Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] 2024 1st (11OA) for 2024 1st (14OA) and 2024 2nd (42OA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Great trade for SJ.

They weren't going to get one of the top-6 D at 14. This should put them in a very good spot to get one for sure. And if not, that means a really good forward will be available. The cut off for that tier seems to be somewhere around 13-15...so this guarantees them one of the higher potential players in the draft either way.

Also small possibility to continue to move up even higher using one of the other two 2nds.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Feel like Buffalo is trading back for MBN. He will be there at 11 and 14 so why not?
MBN would add attributes lacking in our talented group of forward prospects. If he's the target, they get 42OA and still draft the guy they want. He seems to be in the 15-20 range though, so expecting him to be available at 14 is a bit of a gamble.

Otoh making this trade before draft day suggests our speculation about MBN is wrong, and they have something completely different in mind.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Buffalo probably don't see any difference in quality between those 2 , then why not pick extra

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
It actually is fine from buffalo POV

Thry donr nerd s star player given they draft 6 in the 7-16 range since 19 draft and acquired bynum and drafted power.

If they arnt trading thr pick, they could draft one snf sd low develop them till like 28/29 season.

Thry also have an extra 2nd for trade.
If the Sabres don't get their act together right now, they'll be playing the 28-29 season in Houston.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Great trade for SJ.

They weren't going to get one of the top-6 D at 14. This should put them in a very good spot to get one for sure. And if not, that means a really good forward will be available. The cut off for that tier seems to be somewhere around 13-15...so this guarantees them one of the higher potential players in the draft either way.

Also small possibility to continue to move up even higher using one of the other two 2nds.
I still think they're trying to move up even more. Easier to go from 11 to say 6 than from 14.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I still think they're trying to move up even more. Easier to go from 11 to say 6 than from 14.
Yup, like I said I'm convinced Grier wants one of the top-6 defensemen badly. This should guartenee one of them, but like you say if someone starts falling to the 7-9 range that he really likes he'll have the ammo to move up again.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Beat writers speculate Buffalo is open to trading the pick for the player that can help for the now.

Team trades the pick for 2 picks.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I still want to force a Konecny trade to someone like Buffalo, maybe they wanted to add a 2nd so they can trade their first…Either way, as a Flyers fan it’s hard to feel that SJS didn’t jump the Flyers for some reason, but it seems Briere plays his cards close to his chest so I’m not sure the rest of the league has a good idea who he’s actually interested in

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Beat writers speculate Buffalo is open to trading the pick for the player that can help for the now.

Team trades the pick for 2 picks.
I'd say this is more likely to see their 1st moved. They've now got 2 x 2nds if they wish to move up into the late 1st region, or to use the extra 2nd as more trade capital whilst having a pick in the 2nd still.

They should absolutely move the 1st and 2nds if there is a player who would be worth it.

Reactions: Lion Hound

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
A major mistake? If it was their only second round pick it would be a little bit questionable but a major mistake trading one of three second round picks to move up is a bit dramatic
Gives me a ton of Mueller flashbacks. There’s just very little need for it.

I’ll admit saying major was dramatic though

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Sennecke is gonna go 4-8. There is no way he is there at 14.
Im saying SJS #11..... I think UTA, OTT, SEA all take Dmen, and I dont see CGY passing on Iginla

1. Macklin Celebrini, C - SJS
2. Artem Levshunov, D - CHI
3. Zeev Buium, D - ANA
4. Ivan Demidov, C/W - CLB
5. Cayden Lindstrom, C - MTL
6. Zayne Parekh, D - UTA
7. Sam Dickinson, D - OTT
8. Anton Silayev, D - SEA
9. Tij Iginla, W - CGY
10. Beckett Sennecke, W - NJD
11. Cole Eiserman, W - SJS
12. Berkly Catton, C - PHI
13. Carter Yakemchuk, D - MIN
14. Konsta Helenius, C/W - BUF
15. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, W - DET

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'd say this is more likely to see their 1st moved. They've now got 2 x 2nds if they wish to move up into the late 1st region, or to use the extra 2nd as more trade capital whilst having a pick in the 2nd still.

They should absolutely move the 1st and 2nds if there is a player who would be worth it.
Well think about it in terms of who needs a D-man (although you can never have too many). NJ probably wont draft one, Ottawa... probably not, Montreal probably won't. Chicago probably goes Demidov and if not someone else will. That's 5 out of the top 10 (including Celebrini) that probably won't go D. I don't think Utah will since they need scoring options and drafted Sim high last year. Calgary is a wild card as is Seattle.

I saw somewhere that if Eiserman was available, he would be there pick.
At this point, I don't believe a word from anyone about what the Sharks plan on doing. Everything they've swung in the last week or so has been completely off the radar.

Reactions: Makoshark

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
People are wondering why a team would trade up before seeing who is taken. Teams have tiers with their draft list. They don't know who will be on the board, but it is a mathematical certainty that if there is a tier that ends at 11, they will get one of the guys on that tier.

This is probably the same reason Chicago did the trade with the Islanders.

The only argument against that would be there is a small possibility that one of their guys could fall to 14 and they gave up the pick for nothing.

It is a bit odd, because we haven't seen teams do this often in past years. It's either a change in thinking, or it is possible that this is a unique draft where different teams have very different interpretations of where the tiers start and end.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Im saying SJS #11..... I think UTA, OTT, SEA all take Dmen, and I dont see CGY passing on Iginla

1. Macklin Celebrini, C - SJS
2. Artem Levshunov, D - CHI
3. Zeev Buium, D - ANA
4. Ivan Demidov, C/W - CLB
5. Cayden Lindstrom, C - MTL
6. Zayne Parekh, D - UTA
7. Sam Dickinson, D - OTT
8. Anton Silayev, D - SEA
9. Tij Iginla, W - CGY
10. Beckett Sennecke, W - NJD
11. Cole Eiserman, W - SJS
12. Berkly Catton, C - PHI
13. Carter Yakemchuk, D - MIN
14. Konsta Helenius, C/W - BUF
15. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, W - DET
Utah is tough to figure out because they need some high-end excitement and drafted Sim high last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad