Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Flames haven't developed a goalie since before Nabokov. I have been of this opinion that goalie development is a severe Achilles heel of the Flames since Malarchuk left the Flames. I think I'd be more excited (not by much though) to hear that the Flames poach someone like Ian Clark than hear that the Flames won a draft lottery.

LaBarbera is fine, but I'd want better than fine TBH. To be fair to those guys, LaBarbera and Sigalet aren't bad at identifying things. What I consider both to be woefully bad at, is the mental side of the game. This affects both the rookies and veteran goalies alike.

Askarov walking in Nabokov's shadows and what I've read about Speer in interviews with Wolf and additional materials, I think SJS hands down has the mental side of the goalie development down pat. From a Flames perspective, I can only hope that Wolf does a great job on his own for his mental development. I'm jelly.
Do you mean Kipper?

Reactions: Shark Finn

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Askarov wouldn't play for Nashville anyway so given the circumstances, getting Edstrom and a conditional 1st for him is a win for them, while Askarov will get his place in the NHL with SJ, getting a ready-to-play top goalie prospect like him is a win for SJ.

To me, just a win-win situation.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
As posted on the Sharks thread...

@Hodge tried to speak an Askarov trade into existence. Askarov just asked for a trade and says he won't report to the AHL. It's as good a candidate as any, and goalie is the last open check box on the off-season checklist.

EDIT: main boards thread has someone predicting Askarov to Sharks for one of Bystedt or Edstrom.

Nashville fans like it. I kind of like it.
As posted in this original post on the roster thread and then a few more, I liked the trade at Bystedt or Edstrom. I don't like the trade sending out the VGK 1st.

This is the first Grier trade that I don't like the risk/payout profile. For this to be a positive outcome, we need to see a top end result from Askarov's development and he's shown some wobbliness in the past 2 years. Huge pedigree but more risk today than I would say 2 years ago in terms of whether he's going to hit his sky-high potential. We need him top 5/top 10 or else I don't like what we gave up.

I think I'm valuing the VGK 1st way higher than others. It's a huge luxury to have a shot at a depth D in the 10-30 slot. Especially in this draft where now that I'm tracking D, there seem to be enough that we'd pick up a great, "better than Mukh" prospect with that pick. Now it's gone.

We ALSO lose Edstrom. So our "pretty good chance of a depth C" pipeline just got weaker.

Yes, of course this trade could be a win, so it's not an F for me. it's a C+. I don't have a good feeling about the risk here. But you have to give it to Grier, dude has MASSIVE stones and it's an exciting time.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

As posted in this original post on the roster thread and then a few more, I liked the trade at Bystedt or Edstrom. I don't like the trade sending out the VGK 1st.

This is the first Grier trade that I don't like the risk/payout profile. For this to be a positive outcome, we need to see a top end result from Askarov's development and he's shown some wobbliness in the past 2 years. Huge pedigree but more risk today than I would say 2 years ago in terms of whether he's going to hit his sky-high potential. We need him top 5/top 10 or else I don't like what we gave up.

I think I'm valuing the VGK 1st way higher than others. It's a huge luxury to have a shot at a depth D in the 10-30 slot. Especially in this draft where now that I'm tracking D, there seem to be enough that we'd pick up a great, "better than Mukh" prospect with that pick. Now it's gone.

We ALSO lose Edstrom. So our "pretty good chance of a depth C" pipeline just got weaker.

Yes, of course this trade could be a win, so it's not an F for me. it's a C+. I don't have a good feeling about the risk here. But you have to give it to Grier, dude has MASSIVE stones and it's an exciting time.
To me this is a classic case of "buy low" on a potential superstar in nets. If we were buying high on him it would have cost us significantly more. Obviously the hope is to see top end results from him. Grier wouldn't have made the trade if that wasn't the hope.

Reactions: vortexy and Jargon

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Askarov wanting out was obvious once the Saros extension was agreed upon.

Lol at all the posters in the Saros extension thread that said Askarov would be fine spending his career as a backup to Saros.
I had the same backup goalie for 20 years in Franchise Hockey Manager, and even though he was just bits of code with no dreams or aspirations, I'm STILL amazed he agreed to it. An actual pro athlete (let alone one who is a touted prospect) agreeing to be a career backup would be insane lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Bartcal

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The Sharks better be very, very careful with throwing a young goaltender, who’s not a stand on his head natural type goaltender, into NHL action. Especially with a defense like they have.

That can absolutely ruin him.

It would be no different than Detroit throwing Cossa to the wolves this year. He outplayed Askarov in that playoff series, and their AHL stats were very similar last season. Plus Detroit’s defense is much better than SJs. That’s how bad the Sharks D is gonna be. Yet, nobody in their right mind would say Cossa should be playing in the NHL yet. At least another year from being a backup.

Make no mistake. You can ruin a young goaltender. Especially if they’re technical and not naturals.

As for the value of the trade? Probably about right. Nothing crazy either way. I’d just be worried that SJ is allowing a young goalie to dictate he’s playing in the NHL. Especially behind that defense. His defense in Milwaukee might have been better, when it comes to defensive structure.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
How are the Preds getting Vegas pick? I thought Calgary had that from the Noah Hanifin trade.
Calgary is getting their 2026 1st round pick in the Hanifin deal. The stipulation was that Calgary would get the 2025 1st round pick from Vegas if they still had that pick on March 10 - 2024 and it didn't end up in the top 10 but Vegas traded it to San Jose as part of the Hertl trade so Calgary now gets the 2026 pick. I've never heard of this kind of specific date stipulation before. :amazed:

Reactions: viper0220

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
San Jose is doing their rebuild right.

Potential high end #1 C prospects in Will Smith and Celebrini

Potential #1 D prospect in Sam Dickinson

And

Potential elite #1 G prospect in Askarov who already has the most difficult years of development behind him.

Take notes everyone.
Mike Grier in 2 years.

Trade Karlsson's almost unmoveable 11.5 million dollar contract with 4 years remaining on it and only retain 1.5 million AND get a high 1st rounder for it, which he turned into a #1 D Draft pick Sam Dickenson

Traded Burns contract with 3 years remaining on it.

Traded Hertl's contract with 6 years remaining on it after his 4th knee surgery And got a 1st and a first round prospect in Edstrom, then flipped them both for the #1 goalie of the future in Askarov

Traded Timo Meier as a rental who had a minimum qualifying offer of 10m dollars and got Shakir Mukhamadullin a Dman who went 1st round, Zetterlund and a 2nd ,Which turned into Leo Wallenius, a highly touted D prospect.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
The Sharks better be very, very careful with throwing a young goaltender, who’s not a stand on his head natural type goaltender, into NHL action. Especially with a defense like they have.

It would be no different than Detroit throwing Cossa to the wolves this year. He outplayed Askarov in that playoff series, and their AHL stats were very similar last season. Plus Detroit’s defense is much better than SJs. That’s how bad the Sharks D is gonna be. Yet, nobody in their right mind would say Cossa should be playing in the NHL yet. At least another year from being a backup.

Make no mistake. You can ruin a young goaltender. Especially if they’re technical and not naturals.

As for the value of the trade? Probably about right. Nothing crazy either way. I’d just be worried that SJ is allowing a young goalie to dictate he’s playing in the NHL. Especially behind that defense. His defense in Milwaukee might have been better, when it comes to defensive structure.
FWIW I don't think he's being traded for the NHL roster immediately. I think he'll start in the AHL but there will be injuries and he'll get more than 5 starts, maybe 10. We had a bunch of our AHL prospects starting games last season with Blackwood and Kahkonen out as much as we did. It's "character building" but at least our D is slightly better than last year and our forward corps is MUCH deeper and more responsible.

But the path to being the starter is very clear. One year up-and-down (but the commute is across the hallway), one year of backup or platoon, and if he's doing well, he's the starter on an ascending team in 2026.

Reactions: Bartcal and vortexy

aircobra

May 4, 2013

He'll most likely be in the AHL for the majority of the season.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Do you mean Kipper?

I'd argue Kipper wasn't developed by Calgary. He landed here and took off and never truly slowed down. IMO he succeeded in spite of who we had. Look at all the other goalies around Kipper that didn't do well. We could barely develop a passable backup goalie at that time.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'd argue Kipper wasn't developed by Calgary. He landed here and took off and never truly slowed down. IMO he succeeded in spite of who we had. Look at all the other goalies around Kipper that didn't do well. We could barely develop a passable backup goalie at that time.
Something must have been done to tweak his game in Calgary, He was horrendous in SJ. His positioning was bad and he was slow to react. It's not as if there was a development issue there as both Nabokov and Toskala were playing all-star hockey.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

From a Nashville perspective:
I wouldve loved Smith or Eklund but didnt see either as realistic targets. This then set me on Bystedt or Edström and i am fine with either. Didnt think we would get the extra 1st and the goalie prospect so that is just extra to me. Trotz did good with the situation.

Askarov can be a legit franchise starter. Hopefully now in a system that has him a clear path to that, he will settle down and stop trying to rush his progression. He should get some NHL starts this season but needs to get several AHL starts as well to keep him progressing. Say 15-20 NHL and 30 or so AHL.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Something must have been done to tweak his game in Calgary, He was horrendous in SJ. His positioning was bad and he was slow to react. It's not as if there was a development issue there as both Nabokov and Toskala were playing all-star hockey.

Yeah, I don't know what it was. Sutter wanted Toskala and settled on Kipper when SJS said no. Toskala was brutal away from SJS IIRC. I think SJS's goalie development and/or talent identification was just super underrated for a long, long time. It was highly above average, yet somehow nothing to write home about.

Reactions: coooldude

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah, I don't know what it was. Sutter wanted Toskala and settled on Kipper when SJS said no. Toskala was brutal away from SJS IIRC. I think SJS's goalie development and/or talent identification was just super underrated for a long, long time. It was highly above average, yet somehow nothing to write home about.
Warren Strelow, in my opinion was the best goalie coach of all time behind Francois Allaire.

Reactions: Bartcal and Fig

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Warren Strelow was a fantastic goalie coach. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed to wake complacent prospects regardless of coaching. Getting traded is like being fired or demoted. Some people say "woe is me" and some people go "oh yeah???? Im going to make you regret this" and work harder.

Reactions: Sparkleton and Fig

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Calgary is getting their 2026 1st round pick in the Hanifin deal. The stipulation was that Calgary would get the 2025 1st round pick from Vegas if they still had that pick on March 10 - 2024 and it didn't end up in the top 10 but Vegas traded it to San Jose as part of the Hertl trade so Calgary now gets the 2026 pick. I've never heard of this kind of specific date stipulation before. :amazed:

With deal with Montreal and this one, the Flames make some complicated deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad