Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This has to be Kesler/Schneider situation, where he was messing around with someone's wife....

Walman was playing 19-20 minutes a night and not looking out of place. Guy is a legit top 4 defenseman. This makes no sense.
I remember him well in both games vs the Canucks. He played a big part in the goals and the after whistle activity

I cringed. But man does this tosser have a good shot

Not surprising that Detroit moved him. He was being propped up pretty heavily by Seider when they were paired together, which is why when he played away from Seider, Seider's numbers didn't change but Walman's got worse. Good offensive D-man...but realistically a 4-5-6 defenseman on a playoff team and that might even be a stretch because his value is as a PP shooter and most playoff teams don't need that.

On top of that, if Albert Johansson makes the team, he comes much cheaper for similar offensive upside and much more solid defensive work. That and Edvinsson will most likely make the team out of camp, and he has much higher offensive upside than Walman. So Walman would eventually lose his place on the team and that would mean his value is much less to Detroit. It's kind of a freebie 2nd rounder, with the earlier trade, so it's not really a huge asset issue since Yzerman upgraded the forward prospect pool with a surplus defensive prospect.
This is vintage Stevie Why defensive cope.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I remember him well in both games vs the Canucks. He played a big part in the goals and the after whistle activity

I cringed. But man does this tosser have a good shot

This is vintage Stevie Why defensive cope.

While I agree some Wings fans are coping you are severly overrating Walmans capabilities as a defenseman.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Anyone figure out the rationale for this trade yet?
My guess is that the Red Wings liked the forward prospect they got from Nashville and so they considered this 2nd round pick to be a "free" pick burning a hole in their pocket. Which they used to get rid of a player they didn't like

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Strictly a cap dump
This plus Edvinsson is going to take his top 4 spot and would block Johansson from getting a legitimate shot at the roster with Petry and Maata already occupying the other spots, for the moment. Fans are just worked up cause they invested in him. Unless Yzerman identifies someone as a core player, I would not get used to them being on this roster in the coming years.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
they gotta sign Seider and Raymond, at least $17M+ AAV

Probably looking to get a goalie, maybe Gibson.

and then probably looking for better defensive Dmen July 1st like Skjei and OEL

Sleeper Shark

Jun 28, 2018
Antarctica
Technically Yzerman traded UFA cap dump Nick Leddy for Kiiskinen + Larry Keenan.

Yzerman used all outside assets he acquired for free, and still got 3 years out of Walman and 2 years out of Oscar Sundviqst.

Yzerman scored both Kiiskinen and Keenan for free.
That's called asset management - and not particularly good asset management at that.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Trade tree:
(STL) Walman +2023 2nd
(DET) Leddy

Draft Andrew Gibson (2023 - 2nd)->Gibson to NSH for 2024 2nd->Dump Walman to SJ with 2024 2nd for Future considerations.

Net:
Leddy for Future considerations

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Not sure why people are saying it was for nothing or free. Future considerations can be very specific and the simplest and likeliest explanation is that there are some very specific conditions which will be revealed at or after the draft.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not sure why people are saying it was for nothing or free. Future considerations can be very specific and the simplest and likeliest explanation is that there are some very specific conditions which will be revealed at or after the draft.
No, the simplest and likeliest explanation is that he was just a cap dump. When is the last time future considerations turned out to be something let alone something significant?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
No, the simplest and likeliest explanation is that he was just a cap dump. When is the last time future considerations turned out to be something let alone something significant?
If Yzerman dumped Walman and a second because of his terrible Holl/Husso/Chiarot/Copp signings, then he is beyond incompetent and needs to be fired.

I find it hard to believe that Walman (a fan favorite) is so terribly regarded around the NHL that Yzerman would need to attach a second to dump his miniscule contract, and that he wouldn't even put him through waivers first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad