Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Per Seravilli multiple GMs didn't even know he was available.

That's not really what the Tweet says, it moreso says Teams didn't know he was being sold with a sweetener and they might have taken a similar deal to take him off their hands.

He might've (you at least assume) talked to teams about trading for him with no sweetener with presumably no takers.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
yes u r. who gives a shit.

no wonder there's zero personality in the game.

Oh, I'm sorry sorry. My boomer ideology is ruining hockey!
Who actually watches hockey; then watches Walman perform the griddy; then smiles and thinks to themselves 'this is exactly the personality we need in the NHL'.

I think the lack of personality arguemnt more stems from what we hear in interviews and the typically reserved nature of hockey players. My opinion of the griddy isnt at all related to the gatekeeping of personality in the NHL - thanks for thinking i have such an impact though.

• Haha
Reactions: Heffyhoof and Trow

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Who actually watches hockey; then watches Walman perform the griddy; then smiles and thinks to themselves 'this is exactly the personality we need in the NHL'.

I think the lack of personality arguemnt more stems from what we hear in interviews and the typically reserved nature of hockey players. My opinion of the griddy isnt at all related to the gatekeeping of personality in the NHL - thanks for thinking i have such an impact though.
I'm 40 and played all my life and I kind of like it.

It's sort of like how in baseball in the last 5 years players started being allowed, culturally, to pimp their homeruns a bit and some sticks in the mud were rubbed the wrong way but ultimately nobody gave a f*** and it became a part of the sport. Hockey will catch up and I have no problem with the griddy.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Every single kid under 17 who watches the sport and are the future of the sport

Last edited by a moderator:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
A trade may have been expected but paying a premium to get nothing in return was not.

We are talking about a guy who was 14th among Dmen in goals last season (23rd over the last 2 seasons) while getting historically difficult usage. We have seen plenty of guys with worse outcomes get moved as reclamation projects plenty of times.
Who was a healthy scratch for the run to the playoffs. They just couldn’t trust him anymore. They have prospects overflowing at this point and didn’t lose anything by doing it, grabbing the extra 2nd. They didn’t have to buy him out like they probably will Holl. Heck, maybe that’s the future from SJ… Claiming Holl

They should also get a pick for Maatta. So they’ll clear almost $9 million and that don’t count if someone else gets bought out. They’re in a good spot right now to add some quality players, as their prospects start creeping into the lineup.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
People hate fun
Not gonna say that was the reason, but if it was, your statement makes no sense

Watch Moneyball and the sound of losing scene.

Hating fun has nothing to do with it. Hating losing should be the bigger priority

Every single kid under 17 who watches the sport and are the future of the sport

Cry harder old man
If dancing thru meaningless goals is the future of sport, crying is exactly what should be happening. And if you support that, then a few tears for you too

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
San Jose is in NorCal. I am honestly surprised at how much a goal celebration upsets people.

Oh, my bad I'm ignorant on California geography.

It doesn't upset me it's cringe I want to die inside when I see it. Not even saying it's a problem in hockey at all. But of course everyone freaks out and pretends I'm giving some absurd Don Cherry'ism - overexaggerates my opinion.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Hating fun has nothing to do with it. Hating losing should be the bigger priority

If dancing thru meaningless goals is the future of sport, crying is exactly what should be happening. And if you support that, then a few tears for you too
Man, some hockey fans just really hate fun

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Which is amusing since he only ever did his dance for OT winners.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Careful, someone might rob you of your cane and dentures in Surrey.

:sarcasm:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Trade tree:
(STL) Walman +2023 2nd
(DET) Leddy

Draft Andrew Gibson (2023 - 2nd)->Gibson to NSH for 2024 2nd->Dump Walman to SJ with 2024 2nd for Future considerations.

Net:
Leddy for Future considerations
Hey, we also got 70 games from Sundqvist in that trade!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Who was a healthy scratch for the run to the playoffs. They just couldn’t trust him anymore. They have prospects overflowing at this point and didn’t lose anything by doing it, grabbing the extra 2nd. They didn’t have to buy him out like they probably will Holl. Heck, maybe that’s the future from SJ… Claiming Holl

They should also get a pick for Maatta. So they’ll clear almost $9 million and that don’t count if someone else gets bought out. They’re in a good spot right now to add some quality players, as their prospects start creeping into the lineup.
But the debate isn't whether Detroit should have kept Walman, or whether the Wings desperately needed to keep that second rounder. It's whether they could have found a team to take him at a lower cost, just from an asset management standpoint.

Now maybe San Jose returns the favor, either via a waiver claim or at the draft, and suddenly this is an entirely different discussion. But at the moment, it seems like Detroit paid more than they had to to unload the player, and I'd have preferred to keep the pick, if only to package it in another deal.

Time will tell, I guess.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Is there any possibility that this deal could be for Vlasic? He is owed a $2.5M signing bonus that is likely due on July 1st. So, perhaps SJ s paying the bonus before shipping him ro Detroit. The 2nd round pick is for this year, so that part of the deal had to be done before the draft. SJ may have wanted Walman before the draft too, so they would have the option of using him in a daft day deal.

I have no idea if such a trade is fair or not. It's simply based on the idea that the futures considerations is a player with a signing bonus due July 1. Vlasic appears to be the only Shark with a significant signing bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad