Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He can't evaluate talent and is rage posting on the internet like he has some kind of inside "knowledge".

It's nice that you come to his rescue, but don't baby him, it just makes it worse.

Never insinuated I had any sort of insider knowledge LOL. Atleast I had my Red Wings trade history right Mr. eVerYtHiNg'S a CaP dUmP

Time for bed, kid.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This is always an interesting take. Like do people think they didn't try moving his $3.4 million for the next two years, without giving up the pick?

That’s what the market demanded today. Just like Nashville had to give Detroit a nice prospect to go with a 2nd Rounder for Gibson. Just like whatever AAV teams spend on whatever other player.

Detroit had two dmen both making $3.4 for the next two years, that 31 other teams, all knew they wanted to move. They can’t buy out everyone and teams don’t like retaining multiple years. Maatta should be a different story. He only has the year left, and he’s been very solid. They should be able to get something for him. Especially making less than the other two.

We shall see though.

People skimmed over your post. Let me bump it! ^

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
IMG_8959.jpeg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
After the statement that Ghost is a better version of Walman. Weird thing to state considering they aren't remotely the same kind of player. Walman got caved on the first pairing. Fair. Ghost was getting caved in the most sheltered minutes in the league this past season.

View attachment 887295
Ghost sucks defensively and blows Walman out of the water offensively. I really hope we don't re-sign Ghost but they aren't even close to comparable offensive players.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
This has to be Kesler/Schneider situation, where he was messing around with someone's wife....

Walman was playing 19-20 minutes a night and not looking out of place. Guy is a legit top 4 defenseman. This makes no sense.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yep, the “let’s wait and see” optimism a few have just seems off- there’s nothing good here, makes no sense.
The only thing I can possibly see is that yzerman is going to waive Holl and SJ picks him up, it could at least make some sense. Holl has a 10 team NTC so it’s plausible that SJ was on his no trade list. Other than that I have no idea, feels like yzerman has lost his mind because walman is worth and asset not giving away an additional asset

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The only thing I can possibly see is that yzerman is going to waive Holl and SJ picks him up, it could at least make some sense. Holl has a 10 team NTC so it’s plausible that SJ was on his no trade list. Other than that I have no idea, feels like yzerman has lost his mind because walman is worth and asset not giving away an additional asset
It has to be a contract going to SJ. Nothing else makes sense. Could be any of Copp, Holl, or Husso, and then Yzerman buys out one of the other two when the buyout window opens tomorrow.

Walman is not a great D, but he's not so bad that you have to package him with a second for no return.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
It has to be a contract going to SJ. Nothing else makes sense. Could be any of Copp, Holl, or Husso, and then Yzerman buys out one of the other two when the buyout window opens tomorrow.

Walman is not a great D, but he's not so bad that you have to package him with a second for no return.
This. I just can’t see how it’s anything but this tbh. Walman is not a negative asset nobody can convince me of that.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Isn’t he a decent #4 defenseman? Other than his lame ass celebrations, why would they give up a 2nd to offload him?

It seems to be rather simple from my point of view. If Wallman truly was a decent #4 (paid $3M per year to boot), then a 2nd, or even a 1st would have been coming Detroit's way in this trade. The return indicates that the league consensus of Walman's ideal role is that of a bubble #7D, hence one has to sweeten the pot to take on that $3M salary attached to a bench warmer.

The excitement here comes from a clear disconnect between (some) fans perception of Walman's role/abilities, and the opinions of NHL GMs.

Reactions: Ciao

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
It seems to be rather simple from my point of view. If Wallman truly was a decent #4 (paid $3M per year to boot), then a 2nd, or even a 1st would have been coming Detroit's way in this trade. The return indicates that the league consensus of Walman's ideal role is that of a bubble #7D, hence one has to sweeten the pot to take on that $3M salary attached to a bench warmer.

The excitement here comes from a clear disconnect between (some) fans perception of Walman's role/abilities, and the opinions of NHL GMs.
I’ve watched a lot of walman since he’s come to Detroit the guy is just not a 7th D. He is much better and a comfortable 4-5. This trade makes no sense

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This has to be Kesler/Schneider situation, where he was messing around with someone's wife....

Walman was playing 19-20 minutes a night and not looking out of place. Guy is a legit top 4 defenseman. This makes no sense.

Legit top 4 defenseman who got benched by a team in the midst of a 7 year playoff drought that is horrible defensively . I like Walman, think he's young enough and gifted enough to improve but his career high before this year was 18 points. He scored 21 this year. His offensive skills were mostly his calling card in Detroit, let that sink in.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The future considerations return paired with the additional second makes me think SJ is going to be retaining salary in a trade, possibly to move out Husso in a Saros trade. There is nothing to indicate that Walman needed to be a cap dump. Without additional trades this is just a really bad, unnecessary, dumb move.
San Jose is not going to retain salary in any trades.

Reactions: themelkman

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ghost sucks defensively and blows Walman out of the water offensively. I really hope we don't re-sign Ghost but they aren't even close to comparable offensive players.
As defensemen, I don't care one whit about that aspect.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
As defensemen, I don't care one whit about that aspect.
Having 6 D men who are inept at offense makes a shit blue line so it does help to have some offensive ability as a defenseman. Jake Walman is basically Olli Maatta level who can griddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad