Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] G Yaroslav Askarov signs extension with San Jose (2 years, $2M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
And if that was the case, why not trade Saros to a legit contender who'll value him more and probably give you elite pieces while you reconstruct your roster into a better Cup contender? And what are we doing here? Every move is aimed towards building a Cup winner, you're not just building for a team to make the playoffs, lmao. Nashville would get smoked by every elite/good team in the West in a playoff series currently constructed.
:laugh:

Reactions: 37Bergenov14

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Which is why we brought in Stamkos and Marchessaiult for our second line.

I mean, sure, that's the only direction they could've gone after re-signing Saros. It gives off Lou vibes with the Islanders where the impending future rebuild is gonna brutal but they have no chance to go that route.

Yeah dude, a team with 33 year old ROR at 1C is making the West shake in their boots lmao

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I mean, sure, that's the only direction they could've gone after re-signing Saros. It gives off Lou vibes with the Islanders where the impending future rebuild is gonna brutal but they have no chance to go that route.

Yeah dude, a team with 33 year old ROR at 1C is making the West shake in their boots lmao
Uh have you seen our prospect pool? Add on the 3 1sts and 2 2nds Im sure our "rebuild" will not be brutal :laugh:

A 33 year old ROR who centered Forsberg to a 48 goal season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
And if that was the case, why not trade Saros to a legit contender who'll value him more and probably give you elite pieces while you reconstruct your roster into a better Cup contender? And what are we doing here? Every move is aimed towards building a Cup winner, you're not just building for a team to make the playoffs, lmao. Nashville would get smoked by every elite/good team in the West in a playoff series currently constructed.
Firstly, Nashville has improved from last year. Probably the team that has improved the most during this summer one could argue.

Secondly, it's quite funny when you are saying that you could move Saros for "elite pieces" or good return, while at the same time you claimed he was already in a downswing and had a lousy year (which he did to be fair). Also, two pretty good goalies were moved this summer, neither good a good return.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Can we stop for a moment, and come to the realization that Askarov is anything but a sure thing at this point? He is the goalie prospect with the most potential, but he has 3 NHL games under his belt. A team in the position that Nashville is in, can't take that chance. Saros is a top-5ish NHL goalie as it stands.

You are acting like Askarov is winning the Vezina next season with the Sharks.
This is exactly correct. When Trotz decided to sign the big 3 UFAs this summer, he absolutely had to extend Saros. No way do you shoot that kind of wad on older ufa and then try to put an untested 22yo in net and expect a cup contender.

What's odd is Askarov saying now he's cool if he's in the AHL this season, and the pittance of an extension he signed. If he actually becomes the Sharks starter this year or next he will have sold himself extremely cheap.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Firstly, Nashville has improved from last year. Probably the team that has improved the most during this summer one could argue.

Secondly, it's quite funny when you are saying that you could move Saros for "elite pieces" or good return, while at the same time you claimed he was already in a downswing and had a lousy year (which he did to be fair). Also, two pretty good goalies were moved this summer, neither good a good return.
Yeah, this whole offseason everyone's been saying goalies aren't worth much.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What's odd is Askarov saying now he's cool if he's in the AHL this season, and the pittance of an extension he signed. If he actually becomes the Sharks starter this year or next he will have sold himself extremely cheap.
I'm pretty damn sure, he will be in the NHL. You are saying he sold himself cheap. He has just guaranteed himself (assuming the Sharks don't put him the AHL and why would they) 5 million dollars during the next 3 years. He was looking at $75K this year with Nashville in the AHL.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Saros to a contender is more valuable than Saros is to Nashville, not sure how that is hard to understand at all. If you think Nashville is good enough to compete with him net to get a Cup, then go crazy. I don't think they are and them taking a slight step back while re-tooling was the smarter strategy when the Avs/Stars look like powerhouses for the next 3-5 years. Who in the West do you take the Predators over in a 7 game series next year? Not Edmonton, Avs, Stars, Vegas (this is a toss up since I think Vegas is gonna be on the downswing as well imo)

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah because Saros is the difference between them beating the Stars/Avs round 1 which who will be their opponent if they get top 3 in the Central over the course of that contract. That team couldn't score enough of Arthur Silovs to win a playoff series but yeah they'll goaltend their way through the West is surely gonna do wonders for Nashville. This was the same shit on the Saros extension thread and people saying that Nashville needed to re-sign Saros as a bridge to Askarov lmao
That fact we couldn't score against Vancouver is exactly why we added Stamkos and Marchessault. We should have enough firepower for playoff success now.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Saros to a contender is more valuable than Saros is to Nashville, not sure how that is hard to understand at all. If you think Nashville is good enough to compete with him net to get a Cup, then go crazy. I don't think they are and them taking a slight step back while re-tooling was the smarter strategy when the Avs/Stars look like powerhouses for the next 3-5 years.

Lol we're already coming out of a retool :laugh: it's clear you don't pay attention to our team.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm pretty damn sure, he will be in the NHL. You are saying he sold himself cheap. He has just guaranteed himself (assuming the Sharks don't put him the AHL and why would they) 5 million dollars during the next 3 years. He was looking at $75K this year with Nashville in the AHL.
I get that, I just don't get how he's now suddenly cool if he has to make 75k for the Sharks this year. And if he's as good as the Sharks hope he is, he probably could have commanded a longer deal for more money after this season.

Reactions: Armourboy

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That fact we couldn't score against Vancouver is exactly why we added Stamkos and Marchessault. We should have enough firepower for playoff success now.

Trusting two older guys is always a risk, Stamkos should help their anemic powerplay that destroyed them that series. I think Marchessault's goal scoring takes a dip, he shot at 15% when he's around 11% usually. I like both of those moves but does it realistically help them in the Cup chase? I don't know

Lol we're already coming out of a retool :laugh: it's clear you don't pay attention to our team.

Yep, so much so that I said Askarov would get irate after the Saros deal and probably ask out after you/most Nashville fans said he'll "trust our model of goaltending from Rinne to Saros". Really called that one too :laugh::laugh:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Saros to a contender is more valuable than Saros is to Nashville, not sure how that is hard to understand at all. If you think Nashville is good enough to compete with him net to get a Cup, then go crazy. I don't think they are and them taking a slight step back while re-tooling was the smarter strategy when the Avs/Stars look like powerhouses for the next 3-5 years. Who in the West do you take the Predators over in a 7 game series next year? Not Edmonton, Avs, Stars, Vegas (this is a toss up since I think Vegas is gonna be on the downswing as well imo)
Dude, were you in a coma July 1st? Preds are 100% in Go For It Now mode

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Saros to a contender is more valuable than Saros is to Nashville, not sure how that is hard to understand at all.
Yeah sure, I get it. But we are talking about what teams would pay for him. Ullmark and Markström are not as good as Saros IMO, but they are not that far away. They got traded for peanuts.
If you think Nashville is good enough to compete with him net to get a Cup, then go crazy.
It doesn't really matter what you and I think (I don't think they are a contender for the record), but clearly they themselves think that. And if they do, they can't be making a bet on Askarov maybe becoming better than Saros (THIS YEAR!), who is already a top-5 NHL goalie. Especially considering the value probably wasn't there. I'm sure Trotz was listening all spring long for offers about Saros.

I get that, I just don't get how he's now suddenly cool if he has to make 75k for the Sharks this year. And if he's as good as the Sharks hope he is, he probably could have commanded a longer deal for more money after this season.
C'mon, we all know he's not going to be playing for Barracuda even if that's technically possible.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah sure, I get it. But we are talking about what teams would pay for him. Ullmark and Markström are not as good as Saros IMO, but they are not that far away. They got traded for peanuts.

It doesn't really matter what you and I think (I don't think they are a contender for the record), but clearly they themselves think that. And if they do, they can't be making a bet on Askarov maybe becoming better than Saros (THIS YEAR!), who is already a top-5 NHL goalie. Especially considering the value probably wasn't there. I'm sure Trotz was listening all spring long for offers about Saros.

Then this is just beyond stupid thinking, I went through the same thinking by management of going for it in front of a good goalie with Schneider + 13-17 Devils. The Predators are far better than those Devils teams but are they top 5-7 Cup contenders in the league? If you're just trying to make a roster masquerade as a contender when it's not then you wind up running into issues in the future.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Then this is just beyond stupid thinking, I went through the same thinking by management of going for it in front of a good goalie with Schneider + 13-17 Devils. The Predators are far better than those Devils teams but are they top 5-7 Cup contenders in the league? If you're just trying to make a roster masquerade as a contender when it's not then you wind up running into issues in the future.
Problem is you are leaving out the situation Nashville was in. Trotz was either going to be in a protracted middle of the road rebuild or he could do the best he could to go for it over the next 2-3 years, he chose the later.

We were never going to be able to tank, not with Forsberg and Josi on this roster and both having full NMC's. Trading Saros for Necas doesn't change either of those situations, he would have just made us even more middle of the pack without a good starting goalie.

Now I'm one that argued Saros should have been traded two years ago, so if I'm ok with it as a fan it shouldn't be that big of a deal for anyone else.

Reactions: Gh24

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He had three NHL games under his belt. Now he has $4 million and a clear path to a starting job within a year.

Odds are Askarov starts the year with the Barracuda while the Sharks try and figure out what to do with Blackwood and Vanacek. One of them gets hurt and/or traded by February and Askarov takes over from them, starts 40 games next year in a platoon, and then takes over as the full-time starter in 2026.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
San Jose will be in the playoffs by 2026.

I think 2027 would still be a bit optimistic, but possible.

We have zero clear top 4 d-men. Three that are 4/5 (Ferraro, Walman, Ceci). Dickinson, Mukamadulin, Thrun, and Pohlkamp aren't too far out, but if we had two #4 guys from that group, it'd be a bummer, but probably realistic. And not sure any are quite top four next season.

In Celebrini and Smith, I think we've got two first line forwards in two years, and Eklund and Tofolli as second line forwards. Zetterlunds a perfect middle six tweener. Musty may get there. Bottom six looking pretty solid.

We'll add another stud in 2025 draft, but our young guys need time, some further purchased depth, and critically a #1 d-man. I've got my eyes on Matthew Schaefer, but even if he's Drew Doughty (99% chance he aint), it's still going to take another year or two.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's

Maybe hold your horses and see how the season plays out, who and what teams are injured, and how the trade deadline goes before we start predicting who Nashville may/may not, could/could not beat in the playoffs.

Reactions: Armourboy

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gonna be a better goalie by Year 2 than Saros, lol Nashville
Nashville is going to finish between 13th-20th in the league the next four years. It's the sleepiest franchise around, and no one says anything about their mediocrity because players like the market. That team badly needs a full rebuild. Trotz is taking after his friend Lou.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville is going to finish between 13th-20th in the league the next four years. It's the sleepiest franchise around, and no one says anything about their mediocrity because players like the market. That team badly needs a full rebuild. Trotz is taking after his friend Lou.
:laugh::laugh:

We're going to be done with our full rebuild after this draft. Tell me you don't know about our team without saying it.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Maybe hold your horses and see how the season plays out, who and what teams are injured, and how the trade deadline goes before we start predicting who Nashville may/may not, could/could not beat in the playoffs.

Some people don’t seem to be aware that Nashville now has 3 1st and 2 2nd and a couple valuable prospects on top of it. Nashville is in a unique situation where they have a playoff team but the only teams in the league that could have a realistic chance to outbid them in trades this year are all rebuilding teams.

They basically will walk into the season/trade deadline with first dibs to acquire whatever players become available. Their roster as currently constructed will probably be vastly improved come post-deadline. Adding the guys they added in FA was just step #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad