Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
San Jose would have picked him up on waivers like they did with goodrow.
Nah. Sharks don’t need Walman the way they needed Goodrow. They’re just happy to have the extra 2nd round pick.
Because trading a 2nd rounder for a good player doesn't make any sense, even if you think the team won the trade to acquire the 2nd rounder.

Detroit had other worse players they could've unloaded and RHD come at a premium. It's puzzling and the reaction is not surprising at all.
It’s really just one big transaction from Detroit’s perspective: swap one prospect for another in order to dump Walman’s contract.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Walman has negative value. The only halfway reputable source to report on this has been Frank Seravalli who said GMs were surprised at how significant the sweetener Detroit had to attach was, not that they were surprised a sweetener had to be attached in general.

So instead of calling up every team not on Walman's NTC to maybe offload his contract with a 3rd or 4th instead, Yzerman attached a 2nd and got it done immediately. The difference in value between those picks is ultimately insignificant.

How long do you think it takes to send out a mass email to all the GMs saying "I'm looking to move Walman, send me a message if you're interested."?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Detroit trades a dude for a dude + a 2nd, Detroit then trades Walman + 2nd for FC.

I just don't see the need for outrage here.
I think Detroit won the prospect swap and lost the Walman trade. WTF is the big deal?
What the hell is this logic? These things do not need to be connected.

Is trading a prime Datsyuk for a 4th rounder a good move because we only spent a 6th on him and its a net gain? Or should we evaluate each move independently based on the latest information?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nah. Sharks don’t need Walman the way they needed Goodrow. They’re just happy to have the extra 2nd round pick.

It’s really just one big transaction from Detroit’s perspective: swap one prospect for another in order to dump Walman’s contract.
The Sharks are definitely happy to have the extra 2nd round pick but pretending like anyone knows who would claim Walman off waivers or not is presumptuous. The Sharks didn't need Goodrow in any real way. I agree they don't need Walman either but it doesn't mean they wouldn't have claimed him anyway. And pointing to Seravalli as if he's some authority on these sorts of things runs counter to the fact that he was embarrassingly wrong about Labanc going on waivers last season to such a point that he held and probably still holds a grudge over it.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
How long do you think it takes to send out a mass email to all the GMs saying "I'm looking to move Walman, send me a message if you're interested."?

I seem to recall a few instances where this was reported to have been done. Can't point to a specific instance (though I think it's happened for waivers) but found it a little amusing that this was actually the solution. Mass email all 32 teams about it. Unless a GM needs to be secretive (unlikely in this case), why not do this first.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Detroit trades a dude for a dude + a 2nd, Detroit then trades Walman + 2nd for FC.

I just don't see the need for outrage here.
I think Detroit won the prospect swap and lost the Walman trade. WTF is the big deal?

Because Detroit threw away a newly acquired 2nd to get rid of a player that someone would have given them an asset for.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
If Yzerman is unable to separate 2 transactions that are already separated for the benefit of the team, that is a problem.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jake has all the physical talent you could ask for, and sometimes makes some brilliant plays, but, unfortunately, for every brilliant play he makes, he follows it up with one or two brutal mental errors. I was hoping they could dump him, but even I was surprised that it took a 2nd round sweetener to make it happen. If you want, check out his advanced stats - they are awful.
You know who else’s advanced stats are awful? Moritz Seider.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Is there any possibility that this deal could be for Vlasic? He is owed a $2.5M signing bonus that is likely due on July 1st. So, perhaps SJ s paying the bonus before shipping him ro Detroit. The 2nd round pick is for this year, so that part of the deal had to be done before the draft. SJ may have wanted Walman before the draft too, so they would have the option of using him in a daft day deal.

I have no idea if such a trade is fair or not. It's simply based on the idea that the futures considerations is a player with a signing bonus due July 1. Vlasic appears to be the only Shark with a significant signing bonus.
Would it make good sense for DET to ship out ~$3M in cap to bring back $7M - even if that is not the cash impact?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
We weren't getting assets for Jake Walman...

You really don't think someone would have given a 7th or some no-name prospect?

They didn't even try and waive him, someone probably would have taken him for free.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
You really don't think someone would have given a 7th or some no-name prospect?

They didn't even try and waive him, someone probably would have taken him for free.
No I don't. He's not particularly good and much more important his contract is terrible. In today's salary cap straped NHL you don't move assets for that.

The fact that they didn't even try waiving him is the most interesting. Stevie clearly thought that there was a 0% chance of a claim or the future considerations is actually something here. That part confuses me though as of right now.

Reactions: Hodge

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
What the hell is this logic? These things do not need to be connected.

Is trading a prime Datsyuk for a 4th rounder a good move because we only spent a 6th on him and its a net gain? Or should we evaluate each move independently based on the latest information?

Is paying Wayne G 100M dollars a season in the form of pepperonis still a valid source of food?

See I can write things that have nothing to do with anything too.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
No I don't. He's not particularly good and much more important his contract is terrible. In today's salary cap straped NHL you don't move assets for that.

The fact that they didn't even try waiving him is the most interesting. Stevie clearly thought that there was a 0% chance of a claim or the future considerations is actually something here. That part confuses me though as of right now.
Weird post, he was Detroit’s second best D and there are two contracts amongst their D that are clearly worse. Sure he shouldn’t be playing top pairing but that’s not his fault and he wasn’t getting paid as such.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Is paying Wayne G 100M dollars a season in the form of pepperonis still a valid source of food?

See I can write things that have nothing to do with anything too.
Great. Seems like your starting to understand that connecting 2 separate trades to try to justify one terrible trade is nonsense.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Great. Seems like your starting to understand that connecting 2 separate trades to try to justify one terrible trade is nonsense.

Except the trades are connected.
We acquired a 2nd round pick.
We traded the 2nd round pick we acquired.
1 trade was a win.
1 trade was a loss.
The outrage over it is dumb.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
1 trade was a win.
1 trade was a loss.
But why go win a trade and immediately go lose the next. Go win the first trade then trade Wallman for whatever asset you could get and then use the 2nd to attach to holl. If this was a 2nd and holl it would make sense. Walman is just not a negative value and especially not a 2nd round pick negative value. Nobody could ever convince me of that

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
1 trade was a win.
1 trade was a loss.
So Yzerman assumed he was going to get Kiiskinen and a 7th for Gibson? And he just couldn't stop his momentum when he accidentally got more for Gibson than he planned? And you're ok with that? Why not try to win 2 trades?

They are 2 separate things. One was maybe a small win, and one was a big loss

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
But why go win a trade and immediately go lose the next. Go win the first trade then trade Wallman for whatever asset you could get and then use the 2nd to attach to holl. If this was a 2nd and holl it would make sense. Walman is just not a negative value and especially not a 2nd round pick negative value. Nobody could ever convince me of that

Don't know why. Neither does anyone else.

ponder this for a second.
Is Yzerman privy to information that we have no access to?
Is Yzerman deserving of a benefit of a doubt based on his past trades?

I think so and until this type of action forms into a pattern I see no need for outrage.
You can dislike it. You can call it out, sure. But the key word here is outrage.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
So Yzerman assumed he was going to get Kiiskinen and a 7th for Gibson? And he just couldn't stop his momentum when he accidentally got more for Gibson than he planned? And you're ok with that? Why not try to win 2 trades?

They are 2 separate things. One was maybe a small win, and one was a big loss

Do you know who Yzerman talked to? What did he say? What was he offered? How is Walman in the locker room? How is he at team meetings? What's his relationship with Yzerman like? What have they said in their conversations?

I can't answer these so how TF can I tell you why the trade went down the way it did?

You answer them.
You tell me sense you seem to know it all.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Do you know who Yzerman talked to? What did he say? What was he offered? How is Walman in the locker room? How is he at team meetings? What's his relationship with Yzerman like? What have they said in their conversations?

I can't answer these so how TF can I tell you why the trade went down the way it did?

You answer them.
You tell me sense you seem to know it all.
According to reporters who talked to sources on other teams, he talked to no one and thus was offered nothing although he could have been offered something

What I've learned, if anything, about the Jake Walman trade

Two days after the deal we are still trying to figure out exactly what happened.
www.shapshotshockey.com
www.shapshotshockey.com
The other puzzling thing is that Yzerman apparently didn’t shop Walman around a ton. Based off some of my conversations and reading reports from others, there were multiple teams that would have been interested in actually trading something for Walman.

And if the Red Wings were truly desperate to be clear of Walman, they could have kept the second-round pick and simply waived him. The San Jose Sharks, I know for a fact, would have claimed him on waivers since they are first in the waiver order, like they did with Barclay Goodrow. In fact, I’ve heard San Jose was happily stunned when Yzerman simply didn’t ask for a return and offered a second-round pick sweetener.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I think the idea of the future considerations being Yzerman having Grier agree to not draft X player at 14 is plausible and that’s why the 2nd was included in the trade vs just a waiver claim

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
I think the idea of the future considerations being Yzerman having Grier agree to not draft X player at 14 is plausible and that’s why the 2nd was included in the trade vs just a waiver claim
This is omit now with how san Jose just moved up 3 spots at 11th lol. I doubt buffalo at 14th will agree with the FC if sharks/wings lol. Honestly just look like a cap dump and get rid of walman in perspective.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Reactions: saska sault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad