Slafkovsky vs Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who has the higher ceiling?

• Total voters

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He was, and he has been. As recently as ~6 months ago, most of the Habs board wanted him demoted to the AHL. Then he broke out and wiped away all memory of that, apparently.
Sending a 19 year old to the A doesn't make him a project. Take a break from posting unenlightened crap for clicks and read the scouting reports in his draft year.

A project is a player that you HOPE becomes an NHLer.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Sending a 19 year old to the A doesn't make him a project. Take a break from posting unenlightened crap for clicks and read the scouting reports in his draft year.

That’s not even remotely what ”project” means, and Slafkovsky absolutely was a project lmao

• Haha
Reactions: BLNY

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

Nope. Thats your own personal definition of the term. I’m not here to argue semantics.

And I think it’s you who needs to take a break because you are clearly upset. That’s two posts now where you’ve responded to me with an unnecessary hostile tone unprovoked.

Here’s a tip for next time: if you don’t like a thread/post/topic, just ignore it instead of whining and getting upset.

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

Save us Celebrini!
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I just don't think Slaf has the IQ.

He has all of the physical tools but will he ever truly put it together? He reminds me of Evander Kane, who could score a bajillions points playing with Mcdavid and Drai but he just doesn't put two and two together.

• Haha
Reactions: KevSkillz4

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

He has all of the physical tools but will he ever truly put it together? He reminds me of Evander Kane, who could score a bajillions points playing with Mcdavid and Drai but he just doesn't put two and two together.
The guy was near ppg for half the year on a shitty team without much offensive support in his 19y season and you think he will never put it together? His stats and eye test show exactly the opposite.

Reactions: Trojans86

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

Slaf's vision and playmaking is off the charts.

His IQ was labelled a concern early when he was getting lit up but it wasn't at all and issue last year. I actually think his "IQ" is elite.

Reactions: hellwar9

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The guy was near ppg for half the year on a shitty team without much offensive support in his 19y season and you think he will never put it together? His stats and eye test show exactly the opposite.
I mean this is the same argument canadian fans were using with caufields goal scoring... then the next season it dropped down.

Half seasons dont = full seasons, we were told he was a lock for 40+

Not doubting slaf tho, i think hes great.... and going to be a very good player for a very long time... i just dont like the "he was this for half the year"

Reactions: Demigod11

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
He was, and he has been. As recently as ~6 months ago, most of the Habs board wanted him demoted to the AHL. Then he broke out and wiped away all memory of that, apparently.
Yea Slaf was definitely viewed as a project. He was very raw when we drafted him - we banked on his potential and it's paid off way faster than I anticipated

Reactions: Demigod11 and OKR

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yea Slaf was definitely viewed as a project. He was very raw when we drafted him - we banked on his potential and it's paid off way faster than I anticipated
Exactly. Not sure why that other poster is losing it over calling him a project. He was.

Reactions: OKR

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I mean this is the same argument canadian fans were using with caufields goal scoring... then the next season it dropped down.

Half seasons dont = full seasons.
It dropped down because of his awful shooting% and injury. Every metric show that his production should have been higher with the way he played. During a career, player have up and down season. Having 65pts in a down season his excellent. Everyone who watched Slaf play know what kind of player he is and his IQ have never been a question mark

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Overall you take the bird in the hand in Slafkovsky, but on pure upside/potential it's clearly Sennecke. He has elite handling and playmaking skill and would be insane if he develops well physically.

Thinking back to the 2022 draft (I had Slaf #1), I have two players I definitely take ahead of Slafkovsky in Celebrini and Demidov, and I would have considered taking Buium, Lindstrom, and Sennecke ahead. They're my top 5 this year.

Holy f*ck this Sennecke kid is going to have a lot to prove

It's a question about upside/potential. You don't have to bet on him reaching his upside. Just that if 90% of everything breaks right for each of these kids, who will be the best?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Not doubting slaf tho, i think hes great.... and going to be a very good player for a very long time... i just dont like the "he was this for half the year"
That’s why you can’t just stat watch. He was creating loads of chances and dominating physically. He’s not the same player he was even 9 months ago. The progression has been incredible and there’s nothing that indicates that it was a fluke.

BeckandHage

Jul 2, 2024
Been reading this forum for the last two year or so. Last few days, I've seen a lot of take from Garbageyuk, I have yet to see one of them that made sense.

There isn't a lot of player in the league that have the size/skills combo of Slaf.

Sennecke is far from being NHL ready. Super skilled but I don't see him posting 20-30-50 and ppg 2nf half at his D+2 season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
These are two completely different players...not even sure why they should be compared.

The real comparison to be made is Sennecke vs Demidov. Both are projected to be explosive scorers and if the Ducks had taken Demidov it is very possible that Montreal would have taken Sennecke.

Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

He got a sh% of 8.9 last season. It's an off year for him. He certainly doesn't have a below average shot. At 12.5% he'd score 39. Keep in mind most of the good NHL scorers are above 13% so this is not an exaggeration. One odd year it will be the opposite and he'll shoot at 18+%. Reinhart shot 24.5% this year lol

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Overall you take the bird in the hand in Slafkovsky, but on pure upside/potential it's clearly Sennecke. He has elite handling and playmaking skill and would be insane if he develops well physically.

Thinking back to the 2022 draft (I had Slaf #1), I have two players I definitely take ahead of Slafkovsky in Celebrini and Demidov, and I would have considered taking Buium, Lindstrom, and Sennecke ahead. They're my top 5 this year.

It's a question about upside/potential. You don't have to bet on him reaching his upside. Just that if 90% of everything breaks right for each of these kids, who will be the best?
I mean, this is kind of a ridiculous proposition because Slafkovsky is soooo far ahead right now and it's not like he has low upside either. I'm sure if Slafkovsky was playing junior the past 2 years, he'd have nice highlights... I like Sennecke, but I don't see the comparaison at all. Why not compare to Lindstrom or Demidov?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean, this is kind of a ridiculous proposition because Slafkovsky is soooo far ahead right now and it's not like he has low upside either. I'm sure if Slafkovsky was playing junior the past 2 years, he'd have nice highlights... I like Sennecke, but I don't see the comparaison at all. Why not compare to Lindstrom or Demidov?

Sennecke has a ton of runway left so his top upside, if you account for the insane tools he already has, is through the roof.

You might have missed the first thing I said, I certainly take the bird in the hand in Slafkovsky. This conversation is about upside/potential not necessarily the median or average outcomes.

Demigod Gloves

Oct 1, 2017
Sennecke:

Ceiling is the atmosphere
Likelihood of hitting it low
Slippery yet strong skating
Calculated dekes and passes
Extra Gear

Slafkovsky:

Big Mobile Forward
High impact hands
Above average shot: Wrist and 1 timer
Balance is suspect
IQ is maybe slightly above average
Has ELITE grit
I think your knowledge of both players is suspect when Sennecke is always on his ass in junior and Slaf is a beast around the boards in the nhl.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He has elite handling and playmaking skill and would be insane if he develops well physically.
No he doesn’t. He produced assists at the same rate as Lindstrom who gets knocked/questioned on his playmaking.

One of the main criticisms of Sennecke is that he doesn’t utilize his team mates enough and gets tunnel vision in the offensive and neutral zones trying to deke through multiple defenders all the time instead of making the smart/simple play or pass.

Sennecke’s strengths are his hands and one on one creativity. Playmaking is an area of concern for him as much as it is for Lindstrom.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No he doesn’t. He produced assists at the same rate as Lindstrom who gets knocked/questioned on his playmaking.

One of the main criticisms of Sennecke is that he doesn’t utilize his team mates enough and gets tunnel vision in the offensive and neutral zones trying to deke through multiple defenders all the time instead of making the smart/simple play or pass.

Sennecke’s strengths are his hands and one on one creativity. Playmaking is an area of concern for him as much as it is for Lindstrom.

I like it for both of them. The concerns I had about Sennecke's play selection were largely evaporated by his playoffs where he brought everything together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad