Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Your suppositions about Gibson and the Ducks are totally without any factual support. You are sitting 2500 miles away from Anaheim and telling Ducks fans what Verbeek is thinking. It's crazy.

Here's what we do know...teams are talking to Verbeek about Gibson. Those teams know what Verbeek is asking for Gibson. If a team wants him, then they'll have to get reasonably close to that asking price.

Verbeek in his tenure in Anaheim has been known for setting a price and sticking to it until someone meets it. There is zero reason why he would deviate from that pattern now with Gibson.

You didn't answer my question. With how Gibson has performed for the Ducks in the last 5 years, why would any Ducks fan want to keep him? If we know that Gibson is not a successful goalie on the Ducks, where he will continue to post near league worst numbers on the Ducks, why would Ducks fans want to keep him? Do you want to win games or not?

Gibson can absolutely be a good goalie while he's not a good goalie for the Ducks. The overwhelming evidence we have says that he's not a good goalie for the Ducks. So why would you want to keep him?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
2 NHL GMs traded for Matt Murray and all the spreadsheet jockeys said that was a bad idea, including every Pittsburgh fan. But they were GMs so they know better. There was another GM that gave Jeff Finger $14M thinking he was somebody else.
Those were two of the dumbest GMs around. One a puppet for a garbage owner, the other is the king of spreadsheet jockeys himself

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You didn't answer my question. With how Gibson has performed for the Ducks in the last 5 years, why would any Ducks fan want to keep him? If we know that Gibson is not a successful goalie on the Ducks, where he will continue to post near league worst numbers on the Ducks, why would Ducks fans want to keep him? Do you want to win games or not?

Gibson can absolutely be a good goalie while he's not a good goalie for the Ducks. The overwhelming evidence we have says that he's not a good goalie for the Ducks. So why would you want to keep him?
The answer is that there is plenty of cap room to keep him and as the team gets better Gibson's numbers will improve as well. There is zero need to just give him away at this point. And Verbeek certainly isn't going to trade him for nothing if he has to retain or take back a bad contract or two. That's just adding insult to injury. If his numbers improve and Verbeek wants to trade him at the next TDL he will have much more value. The Ducks can afford to wait.

Now you answer the question...why are teams allegedly trying to acquire him? If he is so bad then they shouldn't want him no matter how cheaply they can get him. And if they think he can rebound then they should be willing to pay Verbeek's price (which I'm guessing is not dissimilar to what Markstrom and Ullmark returned).

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
.888 save percentage last year, with a worse contract than husso. If a trade like this goes through, us wings fans are cooked

To be fair, Anaheim is a very team. Gibson seems like the perfect candidate for a change of scenery revitalizing his career. Granted, he could be contributing to Anaheim's poor results. It's really hard to say but I do think he'll perform better on Detroit and likely won't come at his full salary.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
To be fair, Anaheim is a very team. Gibson seems like the perfect candidate for a change of scenery revitalizing his career. Granted, he could be contributing to Anaheim's poor results. It's really hard to say but I do think he'll perform better on Detroit and likely won't come at his full salary.

I agree, they are a very team. A very, very team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The answer is that there is plenty of cap room to keep him and as the team gets better Gibson's numbers will improve as well. There is zero need to just give him away at this point. And Verbeek certainly isn't going to trade him for nothing if he has to retain or take back a bad contract or two. That's just adding insult to injury. If his numbers improve and Verbeek wants to trade him at the next TDL he will have much more value. The Ducks can afford to wait.

Now you answer the question...why are teams allegedly trying to acquire him? If he is so bad then they shouldn't want him no matter how cheaply they can get him. And if they think he can rebound then they should be willing to pay Verbeek's price (which I'm guessing is not dissimilar to what Markstrom and Ullmark returned).

If a team pays a similar price to Markstrom and Ullmark for Gibson, they're absolute morons. There's no other way to put it.

Anyway, from Seravalli:

Scoop: After residing on the Trade Targets board for the last three years, it appears the Ducks and Red Wings gained some traction this week on Gibson. There’s the potential for something to happen, and it would likely involve the Ducks retaining a portion of his deal. Gibson had a long-standing trade request looking for a change of scenery – and now the Ducks feel pretty confident turning the reins over to Lukas Dostal, who is nearly seven years younger. The Ducks could use a fresh start, so could Gibson. The time is right if there is a taker.

So much for the "Gibson hasn't asked out" claim. Why the Ducks would want to trade him is clear: both the Ducks and Gibson want a fresh start.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If a team pays a similar price to Markstrom and Ullmark for Gibson, they're absolute morons. There's no other way to put it.

Anyway, from Seravalli:

So much for the "Gibson hasn't asked out" claim. Why the Ducks would want to trade him is clear: both the Ducks and Gibson want a fresh start.

Seravalli has claimed for years Gibson asked for trades whilst Gibson and his agent have continuously denied that. He's not exactly the best source on Ducks matters.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Anyway, from Seravalli:

See, this is why posters should avoid talking about other teams that they know nothing about.

Seravalli made the famous quote last summer that "Gibson has played his last game as a Duck". I guess he was wrong wasn't he? Not to mention that Gibson's agent immediately came out afterwards and stated that his client had NOT asked or demanded to be traded.

How much more foolish to you want to appear?

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

Anyway, from Seravalli:

Yes because seravelli famously is so well connected with the ducks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This would be a smart move. I really believe in Gibson. He'd be elite again on a good team. Detroit should make another upgrade or two

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think, at worst, Gibson is a neutral asset (future considerations). Part of that is because the Ducks don't have to move him and any asset they give up is probably worth more to them than the cap space. I think teams are either trying to get the Ducks down to a late pick or for cap dumps/retention while Verbeek is trying to get more assets for Gibson along with a short term cap dump.

Also, the only season another Ducks goalie actually out played Gibson was probably this last season. Stat watchers aren't putting context to the numbers. I broke down the starts a while ago, I don't remember exactly what it was but the year Stolarz put up good numbers he faced something like 2 playoff teams and got to play against every other bottom 5 team. Gibson got no starts against the other truly awful offensive teams and got every start against the elite ones while playing in Eakins defensive "system." Gibson had the best seasons a starter has had under Eakins. Granted, last season's numbers were concerning.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Husso + Berggren for Gibson @ 5 million. Buys some time for Cossa/Augustine and Gibson/Lyon @ 6 million total is solid.

Ducks can put berggren with Carlsson the swedish connection

That’s kinda what I figure a move would look like… I don’t think we’re moving gibson without a little retention + cap coming back .

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
There are just too many hurdles to get over for both teams in a Gibson trade that I don't see it realistically happening unless another team really believes he will turn it around with a fresh start. For what it's worth I believe he would, but he has a 10 team no trade clause, he's overpaid, the Ducks are fine with cap space, won't be seriously competing in the next couple of years and so they don't have any pressure to trade him. So any trade would need to make both teams better because the Ducks aren't looking to get worse by trading him and another team is not looking to get worse by acquiring him.

I'm pretty sure he's going to play out his contract on the Ducks and then leave.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Husso + Berggren for Gibson @ 5 million. Buys some time for Cossa/Augustine and Gibson/Lyon @ 6 million total is solid.

Ducks can put berggren with Carlsson the swedish connection
Berggren feels like what we need to get some retention. Getting him to Husso's number would be big, so 1.65 retained. Your number probably makes more sense for both sides. But I kind of hope this is the deal. I have said since before the end of the season this is my preferred option in Detroit. I think he fits our timeline and is the right fit for the team. I also hope he bounces back, but I hope Yzerman makes this happen.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Berggren feels like what we need to get some retention. Getting him to Husso's number would be big, so 1.65 retained. Your number probably makes more sense for both sides. But I kind of hope this is the deal. I have said since before the end of the season this is my preferred option in Detroit. I think he fits our timeline and is the right fit for the team. I also hope he bounces back, but I hope Yzerman makes this happen.
I suspect Berggren is not a particularly compelling target for verbeek.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Either Gibby wants out, or he has value. That's the only 2 reasons why the Ducks would move him right now. I doubt it's the former, because they are poised for a better season if the injury bug doesn't strike again. That makes him more appealing if he's performing at the deadline to a playoff hopeful. Basically him controlling his own destiny. It does Anaheim zero good to ditch him along with assets just to say goodbye. People are really not thinking this over, and just doing the Gibson sucks thing yet again.

Reactions: tomd

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I suspect Berggren is not a particularly compelling target for verbeek.
Verbeek will know Detroit's system very well, he can pick another player that fits that same sort of value picture. If they are willing to retain which I think will be big for Detroit the level of the package and young prospect Verbeek wants will go up. They cannot get an A asset there, but it should be a player Verbeek likes that helps add value to the deal.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Verbeek will know Detroit's system very well, he can pick another player that fits that same sort of value picture. If they are willing to retain which I think will be big for Detroit the level of the package and young prospect Verbeek wants will go up. They cannot get an A asset there, but it should be a player Verbeek likes that helps add value to the deal.
A “B” asset is a non-starter. Yzerman is either negotiating in good faith or he isn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad