Simon Gagne or Tyler Seguin?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who had the better peak and career?

• Gagne peak and career

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Gagne peak, Sequin career

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Sequin peak and career

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Seguin peak, Gagne career

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Even

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Gagne peak, Seguin career

Gagne's was deadly in his b2b 40-goal seasons. One of those years he did it on a team where the 2nd leading scorer on Philly was 54-point Mike Knuble.

Seguin always had a better cast around him and obviously has had the better career with more games and points and a cup.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Waiting for the Forsberg quote, Gagne career and peak, not only did he have the big goal seasons he was a two-way defensive beast, guy was just a better hockey player imo.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Seguin peaked as a top 5 scorer in the entire league. He also has a top 10 finish and a top 15 finish on top of that.

Gagne peaked at 27th in NHL scoring. His 47 goal season came playing alongside Peter Forsberg, one of the greatest playmakers of all time. His goals without Forsberg in the lineup were very pedestrian.

And even then, he was 7th in goals that year.

Seguin has two 5th place finishes in goals.

To me this is Seguin quite easily for both peak and career.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'm a bit surprised Gagne is getting any votes here.

I don't normally use AINEC but I think it applies here.

Seguin was as good a goal scorer and a significantly better point producer who was actually competing for the Art Ross at some point. 2nd in PPG in 2014-15 but missed 11 games that put him out of the running

Reactions: banks and Voight

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting comparison as they're both very "peaky" players. And they've also had some less impressive, or injury hampered stretches in their careers on the whole.

I kind of lean toward Seguin peak, Gagne career. But i really don't know...it's pretty mixed up. Gagne was so much more fun to watch, and he was a great two-way player...but in terms of peak, i think Seguin probably hit higher heights. I think Seguin might even be the more durable player in terms of career longevity too, if i really objectively looked at it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Gagne peak, Seguin career

Gagne's was deadly in his b2b 40-goal seasons. One of those years he did it on a team where the 2nd leading scorer on Philly was 54-point Mike Knuble.

Seguin always had a better cast around him and obviously has had the better career with more games and points and a cup.
But Knuble had 54 points in 64 games. Gagne only had 68 points in 76 games that year, it's not like he was head an shoulders above the rest of the team.

Reactions: Voight

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Waiting for the Forsberg quote, Gagne career and peak, not only did he have the big goal seasons he was a two-way defensive beast, guy was just a better hockey player imo.
How do you argue Gagne for either really? I hear the defensive/overall argument, but he was never really that great defensively, never a threat for Selke consideration.

Gagne career is 291 goals and 601pts compared to Seguin's 351 goals and 788 pts. During the length of their careers, Gagne was 55th in points and 30th in goals compared to Seguin during his career so far being 19th in points and 12th in goals. There isn't any hardware that should swing anything here....it's very difficult to make the case for Gagne.

For peak, I was going to say this is where you might be able to make a case, but after looking closer, it might even be harder. Gagne had the back to back years where he scored 40+ goals, but even those years he was only 7th and 9th in goals (Seguin has 3 seasons where he was 7th or better....peaked at 5th) and Gagne was only 30th and 52nd in overall scoring those years. His peak was 27th....only season in top 30. Seguin has been in the top 30 in scoring 6 times, peaking at 4th.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm a bit surprised Gagne is getting any votes here.

I don't normally use AINEC but I think it applies here.

Seguin was as good a goal scorer and a significantly better point producer who was actually competing for the Art Ross at some point. 2nd in PPG in 2014-15 but missed 11 games that put him out of the running

Yep. Gagner is pretty underrated in general. I don't see his name pop up too often, despite being a really good hockey player. He was so fun to watch.

But this is Seguin. No question.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
But Knuble had 54 points in 64 games. Gagne only had 68 points in 76 games that year, it's not like he was head an shoulders above the rest of the team.

I guess I'm also going by eye test. I remember during those years that every time my team played Philly, Gagne was pretty much the only one that had me nervous when he was on the ice.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad