Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Walman has been our best defenseman BY FAR. Like it's not even close. He's been legitimately good, not just "good relative to the rest of the Sharks".

We'll get another top-3 pick no doubt, but it's not because of Jake Walman. He's genuinely been really good. Legit top-4 D. My favorite player to watch so far.

Who's your second best D? No offense but I don't think I've ever seen a more underwhelming lineup of D-men on an NHL roster.

I hope Walman does do well for you guys and it's great he's getting a chance to play top pair minutes, but he's not a guy a contending team wants in their top 4.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Who's your second best D? No offense but I don't think I've ever seen a more underwhelming lineup of D-men on an NHL roster.

I hope Walman does do well for you guys and it's great he's getting a chance to play top pair minutes, but he's not a guy a contending team wants in their top 4.
Hence why I specifically said he's been legitimately good, not just good relative to the rest of the Sharks. He's played a a top-pairing level the first two games, but I'm not gonna crown him top-pairing.

I'm not quite sure what your angle is here. Sour Blues fan? All I know is the Sharks got paid a 2nd round pick to take a 28 year old top-4 defenseman.

Reactions: Hollel

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah. The more I watch Wallman the more bewildered I am by the trade.
On a Red Wings subreddit there was a post season review discussion in April…A poster there claiming to have known a current roster player for the Red Wings mentioned that Wallman became a distraction in the locker room - apparently it was getting worse when Larkin was out on injury…Wallman ended up missing some games due to injury, but was kept in the press box upon his return late in the season.

Fast forward to summer and the desire to acquire Trouba from the NYR meant Yzerman needed to free up cap space…Trade fell thru - however Wallman is not our ‘problem’ anymore.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
On a Red Wings subreddit there was a post season review discussion in April…A poster there claiming to have known a current roster player for the Red Wings mentioned that Wallman became a distraction in the locker room - apparently it was getting worse when Larkin was out on injury…Wallman ended up missing some games due to injury, but was kept in the press box upon his return late in the season.

Fast forward to summer and the desire to acquire Trouba from the NYR meant Yzerman needed to free up cap space…Trade fell thru - however Wallman is not our ‘problem’ anymore.
Makes sense then, I guess he needed a reality check.

Seems like from the videos and interviews he's meshing well with the Sharks and being around a younger roster he has realized he needs to mature.

I guess not a mistake from Detroit, but rather a very lucky strike for the Sharks.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Stupid trade for the wings from the jump. Luckily, Holl has played well. No idea why he has been benched for this long.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Everyone got something they wanted. SJ needed a decent dman, Detroit needed cap space. Not seeing the fuss.
Yup. Happens a lot in the league now. A guy making too much for his role on a team trying to compete is traded with sugar added to a rebuilding club. Then that player gets to play without pressure to win and does a good job.

Reactions: bleedgreen

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hence why I specifically said he's been legitimately good, not just good relative to the rest of the Sharks. He's played a a top-pairing level the first two games, but I'm not gonna crown him top-pairing.

I'm not quite sure what your angle is here. Sour Blues fan? All I know is the Sharks got paid a 2nd round pick to take a 28 year old top-4 defenseman.
Why would Blues fans be sour? Lol.

All I know is two teams have already dumped Walman because he’s not that good, but after two games with the Sharks you are convinced he’s a stud. :laugh:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why would Blues fans be sour? Lol.

All I know is two teams have already dumped Walman because he’s not that good, but after two games with the Sharks you are convinced he’s a stud. :laugh:
I have no idea, which is why I was asking what his beef with Walman is.

All I said is he's been legitimate good, which is objectively factual.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Walman was legitimately good with the Wings too. He kind of reminds me of a smarter Brendan Smith. When he's on, he'll have you thinking he could be a legit top pairing or #3 type guy. When he's off, he's turning the puck over right in front of the net. If he finds some consistency, he's a great defenseman to have. Can't comment on the locker room stuff with no actual substance I've seen out there.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Justin Holl has been better so far than Walman.
He actually has been in his two games, but lazy people like analytics and advanced stats , most GMs laugh at, to judge players. Especially dmen.

There’s a lot of fans today, who would’ve sworn Paul Coffey was the greatest dman to ever play the game. They just don’t watch games anymore. They follow advanced stats that mean very little in judging a player, and think they’re experts.

The amount of times a player’s analytics and advanced stats do a 180 after a trade, is exactly why most GMs have halted using them to the extent some were starting to. They use them as supporting evidence. Nothing more.

We’ve also seen the results of GMs who’ve dove head first into using them. Once again, especially with dmen.

It’s funny because Jake Walman himself brought up this exact subject shortly before he was traded. He talked about how coaches basically roll their eyes to a analytics, during a Detroit podcast.

Fact is, Detroit was a much better team defensively after benching Walman last year. For every good play he makes, there’s 3 to 4 passes to his invisible friends. He’s a turnover machine.

It took a lot of Detroit fans a minute to figure him out too, but there’s a reason he’s been traded twice now, after being 25 years old.

As for Justin Holl, you have accept the good with the bad when evaluating a player. He’s been more than serviceable so far. He’s actually been good.. But like Walman, we know that’s probably not gonna last. It helps he’s playing with a partner who recovers extremely well.

We 100% expect it not to last though.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I have no idea, which is why I was asking what his beef with Walman is.

All I said is he's been legitimate good, which is objectively factual.

I have no beef with Walman and I'm happy he's playing well. But it will take a much longer stretch of excellent play to convince me he's anything other than a mediocre d-man.

I watched some Blues fans lose their minds that we traded him despite him making no impact in St. Louis and then Detroit fans go wild when he played decently well getting prime ice time with Seider. Then things eventually regressed to the mean. I don't think he's a real difference maker, but if he can have a career best season in a big role with the Sharks then I'll be happy for him and Sharks fans.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad