Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Sure, but its 1 less day for them to improve their blue line which is going to be downright dreadful if Krug is out all season and Broberg was their bet to improve both now and in the future. Training camp opens in 2 weeks. Maybe the Blues don't care about making the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure they do.
I’m having a hard time keeping up with Broberg’s status from you people. Is he an overpaid 3rd pairing D or is he the Blues best bet for now and the future? Here’s what he is to St. Louis, a gamble we can afford to take a shot on for a low risk, high reward. If we don’t get him, we do not lose anything.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m having a hard time keeping up with Broberg’s status from you people. Is he an overpaid 3rd pairing D or is he the Blues best bet for now and the future? Here’s what he is to St. Louis, a gamble we can afford to take a shot on for a low risk, high reward. If we don’t get him, we do not lose anything.
"you people" as if what any other poster says has anything to do with me. What a terrible way to discuss a topic.

I haven't wavered or flip flopped on Broberg at all since the offer sheet. I thought he was a good bet to be a 2nd pairing D this season and I still do. Would I have loved to have that for dirt cheap like we thought we'd get him for? Of course. Has he earned 4.5mil? No. Is he a pretty decent bet to be a 4.5mil quality player the next 2 seasons? Yeah I think so given his toolkit, play in the AHL this season, and WCF + SCF performance.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
So an oilers YouTube channel showed a tweet that said both Holloway and Broberg's names and info have been removed from an oilers site this afternoon.

That seems odd but than again smart GM's won't hinge their cap and roster on a possible LTIR contract that almost assuredly won't be anywhere close to season ending.

Like if people just stopped and thought it through matching without clearing enough cap permanently has to happen, what do you do if Kane is healthy and has come off LTIR? This was just a massive clusterfuk all the way around.

• Wow
Reactions: QuizGuy66

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So an oilers YouTube channel showed a tweet that said both Holloway and Broberg's names and info have been removed from an oilers site this afternoon.

That seems odd but than again smart GM's won't hinge their cap and roster on a possible LTIR contract that almost assuredly won't be anywhere close to season ending.

Like if people just stopped and thought it through matching without clearing enough cap permanently has to happen, what do you do if Kane is healthy and has come off LTIR? This was just a massive clusterfuk all the way around.
Every player without a contract was removed from the NHL.com rosters today.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He’s a legit top 4 defender with potential untapped. Is he worth 4.5M right now? No, not based on his contract status or small sample of play. But it’s a good bet he’ll be worth that if he shows what he showed in the playoffs.
its also only 2 years old so even if he breaks out and finds value. needs a new contract again soon and with cap going up it might be more expensive if hes really that good.

I get the feeling he ends up in alot of HFBoard proposals at some point this year or in next years offseason with Drai and Bouchard needing big contracts

I think he'd be worth it by year two.
but only issue then is just as he finds value hes up for new contract. he might be able to ask for 5 or 6 by then. if he works out atleast.
I mean I get it. I wouldnt wanna lose him for a 2nd either. but not a fan of his contract.

Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
its also only 2 years old so even if he breaks out and finds value. needs a new contract again soon and with cap going up it might be more expensive if hes really that good.

I get the feeling he ends up in alot of HFBoard proposals at some point this year or in next years offseason with Drai and Bouchard needing big contracts

but only issue then is just as he finds value hes up for new contract. he might be able to ask for 5 or 6 by then. if he works out atleast.
I mean I get it. I wouldnt wanna lose him for a 2nd either. but not a fan of his contract.
Sure. But atleast by that point he’ll have more experience under his belt and can be traded with the Oilers deciding what deal to take. Not some arbitrary value based off a soon to be outdated CBA. Or he’ll just be paid appropriately for the value he brings

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

The Athletic rated Ty Emberson as one of the best Defensive D-men in the league in April 2024.​

1724112702047.png

This is from a Reddit post, but people don't always like Reddit here. True story though...Only Drew Doughty was rated higher at 98%.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Sure. But atleast by that point he’ll have more experience under his belt and can be traded with the Oilers deciding what deal to take. Not some arbitrary value based off a soon to be outdated CBA. Or he’ll just be paid appropriately for the value he brings
oh I agree, it's not an ideal situation to lose a young Dman with top 4 potential for a 2nd. Holloway for a 3rd isnt great either. I guess the window is now so hopefully Arvidsson and Skinner work out. Im sure atleast one will

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
oh I agree, it's not an ideal situation to lose a young Dman with top 4 potential for a 2nd. Holloway for a 3rd isnt great either. I guess the window is now so hopefully Arvidsson and Skinner work out. Im sure atleast one will
I’d like to keep both. In fact I was ecstatic about keeping both moving forward assuming they’d be cheap. They won’t be cheap now and it’s a tougher decision. But based on what I’ve seen of them in the playoffs, and what I’ve seen with Ceci, I’d prefer not to lose them for peanuts and go with the riskier high cap numbers they’ll be at. It’s a gamble, but if you like the players, you make that bet.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

The Athletic rated Ty Emberson as one of the best Defensive D-men in the league in April 2024.​

View attachment 902009
This is from a Reddit post, but people don't always like Reddit here. True story though...Only Drew Doughty was rated higher at 98%.

Apparently best defensive defenceman in the AHL last year too. This will be an interesting test of Dom’s model.

Reactions: uncleben

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I actually think Emberson's potential is more another 23/24 King--Matt Roy. Or perhaps a very physical Jensen. Of course, 30 NHL games don't provide enough confirmation, and injuries could derail any future.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Apparently best defensive defenceman in the AHL last year too. This will be an interesting test of Dom’s model.
I'm curious to see how he does with Coffee. Knoblauch was coaching him in the AHL too when he was rated the best defensive defenseman. Could he play with Nurse effectively? He's got good passing skills too from what I've read. Could he be the rock that stabilizes Nurse?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Emberson was really good defensively. Great skating, good stick in the lane. He got injured and he also wasn't consistently good at moving the puck and his handling is meh overall. Still it's an unforced error to give up on him for a third and a year of Ceci.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm curious to see how he does with Coffee. Knoblauch was coaching him in the AHL too when he was rated the best defensive defenseman. Could he play with Nurse effectively? He's got good passing skills too from what I've read. Could he be the rock that stabilizes Nurse?
I have time for any defenceman as long as Coffey believe in him and can work with him. That’s Broberg. That’s probably going to be Emberson too. Hopefully both.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm actually hoping the Oilers decide not to match the Broberg and Holloway offers. It will be hilarious watching so many Oiler fans do a 180 on their value.... again.
and I'm looking forward to everyone else telling us how awesome and how much upside he has if they don't match
or what a waste of pick Broberg was and how he'll never amount to anything if the Oilers match

Reactions: Macheteops

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Well we don’t know when Kane will be scheduled for any surgeries that he may need and we don’t know what his recovery timeline will be. At the very least they give themselves time to figure it out while retaining a highly regarded young player. They do have quite a few 30+ year olds including Arvidsson who’s usually good for an injury a year, good chance someone else needs to be on ltir in the second half of the year or if they have to they’ve got a few guys they could trade if they needed to create a little cap space.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That really sugar coating it. Yes he got second pairing minutes. For the first three games of the finals, which they lost. Then his minutes slid to last while Ceci went up to third most by the end, when they won 3/4 and came within a goal of coming back. Broberg was relegated behind Ceci and the team did better.
It was the exact opposite.

For some reason they put Ceci back with Nurse the first few Stanley Cup final games. Then he fell again to the third pairing.

Perhaps he and Kulak earned more minutes. Who knows.

I'm curious where you found the toi stat.

Last edited:

Realm

Jun 5, 2005

You cross that road when you have to, you don't let young talent walk without doing everything in your power to keep them. The Oilers were the most healthy team in the league last year, the odds that now the oldest team in the league (or close to it) stays healthy again is doubtful. It would only take one of about 7 players to get hurt and trade places by the time Kane comes back, or worst case is you have a healthy team and need to trade somebody.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder how a line of Broberg - Emberson would be?
I wish we could play Broberg on his correct side. That’s the one caveat of matching Broberg that i worry about. There isn’t a natural spot for him.

If he does play right side I could see that pair working. But I’m wondering as well, just don’t know enough about Emberson besides the positive analytics and scouting reports.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
He was better in the last 2 rounds of the playoffs. So...maybe.
Depends on who you ask, eye test I thought Broberg was far better, but the analytics at least in the Cup slightly favored Ceci. Likely Ceci regresses and Broberg improves though.

Reactions: Macheteops

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I wish we could play Broberg on his correct side. That’s the one caveat of matching Broberg that i worry about. There isn’t a natural spot for him.

If he does play right side I could see that pair working. But I’m wondering as well, just don’t know enough about Emberson besides the positive analytics and scouting reports.
That would probably be a killer 3rd pairing with both on their natural sides.

Reactions: TheNumber4

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
How many teams are looking for retention on 800k of caphit?

The puzzle gets very tight for some teams cap-wise at the deadline. We saw it this past deadline. The fun part is you can see exactly what monetary price teams put on draft picks in a given round. Pretty fascinating.

It would be fun if Emberson plays less than 50 games and ends up a UFA just to see what kind of offers he would draw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad