Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Egor Afanasyev for Ozzy Wiesblatt

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Trotz wasted last season to give guys like Afanasyev a shot, now he's between a rock and a hard place. Afanasyev did what he needed to and earned his shot, Trotz balked. Great job no neck.
You guys act like we just traded away a Forsberg equivalent.. ffs this is a replacement level bottom 6 player who will probably have decent numbers for a year or two on a shit team like San Jose but was never gonna move the needle in Nashville. Jankowski or Sherwood will be just about the same effect

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You guys act like we just traded away a Forsberg equivalent.. ffs this is a replacement level bottom 6 player who will probably have decent numbers for a year or two on a shit team like San Jose but was never gonna move the needle in Nashville. Jankowski or Sherwood will be just about the same effect
That's true, he might just be another Kamanev at worst, but all these unforced errors add up. If he just ends up turning into a gritty 15-20 goal scorer then we could have had him and Tolvanen scoring 35-40, add in a Tomasino when we trade him for crap and that's a potential 60 goals in three players gone. I'd rather take a chance with Egor than with Jankowski, we know who he is already.

We picked him high for a reason, now that he led our AHL club in scoring and a deep playoff run we just cut him off for a worse prospect that hasn't developed yet.

Feb 5, 2016
This could be a motivator for Ozzy Wiesblatt as he has 1 more season to get his game together at the AHL level or be cut off like a gangrenous limb without an offer of an NHL contract next offseason.

Reactions: Dog

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That's true, he might just be another Kamanev at worst, but all these unforced errors add up. If he just ends up turning into a gritty 15-20 goal scorer then we could have had him and Tolvanen scoring 35-40, add in a Tomasino when we trade him for crap and that's a potential 60 goals in three players gone. I'd rather take a chance with Egor than with Jankowski, we know who he is already.

We picked him high for a reason, now that he led our AHL club in scoring and a deep playoff run we just cut him off for a worse prospect that hasn't developed yet.
There's nothing "unforced" about it. Egor absolutely "forced" Trotz to make this move with his threat.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
This guy on Nashville was drafted almost 5 years ago now. He's had 1 noteworthy season in the A...maybe the Preds should have given him more of a look and chance but he clearly hasn't done anything to just be handed a regular spot on an NHL team.

Nothingburger trade most likely.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There's nothing "unforced" about it. Egor absolutely "forced" Trotz to make this move with his threat.
And rightly so. He did exactly what every single poster that craps on our youngsters says they need to do, earn their shot. He did that, and hasn't gotten it. If you are in his position are you going to just keep sitting around and hoping the staff that hasn't given you a shot, and through negotiations is showing no signs of giving it to you, or are you going to take what other options you have?

Look its one thing if he was in year two in Milwaukee and hadn't done anything, but he's done exactly what they asked him to do. If he doesn't deserve a shot based on his production then we won't have anyone in Milwaukee that deserves it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This guy on Nashville was drafted almost 5 years ago now. He's had 1 noteworthy season in the A...maybe the Preds should have given him more of a look and chance but he clearly hasn't done anything to just be handed a regular spot on an NHL team.

I mean I'd rather give him a shot than just keep floating guys like Sherwood, and Smith out there.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

He's improved most years in the AHL, he should have been called up a few seasons ago.

This year he had a great season and post season and got rewarded by being traded away.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be in the NHL right now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Please stop with this made up narrative, no one is acting like we traded away Forsberg. What everyone is ticked off about is that a guy earned his shot and he basically had to try and strong arm our GM into giving it to him. It has nothing to do with him personally.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He's improved most years in the AHL, he should have been called up a few seasons ago.

This year he had a great season and post season and got rewarded by being traded away.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be in the NHL right now.
He got 17 games at the NHL level in 22-23 and did absolutely jack squat. Like all of us I was hoping hed get more games in the NHL this year, especially after we traded Trenin, but he didn't. Being good in the AHL should not guarantee you an NHL slot. He obviously wanted a one way contract. He didn't "earn" that. In my opinion he earned a spot on the roster on opening night next year but not a guaranteed spot for the whole season. If he had stayed he would have had a chance to prove he deserved it, and the way we are with waivers(most of the time) he would have probably stayed up and got what he wanted, but instead he forced Trotz hand.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Nashville obviously seen something (they’re willing to invest in, to find out) after Ozzy was loaned to Milwaukee, in a very big “we want to wash our hands of you move” from SJ, loaning him to another team’s AHL affiliate. Strange player, as this wasn’t some kid who had a lucky run in Prince Albert. Ozzy can score goals. You’d almost think he took a shot he’s never recovered from, or has a hand or wrist issue that’s turned long-term.

OR, from what I’ve heard over the years. San Jose pushed him to change the way he approaches everything, and while he complied with their wishes, he’s done it kicking and screaming.

Now, he gets a new opportunity to reinvent himself, if that was indeed the case. Time will tell. Normally I wouldn’t buy too much into it, but he wasn’t scoring goals in PA in an overager type of a way. Then it just disappeared the moment SJ became involved. Before he went pro, which is a big thing. If he was your typical “just won’t translate” player, he wouldn’t have fallen off the hockey planet still in juniors, like he did.

While it’s not out of the ordinary that players over compensate for what their draft team is telling them they need to work on, and how to reach those goals, he just turned on a dime. Like I said. Almost as if someone hit him with an open ice hit, and he’s just never been the same.

As for Afanseyev, there were no real plans for Afanasyev in Nashville, who was likely a coin flip to be qualified, or be claimed on waivers, and likely KHL bound anyway. Whether this effects any KHL decision or not? Who knows.

Maybe SJ sees it as a future, we hold his rights thing, if he returns, or have a commitment he won’t leave until after camp now. He is one of the players who people think will return to Russia, with plans to maybe return to the NHL in 3-4 years.

We’re gonna see more and more of these AHL Russians leaving for home btw, if they truly don’t believe they’ll be playing in the NHL next season. In some cases teams won’t even qualify them if they’re no longer waiver exempt, and almost certainly won’t, if they’re arbitration eligible, bottom 6 or fringe NHLers.

If they’re gonna be more of a headache than anything else, take a shot in a trade like this. Why not? It’s that or wash your hands of them. Put your efforts into developing someone else.

These threats are a concern for NHL teams btw. Good bet a lot of kids who may have been drafted in rounds 3-7, no longer hear their name called in next week’s draft.

Reactions: NoQuitInNewMexico

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He got 17 games at the NHL level in 22-23 and did absolutely jack squat. Like all of us I was hoping hed get more games in the NHL this year, especially after we traded Trenin, but he didn't. Being good in the AHL should not guarantee you an NHL slot. He obviously wanted a one way contract. He didn't "earn" that. In my opinion he earned a spot on the roster on opening night next year but not a guaranteed spot for the whole season. If he had stayed he would have had a chance to prove he deserved it, and the way we are with waivers(most of the time) he would have probably stayed up and got what he wanted, but instead he forced Trotz hand.

We should have given him a spot then, if he sucked we could have gotten someone like Weisblatt anyway.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Not necessarily if he was on a one way deal. That would have been bad cap management. And set bad precedent.
Unless you're paying him more than $1.15 million, you can bury an entire one-way contract in the AHL with zero cap hit. Maybe bad precedent, but it wouldn't affect the cap.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Preds on one way deals this year included Jordan Gross, Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Wade Allison.. I understand they have a bit more history in the NHL and all but the idea of hanging on to Egor with a one way isn't that outlandish to me. It also doesn't affect the cap necessarily since it's fully buriable.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Unless you're paying him more than $1.15 million, you can bury an entire one-way contract in the AHL with zero cap hit. Maybe bad precedent, but it wouldn't affect the cap.
And as far as precedents goes, while Afanaseyev may not have great upside, if it's even true that his agent demanded a 1-way deal or threatened to go back to Russia (I haven't seen that actually reported anywhere btw, just suggested by a poster here) then it's worth keeping in mind that his agent tends to handle a lot of the Russian prospects. And if Trotz were to have issues with that agent's approach, it could have repercussions beyond Afanaseyev, because if I'm not mistaken the same agent represents Askarov and Svechkov too. Who are much bigger hopefuls for the Preds.

In terms of setting precedents, I'm not sure handing out a harmless bury-able $775k contract to Afanaseyev would be a terrible thing, if it also helped to establish goodwill with a guy who handles two of our other top prospects. It'd be a completely harmless contract for Afanaseyev, and could help set a useful precedent in relations.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Despite being a good soldier for years and years and showing constant development, Afanasyev gets moved without ever getting a decent chance in Nashville.

Truly a big, big loss for the organization and its prospect development.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
In terms of setting precedents, I'm not sure handing out a harmless bury-able $775k contract to Afanaseyev would be a terrible thing, if it also helped to establish goodwill with a guy who handles two of our other top prospects. It'd be a completely harmless contract for Afanaseyev, and could help set a useful precedent in relations.
It’s also plausible that they in fact did him a solid by giving him a much better chance to play in the NHL. Which is far better than playing in the AHL on a buried contract. We can’t know.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Despite being a good soldier for years and years and showing constant development, Afanasyev gets moved without ever getting a decent chance in Nashville.

Truly a big, big loss for the organization and its prospect development.
Oh ffs.... "big, big loss"???? Come on. I'll use the analogy again, this isn't like when Washington traded Forsberg.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Oh ffs.... "big, big loss"???? Come on. I'll use the analogy again, this isn't like when Washington traded Forsberg.
I don’t think is a huge loss but it’s another disappointment that once again Nashville shows they can’t develop forwards well. Losing another drafted player. At this point I say trade all of our picks because more than 3/4 of our forwards are from trades or free agency. I would hate to get drafted by Nashville as a forward because no matter what you do you may or may not get a chance with preds.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It’s also plausible that they in fact did him a solid by giving him a much better chance to play in the NHL. Which is far better than playing in the AHL on a buried contract. We can’t know.
Doesnt send a good message to the other prospects though... you have to force your way to getting NHL opportunities because this organization refuses to allow their prospects the chance. Tomasino is likely out the door as well because we refuse to let players into the NHL unless we have beaten the 2 way grinder mentality into them

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Are people thinking it's a big loss because of Eeli Tolvanen ?
I don’t think people think it’s a big loss like we thought he was gonna be some 60 point forward. I think what makes it a loss to me is he didn’t get a chance to prove what he can do. Yea last year he got 17 games but his development in one yea look like he was primed to play with us next year just to trade him for a player that truly look like a bust. This organization is really hard on their drafted forwards for some reason.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Preds on one way deals this year included Jordan Gross, Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Wade Allison.. I understand they have a bit more history in the NHL and all but the idea of hanging on to Egor with a one way isn't that outlandish to me. It also doesn't affect the cap necessarily since it's fully buriable.
Yeah at the very least Afanasyev was a top AHL player and we've had no problem giving deals like that to strictly AHL guys. We don't really know what Afanasyev's ask so maybe it truly was unreasonable but guys aren't going to be happy continually making $70k in the AHL and not being given a shot.

Reactions: Armourboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad