Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah, this isn't the headline people think it is. For one, he hasn't played a minute at camp. For two, he already said he'd report to the AHL and they've already signed him to a 2 year bridge extension contract, so his path in SJ is clear. He'll likely get 10-20 starts this year with injuries to Vanecek or Blackwood, and then next year it's his position to lose.
Makes a lot of sense.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Oh absolutely. But my point is that this is being deliberately framed as some failing of Askarov by people who want to see him fail.

I mean, look at this incredibly stupid, uninformed, and sour tweet by a supposedly legit Preds reporter:

There is no such thing as a legit Preds reporter. Our media coverage is and has always been absolute garbage. If you want Preds news go to the Preds HFboard, you are likely to get more info there than you will ever get out of our local media and probably 5 -10 days before they say anything.

There is basically an understanding that there is probably one or two of them that actually read the board just to come up with material because they are too lazy to get an actual scoop. We have more insider info than any of our local media has.

Reactions: Viqsi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This is why I'd never draft a goalie in the top half of the 1st round.

Askarov has developed well, has a good chance to be a decent #1.

Nashville traded him for a pick much lower than they used on Askarov originally.

Why waste all that time / development? Good goalies are always traded for an underwhelming return; see Askarov, Markstrom, Ullmark.

To be fair, if they didn't have Saros, they'd have been more patient with Askarov.

It's best to just trade for goalies when you need one.
It had nothing to do with the teams patience with Askarov. Askarov was told by Trotz that he would be given a chance in this camp to be the backup and play in the NHL. Wedgewood was signed simply for insurance in case Askarov didn't pan out ( which looking at the current news was a smart move ).

Askarov wanted out, so the team obliged his request. Nashville was in no hurry, its Askarov that was in a hurry.

Reactions: JPT

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Interesting. Young goalie likely just needs more development. Or he gets heaped onto the pile of the over hyped.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Can an injured player be sent down?
Yes.

Nothing has changed in San Jose. Askarov is signed to a contract extension already, and seems very happy with the situation. Given his injury, this was all expected.

As I said last page... This is not the headline, or takeaway, that people seem to think it is.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes.

Nothing has changed in San Jose. Askarov is signed to a contract extension already, and seems very happy with the situation. Given his injury, this was all expected.

As I said last page... This is not the headline, or takeaway, that people seem to think it is.
Why send an injured guy to the minors? Makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad