Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, this isn't the headline people think it is. For one, he hasn't played a minute at camp. For two, he already said he'd report to the AHL and they've already signed him to a 2 year bridge extension contract, so his path in SJ is clear. He'll likely get 10-20 starts this year with injuries to Vanecek or Blackwood, and then next year it's his position to lose.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hahaha! Poverty franchise! Grier is a clown! Askarov shown to be a bust! LOL

On an completely unrelated note would you be willing to trade said bust? He is basically worthless so we... uh.... can't give you much for him.

Asking for a friend.

It's Stan Bowman. In Edmonton.

Oh god please trade him to us.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
This is why I'd never draft a goalie in the top half of the 1st round.

Askarov has developed well, has a good chance to be a decent #1.

Nashville traded him for a pick much lower than they used on Askarov originally.

Why waste all that time / development? Good goalies are always traded for an underwhelming return; see Askarov, Markstrom, Ullmark.

To be fair, if they didn't have Saros, they'd have been more patient with Askarov.

It's best to just trade for goalies when you need one.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's still waiver-exempt and the Sharks have 2 vets on roster. I think this disproves the "refused to go to AHL" stuff. I think he'll likely be called up pretty quickly into the season. Saying he was "cut" is a bit harsh, this isn't the NFL where he's now free to sign with any team or get claimed off waivers, the better phrasing is that he was "assigned" to the AHL.

Reactions: coooldude

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's still waiver-exempt and the Sharks have 2 vets on roster. I think this disproves the "refused to go to AHL" stuff. I think he'll likely be called up pretty quickly into the season. Saying he was "cut" is a bit harsh, this isn't the NFL where he's now free to sign with any team or get claimed off waivers, the better phrasing is that he was "assigned" to the AHL.
The way to say it is "Askarov is injured, hasn't played a preseason game, and didn't have the opportunity to steal an NHL role on a team with two legit established NHL goaltenders already on it, so he's going to the AHL to get up to game speed before the Sharks make any decision".

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The way to say it is "Askarov is injured, hasn't played a preseason game, and didn't have the opportunity to steal an NHL role on a team with two legit established NHL goaltenders already on it, so he's going to the AHL to get up to game speed before the Sharks make any decision".
Well yes sure with the full context, but I just mean in terms of reporting the roster decision. "Cut" is an NFL term.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well yes sure with the full context, but I just mean in terms of reporting the roster decision. "Cut" is an NFL term.
Oh absolutely. But my point is that this is being deliberately framed as some failing of Askarov by people who want to see him fail.

I mean, look at this incredibly stupid, uninformed, and sour tweet by a supposedly legit Preds reporter:

Reactions: themelkman and Treb

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
No, I‘ll stick to the literal headline that says he was cut and sent to the AHL

Tweets aren't headlines because they aren't an article and don't provide additional information or context.

f9e.gif

Reactions: Viqsi and TFHockey

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This is why I'd never draft a goalie in the top half of the 1st round.

Askarov has developed well, has a good chance to be a decent #1.

Nashville traded him for a pick much lower than they used on Askarov originally.

Why waste all that time / development? Good goalies are always traded for an underwhelming return; see Askarov, Markstrom, Ullmark.

To be fair, if they didn't have Saros, they'd have been more patient with Askarov.

It's best to just trade for goalies when you need one.
BPA with the highest potential. We did have a plan laid out but he/his agent were inpatient.

Getting a 1st and a recent 1st is decent considering he asked out.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
BPA with the highest potential. We did have a plan laid out but he/his agent were inpatient.

Getting a 1st and a recent 1st is decent considering he asked out.
I understand. If Saros wasn't a star, or had moved on, Nashville would have kept Askarov for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad