Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This isn't even squeezing every last drop. Sounds like no effort was made to see what he could get for Walman.
But who cares? At the end of the day the Red Wings swapped Gibson with Kiiskinen in order to dump Walman's contract. It's a nothing move.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Boy I'm glad you don't call the shots.
I'm obviously worked up right now because I legitimately can't believe Yzerman has made such a boneheaded, poorly thought out move.

But on a separate and serious note, I do truly think that like at least 30% of the people here would be better general managers than like 50% of the league, at least when it comes to asset management and decision-making on players. There's a lot of nepotism in sports; the majority of these guys have very few management qualifications apart from having just played NHL hockey before. It's why a guy like Kyle Davidson can come in and be a very strong GM without very much playing experience at all, because that part doesn't really matter.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because it's bad asset management. Assuming the rumors are true that Walman had value
Walman has negative value. The only halfway reputable source to report on this has been Frank Seravalli who said GMs were surprised at how significant the sweetener Detroit had to attach was, not that they were surprised a sweetener had to be attached in general.

So instead of calling up every team not on Walman's NTC to maybe offload his contract with a 3rd or 4th instead, Yzerman attached a 2nd and got it done immediately. The difference in value between those picks is ultimately insignificant.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Walman has negative value. The only halfway reputable source to report on this has been Frank Seravalli who said GMs were surprised at how significant the sweetener Detroit had to attach was, not that they were surprised a sweetener had to be attached in general.

So instead of calling up every team not on Walman's NTC to maybe offload his contract with a 3rd or 4th instead, Yzerman attached a 2nd and got it done immediately. The difference in value between those picks is ultimately insignificant.
Then why not waivers?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Vancouver just paid a 2nd to dump Mikyaev (retained 15%) which is similar to Walman's deal. Nobody is making a fuss about that.

Might be the cost of doing business.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Then why not waivers?
Because no one would have claimed him. Walman has negative value on that contract. Again, the Seravalli report was not that GMs were interested in trading assets for him. Some of them were just surprised it took a 2nd to move him rather than a smaller sweetener.

Reactions: Blueston

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
People really upset at this dude celebrating? I'm 34 and can't wait to see my boy hit a griddy after he scores. God forbid someone show some personality and have fun in the NHL lmao
Calm down, don't get too worked up over different opinions than yours. People are allowed to hate his celebration, just like others can like it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Because no one would have claimed him. Walman has negative value on that contract. Again, the Seravalli report was not that GMs were interested in trading assets for him. Some of them were just surprised it took a 2nd to move him rather than a smaller sweetener.
Didn't other GMs say they would have paid to get Walman? How is that negative value?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Didn't other GMs say they would have paid to get Walman? How is that negative value?
Based on what? Some random podcaster’s “reporting”?

Seravalli didn’t say GMs would have paid to get Walman. He said some would have taken a lesser sweetener than a 2nd to acquire him.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So Yzerman knew he wouldn't get claimed?
That’s the only logical conclusion. It’s not surprising either. We’re talking about a 28 year old who has only played two NHL seasons, the latest of which was a disaster, and is signed for $3.4M through 2026.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That’s the only logical conclusion. It’s not surprising either. We’re talking about a 28 year old who has only played two NHL seasons, the latest of which was a disaster, and is signed for $3.4M through 2026.
The entire point of this argument is Yzerman doing his due diligence. Not be some wizard predicting the future.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Gotta give it up to Hodge, who only started caring about the player two days ago and is now suddenly the most knowledgeable Jake fan in the world.

Vancouver just paid a 2nd to dump Mikyaev (retained 15%) which is similar to Walman's deal. Nobody is making a fuss about that.

Might be the cost of doing business.
A 2027 pick doesn’t carry the same value.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Detroit trades a dude for a dude + a 2nd, Detroit then trades Walman + 2nd for FC.

I just don't see the need for outrage here.
I think Detroit won the prospect swap and lost the Walman trade. WTF is the big deal?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI

San Jose would have picked him up on waivers like they did with goodrow.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Detroit trades a dude for a dude + a 2nd, Detroit then trades Walman + 2nd for FC.

I just don't see the need for outrage here.
I think Detroit won the prospect swap and lost the Walman trade. WTF is the big deal?

Because trading a 2nd rounder to get rid of a good player on a good contract doesn't make any sense, even if you think the team won the trade to acquire the 2nd rounder.

Detroit had other worse players they could've unloaded and RHD come at a premium. It's puzzling and the reaction is not surprising at all.

iago

Apr 2, 2024
Is he really that bad that they need to pay a 2nd??
Jake has all the physical talent you could ask for, and sometimes makes some brilliant plays, but, unfortunately, for every brilliant play he makes, he follows it up with one or two brutal mental errors. I was hoping they could dump him, but even I was surprised that it took a 2nd round sweetener to make it happen. If you want, check out his advanced stats - they are awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad