Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Man I really waffle on Grier. I never thought San Jose would be able to clear out the Burns/Karlsson/Hertl contracts, and he managed to do that and get actual value for them.

Taking on $10M of Goodrow's dead cap and getting nothing in return is absolutely brutal asset management though.
There is no asset management at all in picking up Goodrow. He added a vet that “plays the right way” for nothing and they have to reach the cap floor.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s gotta be so happy he talked up Grier when the sharks org called him.
Obviously Goodrow isn’t a good hockey player anymore, but I don’t think this is that terrible for you guys or will hinder your rebuild.

Sharks aren’t contending for the playoffs next season and probably not the one after. Might even be that the one after that they aren’t either. They are far away. Goodrow is a seasoned veteran that will show the kids the right way. Stuff like that has value, and it might even help you guys get a higher pick the next few years for him to be on the team.

The contract obviously isn’t good, but you guys aren’t going to be close to the ceiling, so I’m not sure good and bad contracts matter right now. They only matter towards what they are for the future, and this one doesn’t even extend far into the future. This likely matters a lot more for the Rangers than the Sharks in all likelihood.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't think you understand how f***ing massive the Rangers fanbase is. It's not Montreal or Toronto, but it's huge.

There's a reason the team has three home arenas.
I grew up in CT. Both sides of my families are from New York and huge hockey fans. My first live hockey game was Rangers/Penguins in ‘90 or ‘91. Massive following, I know, but 50% is way too high. I’d probably buy odds at one-third though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Barclay’s back home (i.e. where he began his career). Would think SJS will retain in the last year of his deal to get a trade deadline return.

How many guys have been traded twice by the same team?

aircobra

May 4, 2013
Like, why though? I get they have to get to the cap floor but there are better ways of doing it than taking on a cap hit of $3.6 for 3 years on a player who is 31 (while not even getting an asset for taking on the whole contract). This is definitely Grier's most head-scratching move.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Like, why though? I get they have to get to the cap floor but there are better ways of doing it than taking on a cap hit of $3.6 for 3 years on a player who is 31 (while not even getting an asset for taking on the whole contract). This is definitely Grier's most head-scratching move.
The counter is that they have missed the PO for 5 years now and have kids like Elkins, Smith and Celli to I up on the roster next season. So they can’t be in tank mode trying to be the worst team. Now they won’t be very good either, but they want to build up the foundation thus not just taking any and every bad contract they can just to ice a roster.

As they have to develop their kids. No matter who they get either via trade or free agency is going to be an overpay due to them being a bad team.

Probably expect something to go down between the 2 clubs. Be it a swap of draft picks or SJ sending a minor leaguer to NyR to free up a contract slot.

Hardest part for a rebuilding club is getting good vets to join them as they try to turn the corner.

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Would the Rangers not budge on including something in a traded for San Jose to take me? So they waived them and called their bluff possibly without losing anything. Smart move on the Rangers end,

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
3x3.5 probably better than signing a free agent to more money and term for depth. Kind of like the Vanecek trade

Reactions: Dijock94

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Feel like they probably could've gotten him with some sort of late round pick. Highly doubt anyone else was going to pick him up and even if they did that's no big loss for SJ.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
This thread before the San Jose update is proof positive that most hockey fans, even "smart" ones, have no idea how this league operates.

Goodrow doesn't have all that much time left on his deal. The AAV is bad for a bottom six player but it's not like, knee cap your franchise bad. Goodrow, while on the decline, is still a great leadership guy and absolutely fine on the third or fourth line of a basement dwelling team. San Jose knows and likes the player, and they need good locker room guys to develop the locker room culture and mentor/be a good example for all the high picks they have like Smith and Celebrini. By the time the Sharks are ready to be competitive again, Goodrow's deal will be long finished.

There is absolutely no downside to this for the Sharks.

"But why didn't they make a deal with the Rangers instead?"

Because there were 14 other teams on Goodrow's list, he's still perceived around the like as a hard nosed playoff performer, and if NYR have to start bartering to make a trade, San Jose is now in competition to get the player. This was the easiest way for all sides. Quick and painless.

But all you guys see is, "Player not good, AAV too high." This is not an $8m contract here, and this is not a player who certain teams don't think highly of. Nuff said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad