed the entire cap hit.
But everything that was reported may well be nonsense.

Sure but with limited trade value to begin with, does a team like Detroit really want to take that headache on? Possible negative PR? NHL GMs are the most risk averse across any major sport. Just a whiff may be enough to nuke the limited trade market.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Maybe the whole Tuba situation was a blessing in disguise. Kept Drury from making some ridiculous signing that we were seeing when free agency began.

At this point what's even the need to trade him right now? Drury already grabbed a winger to fill the hole at RW. It doesn't seem like he's going to upgrade LD, what would we even need the cap space for at this point? Push it off till next summer I guess...

Reactions: Guyute

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad