Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Honestly I can’t blame him the payday difference between Milwaukee and the NHL was too much.

Edstrom to me seems like a “meh” prospect just reading up on him. Funny to think how he may be traded again at the deadline.

Reactions: hockey diva

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Chrona won a NCAA championship. Vanderklok and Korn have a proven player to work with.

Honestly I can’t blame him the payday difference between Milwaukee and the NHL was too much.

Edstrom to me seems like a “meh” prospect just reading up on him. Funny to think how he may be traded again at the deadline.

The payday between Milwaukee and the Barracuda is a rough wakeup when those California taxes hit.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Edstrom has good size, but feels like as much of a Schaefer type project to me. Never a bad think to load up on late 1sts and hope one pans out.

Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Edstrom has good size, but feels like as much of a Schaefer type project to me. Never a bad think to load up on late 1sts and hope one pans out.
That’s a fair comparison. Predators have an insane amount of former 1st round picks in the organization. I can think of like 15 off the top of my head (I am including guys like Stamkos)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would argue Askarov played his hand and played it well. He was never going to be a starter in Nashville and he wanted to go somewhere he could be.

It's his career. He has to do what is best for his development and career.
I think he would have stayed in Nash this season, but the Preds signed veteran Wedgewood to 2 year deal. Now, Askarov might be thinking, he's on a 1 way deal and I'm waiver exempt, so even if I am better at camp/pre-season, they may just send me down since I can clear waivers, and they want to have a 3rd goalie as insurance and don't want to risk not having Wedgewood around, if he gets claimed.

Be curious to see what Nash does with their firsts. Joshua Ravensburgen is the top rate goalie prospect, but we haven't seen a goalie go in round 1 since Wallstedt in 2021. If Nash wishes to basically kick the can down the road and basically swap Askarov for another goalie prospect.

Was surprised they took Askarov in 2020. Figured with that spot they'd go forward since they've always needed offense. Lundell is a 2 way C and Jarvis were on the board at the time.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think that's a solid trade for us. Obviously, not a HUGE win by all means but we got what we could from that.

Edström's a guy I really liked in the back-half of the 1st round in 2023, and am glad we have him. He's a big, strong, physical and nasty center who put some good numbers (19p in 44 games) in the SHL as an 18-year-old. For example, Otto Stenberg (25th OA in -23) scored 6 points in 33 games for the same team.

Also, I'm intrigued by the Vegas pick. That's a team clearly on the downswing, and while they have a strong core there who knows what could happen. I feel like with West being so tight next year, it's certainly possible that VGK is the team that drops out from the playoffs. It's not going to be a top-5 pick, but somewhere along 12-14 is possible.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think that's a solid trade for us. Obviously, not a HUGE win by all means but we got what we could from that.

Edström's a guy I really liked in the back-half of the 1st round in 2023, and am glad we have him. He's a big, strong, physical and nasty center who put some good numbers (19p in 44 games) in the SHL as an 18-year-old. For example, Otto Stenberg (25th OA in -23) scored 6 points in 33 games for the same team.

Also, I'm intrigued by the Vegas pick. That's a team clearly on the downswing, and while they have a strong core there who knows what could happen. I feel like with West being so tight next year, it's certainly possible that VGK is the team that drops out from the playoffs. It's not going to be a top-5 pick, but somewhere along 12-14 is possible.
I definitely like the idea of loading up on a few select drafts, we've got six players in the top 46 picks from the 2023 draft now with Gibson and Edström.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Pekka was already a year into his big contract when we drafted Saros. Saros then became the backup in 16-17 when he was 21 and Pekka was 34 with 3 years left on his deal. The timing of the transition between Saros-Rinne was a lot more favorable than it is for Askarov-Saros. Saros did put up better numbers in Milwaukee than Askarov, but he wasn't necessarily dominating the AHL either. Also interesting is that Saros was benched during the playoffs for the Ads in 15-16.
Yes and no on the "benching". Saros (20 years old) started the series at home versus Grand Rapids because the Admirals won the division that year. The Admirals lost 3-1 and 2-1. Mazanec (24 years old) played Game 3 at Grand Rapids and the Admirals lost 4-1.

The series was a best of 5, so it was over. Four of the eight Round 1 series ended that way. GR lost in the next round to Cleveland, who won the Calder Cup that year.

Dean "The Stupid" Evason was the coach. His record as the Milwaukee head coach for 6 seasons is unbelievable. He made the playoffs four times. The Admirals were knocked out in Round 1 ALL FOUR TIMES. The other two seasons, the Admirals did not qualify for the playoffs.

That makes 0 for 6 in my book.

Evason had a similar record for the Minnesota Wild in four seasons as Head Coach. In four full seasons, they were knocked out of the Qualifying Round once, and out of Round 1 three times.

That makes 0 for 4 in my NHL book.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He is a tall fella. 6'6". Wonder if we can turn him into something.

We got some wierd synergy going on with the Sharks right now....

Borrowed Ozzy at the end of last season for the AHL
Traded Afanaseyev for Ozzy
Now this
If SJ wants to be another farm team for the Preds, I have no objection!

They can be the Montreal Expos of hockey.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I should say I'm also pleased that Trotz took care of this pretty quickly. No headaches or black clouds hanging over training camp. If a guy wants out, don't let the door hit you on the way, it's good to push any malcontents off the bus as soon as possible.
:handclap:

I think it probably helped a fair bit that the Preds simply weren't that enamored with Askarov even before this stunt. He seems like a zany guy, he kept us fans entertained following his antics, but I can see how past a certain age that kind of behavior might wear thin on an organization if the player isn't working as hard on his issues as management would like. :dunno:

Like stopping the puck at the beginning and ending of a period?

That was my only problem with Askarov. The first and last minutes of a period.

I could put up with his roaming to the corners and sometimes to the blue line. He seemed to get away with it. like Hextall.

Edit: I checked; the Admirals don't play the Barracuda this season. They have 2 games in Henderson (NV) against the Silver Knights again in February. (I am not going there this season.)

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So here I am on the road trip because I need a break. I have MS and I’m caring for my mom. I am beyond tired. I am burnt out so I decided I’m gonna go up to Wisconsin to see the clown Hall of Fame 13 hours by car with anything other than Chicago drivers to. curse out, so I get to my hotel and Viqsi is gushing about a center. I never heard of him so I assume in my zombie like brain she was gushing about the NHL prospect, all right. Next thing I know I’m having difficulty sleeping because my body is cramping after 13 hours of driving in a car. That’s not mine. I’m driving a rental with no mileage cap. I saw the opportunity I took it. then I check YouTube, which led to the headline of Yaroslav Askarov was traded to San Jose. To say that I found a sudden burst of energy would be an understatement. so after a good refreshing night of sleep, I Looked up the players, of course. And now I’m gonna finish up my trip to Wisconsin. My original plan was to go to the admirals arena and buy cap now I’m gonna ask if they have any extra jerseys Askarov lying around.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
So here I am on the road trip because I need a break. I have MS and I’m caring for my mom. I am beyond tired. I am burnt out so I decided I’m gonna go up to Wisconsin to see the clown Hall of Fame 13 hours by car with anything other than Chicago drivers to. curse out, so I get to my hotel and Viqsi is gushing about a center. I never heard of him so I assume in my zombie like brain she was gushing about the NHL prospect, all right. Next thing I know I’m having difficulty sleeping because my body is cramping after 13 hours of driving in a car. That’s not mine. I’m driving a rental with no mileage cap. I saw the opportunity I took it. then I check YouTube, which led to the headline of Yaroslav Askarov was traded to San Jose. To say that I found a sudden burst of energy would be an understatement. so after a good refreshing night of sleep, I Looked up the players, of course. And now I’m gonna finish up my trip to Wisconsin. My original plan was to go to the admirals arena and buy cap now I’m gonna ask if they have any extra jerseys Askarov lying around.

The Admirals office opens at 9 AM on Monday. It is at 510 W Kilbourn in downtown, next to the UWM Panther Arena. You can park on the semi-circular driveway and ride the elevator down. In the past, they didn't have as much stuff as the arena shop does. It has been a few years since I went in there.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm late to this party (moved this week) but I think the return is pretty solid given the circumstances. I really wanted Askarov to be the guy, and he might do so in San Jose. But he just isn't ready yet and not in a position to be making demands about being in the NHL. He could have come in and killed it in camp and forced Wedgewood out, he could have dominated the AHL and forced more callups, he could have outplayed Saros in a year or two and forced a trade (either one) at that point... but he just isn't that guy as of August 2024.

So he got his wish, a lot of out of town fans are buying the hype right now, Preds got a handful of good parts in return. I think we'll be happy in the long run and I think a lot of other people are going to be nervous for a while before (if) Askarov eventually proves to be the guy that he thinks he is.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think he would have stayed in Nash this season, but the Preds signed veteran Wedgewood to 2 year deal. Now, Askarov might be thinking, he's on a 1 way deal and I'm waiver exempt, so even if I am better at camp/pre-season, they may just send me down since I can clear waivers, and they want to have a 3rd goalie as insurance and don't want to risk not having Wedgewood around, if he gets claimed.

Be curious to see what Nash does with their firsts. Joshua Ravensburgen is the top rate goalie prospect, but we haven't seen a goalie go in round 1 since Wallstedt in 2021. If Nash wishes to basically kick the can down the road and basically swap Askarov for another goalie prospect.

Was surprised they took Askarov in 2020. Figured with that spot they'd go forward since they've always needed offense. Lundell is a 2 way C and Jarvis were on the board at the time.
Askarov was after one thing, the money. He wanted a 1 way contract next season making bigger money, and he knew here he wasn't going to get it. The only reason he is suddenly happy go lucky about going back to the AHL for San Jose is because their GM handed him 4 million dollars. If he hadn't of been given that contract I'll bet you anything the word coming out would be how Askarov is not ok going to the AHL.

People want to talk about " the path ", but the only reason that mattered was the money, plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad