Proposal: Skinner to NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Come now... Canes fans have mocked every single Jeff Skinner thread that has been created over the past 2-3 years because they are all exactly the same. This isn't discriminatory.

Nobody wants to pay the real cost for a 24 year old 30 goal scorer. Everybody thinks they can low ball the Canes because he is "injury prone" (he isn't) and he "needs a change of scenery" (he doesn't). Skinner has played 93.5% of games over the past three seasons. That is 230 of 246 games. Skinner had arguably his best year as a Hurricane last year at 23 years old.

The narrative is just funny at this point.

This^^ ...pretty much sums it up.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
So the OP makes a "bad trade" proposal. Not one other Islander fan agrees with OP. Every Cane fan makes a mockery out of the post. A simple no would have been fine, but I guess the childish remarks are the better route? :facepalm:

When you have a drinking game thread dedicated to the outrageous Skinner proposals we receive - it starts to all make sense.

Also start to feel a bit looser too ;)

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
If you want an honest discussion of the proposal, I'll give an opinion. As an islander fan, I would decline. There is just too much risk with skinner. He's great, but the isles don't have enough helmets to protect him. I'd rather keep strome than worry about skinner. Grabo is a nullity as he is one concussion ahead of skinner and should be ltir.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
It must be nice being a fan of a team that doesn't receive ridiculous trade proposals on this board on a weekly basis huh? :help:

Well as someone who wasn't aware of all factors included how would I know about "bad Skinner proposals"? Like I said, ONE Islander fan proposed it and he was the only ONE who spoke about it again. I really feel bad for you guys, I'm sure your the only team who receives bad trade proposals. :facepalm:. Again, I have no idea what Skinner value is so I won't even bother trying.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
If you want an honest discussion of the proposal, I'll give an opinion. As an islander fan, I would decline. There is just too much risk with skinner. He's great, but the isles don't have enough helmets to protect him. I'd rather keep strome than worry about skinner. Grabo is a nullity as he is one concussion ahead of skinner and should be ltir.

It's not a good enough deal to land SKinner (understandable from the Canes perspective). Wow, summed up in 10 seconds instead of childish remarks...AMAZING!

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
It's not a good enough deal to land SKinner (understandable from the Canes perspective). Wow, summed up in 10 seconds instead of childish remarks...AMAZING!

I agree that it's value heavily favors the isles, but I am tired of watching for concussions. Skinner is clearly better than the op offer, but I don't want to watch for and wonder about the next big hit on Skinner.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I agree that it's value heavily favors the isles, but I am tired of watching for concussions. Skinner is clearly better than the op offer, but I don't want to watch for and wonder about the next big hit on Skinner.

Apparently SOME fans can't have a debate without blowing some gaskets lol.

66124124.jpg

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
another thing to consider if we traded skinner, is the amount of 17 yo girls in north carolina that would riot because he wouldn't be able to take them to prom

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Every player in the NHL has pros and cons to their game, and every fanbase is intent to post about how none of the cons remotely affect that player's value and we need to focus only on the pros to accurately judge their value.

Like it or not, Skinner is injury prone. As is Grabo, as is Halak, as was DiPietro, the list could go on and on and on. Asking another team to simply ignore those negative factors when making an offer is like a real estate agent asking prospective buyers to ignore the flooded basement when making their purchase.

Ditto for if a player has character concerns, if they're a pending UFA, if they're an RFA asking for a boatload of money, if a team has a lot of forwards but really needs a defenseman, if there's pending legal troubles, etc etc. Not a single one of those factors matters, only how many points they put up in their best season 6 years ago.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Every player in the NHL has pros and cons to their game, and every fanbase is intent to post about how none of the cons remotely affect that player's value and we need to focus only on the pros to accurately judge their value.

Like it or not, Skinner is injury prone. As is Grabo, as is Halak, as was DiPietro, the list could go on and on and on. Asking another team to simply ignore those negative factors when making an offer is like a real estate agent asking prospective buyers to ignore the flooded basement when making their purchase.

Ditto for if a player has character concerns, if they're a pending UFA, if they're an RFA asking for a boatload of money, if a team has a lot of forwards but really needs a defenseman, if there's pending legal troubles, etc etc. Not a single one of those factors matters, only how many points they put up in their best season 6 years ago.

If anyone wants some insight into why Canes fans have made a big joke out of Skinner proposals, give this post a nice long read. Soak it in. Contemplate it. Look at the facts. After a while one realizes that legitimately zero of what this person said is true. It's a silly narrative.

The Skinner ignorance on this site is hilarious. People can't help themselves. They probably haven't watched a game Skinner has played, like ever.

I seriously can't even tell if this guy is joking. That's how silly it is.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016

The next beer is yours. Slainte

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
skinner is one hit away from being completely decapitated, with his brains scattered across the ice

skinner is the reason the nhl games are rated e10 for ages 10 and up

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm fairly certain after the 2014-15 your response would have been the EXACT opposite. I would go on, but......:deadhorse

Don't need to convince me, OP changed my mind on the first page of the thread. I'm all in, I just hope it's not too late to consummate this sweet, sweet trade.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i think we should cut jeff skinner into 30 pieces, and send one to each nhl team in exchange for a conditional 7th round pick, while keeping one to dangle in the expansion draft

he may be one hit away from retirement, but hes a brutal butchering away from making the carolina hurricanes be the entire 2019 7th round

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Like it or not, Skinner is injury prone. As is Grabo, as is Halak, as was DiPietro,

Just for clarification, what criteria do you use to say a player in "injury prone"? Contrary to popular belief, Jeff Skinner has missed a grand total of 37 games due to injury over his 6 year NHL career. (he also missed 2 games for suspension and 1 for other non-injury reasons so he's missed 40 games total). Grabovski has missed significantly more than that in just the last 2 seasons alone. Dipietro has pretty much missed entire seasons.

the list could go on and on and on. Asking another team to simply ignore those negative factors when making an offer is like a real estate agent asking prospective buyers to ignore the flooded basement when making their purchase.

The list could go on and on if you were using valid comparisons, but you aren't. Look, nobody is asking anyone to ignore Skinner's history, Canes fans are just asking people to get their facts straight and accurately represent the data rather just spouting off a popular narrative. Even your own characterization of Skinner's injury history is misleading at best. Let's stick with some facts:

Fact: Skinner has had 3 concussions early in his NHL career, nobody is debating that.
Fact: Skinner has played in ~92% of available games in his 6 year career. I don't want to spend time checking over all the data, but I bet that's better than average across all NHL players.
Fact: Skinner has missed only 37 games over 6 years due to injury.
Opinion and concern: (but not fact) is that because of those concussions, he's more susceptible to having a severe concussion than other players. That may or may not be true, but it is a valid concern.

But instead of sticking with facts, stating concerns, and portraying it accurately, what we constantly see in every trade proposal is that he is "injury prone" and "1 hit away from retirement" and "not the same since his concussions" (even though he's had a 33G and 28G season since) by fans of other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad