Simon Edvinsson

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Edvinsson is just a special talent, he might have some of the best tools of any defenseman drafted since Hedman. Not sure if he can put it all togehter, but that skating, size and vision is something else.

I'm hopeful that he eventually will put it all together, but even now at the age of 21 he looks like a top-4 D which is good enough at his draft position.

By just filling out his frame he'll improve his game, and he will most likely make less defensive mistakes with experience. Worst case we'll have a smooth skating 6'6" d-man in our top-4 and penality kill who can play 20-22 min a night.

Oh and i forgot to mention that he can manhandle guys

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It's hilarious that he does this and it's not the first time. I remember last season he did the same thing "toying" with the guy trying to fight him and he tossed that guy to the ground too. Some around here were saying he "should be more aware" that kind of stuff could get himself hurt

Reinhardt there is 6'1 207lbs so he's no small fish

If he's fighting a legit brute like another Moritz Seider out there I don't think he's gonna be toying around the same way

Reactions: Lampedampe

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
It's hilarious that he does this and it's not the first time. I remember last season he did the same thing "toying" with the guy trying to fight him and he tossed that guy to the ground too. Some around here were saying he "should be more aware" that kind of stuff could get himself hurt

Reinhardt there is 6'1 207lbs so he's no small fish

If he's fighting a legit brute like another Moritz Seider out there I don't think he's gonna be toying around the same way

Yeah, couldn't find it in any highlight from last game. But I remember seeing him just effortlessly just redirect a guy away from Lyon. He just moves guys without even looking at them, it has to be the worst feeling for the opposing player.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Getting 47pts as a rookie, skating like he does will lead to success. Most teams #1 dman are like Hughes now, defending is easy to learn, elite skill is not

WHAT! Literally every person in the game of hockey always talks about how defence is the hardest thing to learn in the NHL or pros at all. Especially for young defenceman.

Yeah, couldn't find it in any highlight from last game. But I remember seeing him just effortlessly just redirect a guy away from Lyon. He just moves guys without even looking at them, it has to be the worst feeling for the opposing player.

That is cause there were no highlights from the last game. :sarcasm:

Reactions: izlez

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If and when it finally comes to playoff hockey, I would rather an Edvinsson than Hughes. Refereeing won't change, playoffs are made for players like Seider and Edvinsson.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
It would really depend on what Ed tops out at, but Quinn Hughes is a monster. You talk as if he was bad in the playoffs, he has 2 goals and 24 assists in 30 playoff games. Dude just put a 92 point season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It would really depend on what Ed tops out at, but Quinn Hughes is a monster. You talk as if he was bad in the playoffs, he has 2 goals and 24 assists in 30 playoff games. Dude just put a 92 point season.

Yes, but no shutouts. Can't really be compared to Ed until he puts up 2 or 3 shutouts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Plus we should have him instead of Zadina… To everyone that bemoans off the glass and out Hughes has the best breakout passing in the league. Oh well, either a free agent, trade or one of the Grand Rapids guys will need to grab that #4 spot. Pretty confident ASP is a top 4 dman at this point.

Reactions: raymond23

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think we're talking about Luke Hughes who was in Ed's draft. Quinn is another level of player.

We don't need Ed to be an offensive beast because we have ASP coming. We need him to be a defensive stalwart because our defense sucks ass right now. In 2-3 years, a top 4D of
XX-Seider
Edvinsson-ASP
Hopefully would be amazing. I'd target a guy like Theodore for Seider.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think we're talking about Luke Hughes who was in Ed's draft. Quinn is another level of player.

We don't need Ed to be an offensive beast because we have ASP coming. We need him to be a defensive stalwart because our defense sucks ass right now. In 2-3 years, a top 4D of
XX-Seider
Edvinsson-ASP
Hopefully would be amazing. I'd target a guy like Theodore for Seider.
Or we could have
Ed- Seider
Shut down defenseman - ASP
But for that they need to trade for for one and now is a good time for that.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Yeah, I was definitely under the impression that the Hughes discussion was around Luke, the "more offensive upside" defenseman taken 2 spots ahead of Edvinsson

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Quinn is great. Word is still out on Luke. And Luke is the discussion here. Sergei didn't make Fedor a good player.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Nnowski

Jun 11, 2024
totally. i could defend like lidstrom if only i knew how to skate
Lidstrom wasn't a consistent Norris winner because he was great at defense. He won Norris' because he was great at defense while putting up 70pts a year

WHAT! Literally every person in the game of hockey always talks about how defence is the hardest thing to learn in the NHL or pros at all. Especially for young defenceman.

That is cause there were no highlights from the last game. :sarcasm:
4th lines and 3rd pairs are full no offense, elite defensive players. It's extremely hard to find a player elite at both, but was easier to find one elite at defense. Maatta has been by far the Wings best pure "defender" since he's been here. But it doesn't matter because he isn't capable of generating offense at a reasonable rate to justify higher deployment

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
4th lines and 3rd pairs are full no offense, elite defensive players. It's extremely hard to find a player elite at both, but was easier to find one elite at defense. Maatta has been by far the Wings best pure "defender" since he's been here. But it doesn't matter because he isn't capable of generating offense at a reasonable rate to justify higher deployment
Players playing against other players that can't score doesn't make them elite defensively. Maatta is among our best defenders though. Be nice if they stuck him with a guy who wasn't completely inept and utilized his abilities higher up the lineup.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Lidstrom wasn't a consistent Norris winner because he was great at defense. He won Norris' because he was great at defense while putting up 70pts a year

You're mixing forwards and defensemen in your argument. Being a good at actual defense as a defenseman at the NHL level is extremely hard. I shouldn't have to point that out if you take one look at the Wings blueline.

If Maatta is the Wings best pure defender, why isn't he the first one over the boards on the PK instead of the last?

He plays limited and protected minutes and is utilized well. Because he looks pretty good at 16 minutes a game (with only AlJo averaging fewer minutes) that does not make him the best pure defender. Put him out there in Seider's role, not only is he going to score less but he's gonna get walked regularly.

Reactions: RRhoads

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You're mixing forwards and defensemen in your argument. Being a good at actual defense as a defenseman at the NHL level is extremely hard. I shouldn't have to point that out if you take one look at the Wings blueline.

If Maatta is the Wings best pure defender, why isn't he the first one over the boards on the PK instead of the last?

He plays limited and protected minutes and is utilized well. Because he looks pretty good at 16 minutes a game (with only AlJo averaging fewer minutes) that does not make him the best pure defender. Put him out there in Seider's role, not only is he going to score less but he's gonna get walked regularly.

I think with Maatta it is likely a conditioning thing/health thing. He got pneumonia and his ice time dropped from 19-20 down to 15-16 a game. Strictly from pure defence I think he probably is our best defensive defender. He simply can't handle more ice time anymore.

Reactions: Realgud

Nnowski

Jun 11, 2024
Players playing against other players that can't score doesn't make them elite defensively. Maatta is among our best defenders though. Be nice if they stuck him with a guy who wasn't completely inept and utilized his abilities higher up the lineup.
I know, some bottom 6ers just suck in general. Being good at defense, at least to a tolerable level is more of an effort thing for an NHLers.

I think Maatta is legitimately good at defense, even in an elevated role. Maatta used to be an offense first, quick defenseman. But he had a bad run of injured and was forced to "simplify" his game. Every dman knows where to be and what they are supposed to do, it's just boring playing defensive hockey. It's 99% hockey IQ at the NHL level and we can see that from Seider. He can defend at an elite level, but what makes him elite as a player is the ability to transition that into offense (if Lalonde let's him)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I think with Maatta it is likely a conditioning thing/health thing. He got pneumonia and his ice time dropped from 19-20 down to 15-16 a game. Strictly from pure defence I think he probably is our best defensive defender. He simply can't handle more ice time anymore.

I would argue that Maatta's minutes dropped because the Wings defense got better so they could use him in a more limited role. Again, if he's our best defensive defender, why wouldn't be out on the PK? If he's got some permanent lung issue from pneumonia then he shouldn't be in the lineup.

I know, some bottom 6ers just suck in general. Being good at defense, at least to a tolerable level is more of an effort thing for an NHLers.

I think Maatta is legitimately good at defense, even in an elevated role. Maatta used to be an offense first, quick defenseman. But he had a bad run of injured and was forced to "simplify" his game. Every dman knows where to be and what they are supposed to do, it's just boring playing defensive hockey. It's 99% hockey IQ at the NHL level and we can see that from Seider. He can defend at an elite level, but what makes him elite as a player is the ability to transition that into offense (if Lalonde let's him)

Every Dman may "know" what they should do, but to be able to do it at game speed is a rare quality.

You think all these guys are choosing not to be good at defense because they get bored? That someone like Cholowski is passing up a regular NHL job because playing defense is too boring? He'd rather stick to offense in the AHL?

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Nnowski

Jun 11, 2024
I would argue that Maatta's minutes dropped because the Wings defense got better so they could use him in a more limited role. Again, if he's our best defensive defender, why wouldn't be out on the PK? If he's got some permanent lung issue from pneumonia then he shouldn't be in the lineup.

Every Dman may "know" what they should do, but to be able to do it at game speed is a rare quality.

You think all these guys are choosing not to be good at defense because they get bored? That someone like Cholowski is passing up a regular NHL job because playing defense is too boring? He'd rather stick to offense in the AHL?
I think higher level players choose that yeah, not the ones trying to break into the league. I think Chiarot knows he shouldn't randomly try to rush the puck, or repeatedly shove someone in the upper back while chasing them around the ice. It's just more fun to play that way lol. It's not a coincidence a coach like Torts gets everyone to be elite at defense within a few months

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Clarke, Eklund, Wyatt Johnston, Guenther

Clarke - I like this player, but he is in his 4th NHL season and Simon is already ahead of him with ice time on a better team. (Simon's top end is higher)
Eklund - 19 goals in his career a 5'11" left winger from Sweden. Dime a dozen.
Johnston - I do think a case can be made here. This guy has come on and the Wings are in desperate need of a center, as they showed in the subsequent drafts.
Guenther - He is in the right place at the right time, with the Stars. Love how he was told he made the NHL, but not making that 1 for 1 swap today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad