Simon Edvinsson

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Using /60 stats when a guy hasnt even played 60 minutes is certainly a choice. Advanced stats have a place for sure, but this is exactly the time of year they mean nothing and the eye test is way better. Hes been really good the last 2 games

I always said you can't judge Hronek until he gets a legit NHL level partner. Ed has it a bit easier because he's got low level 3rd pair partners instead of AHL level partners like Hronek, but D stats rely so heavily on the partner you have to take things with a grain of salt. When a defenseman has a crappy partner, they try to cover for their partner instead of covering their man.

Case in point from the last game, Holl gets turned around by the puck carrier, Ed decides to lean in that direction instead of covering his man. End result... goal.

View attachment 917686
Whatcha doing Holl? Ya commit that much to one side, you know any competent puck handler is gonna go behind your back dummy.

View attachment 917687

Ed's got a split second to make a decision, Holl never catches up, Ed's trying to make sure the puck carrier doesn't have a shot or an easy path to the crease, leaves his man open a bit, and Lyon allows a soft goal like Husso is his mentor and role model. He had plenty of time to position himself better.

Holl screws up, Lyon let's in a softie, Ed gets -1 and HDCA. That's how stats work.

I watched this a few time to capture the right frames. I'm now convinced that Cam is the only hope for this season.

I get that using a small sample size and certain advance stats aren't the best.

I'm using the advanced stats as supporting evidence to my eye test. My eye test says he's frequently responsible for high quality chances against and he has to improve to be a legit top-4 d-man.

Am I writing his career off? No. I'm replying to a person saying that here, today, based on a 3 game sample he is great and I'm saying that no, in that 3 game sample, he hasn't been great.

I appreciate the screenshots and that is an example of not being his fault. But, I've seen plenty of examples so far that I think are his fault, and that's why he's seeing so many dangerous chances against while he's on the ice so far.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
I get that using a small sample size and certain advance stats aren't the best.

I'm using the advanced stats as supporting evidence to my eye test. My eye test says he's frequently responsible for high quality chances against and he has to improve to be a legit top-4 d-man.

Am I writing his career off? No. I'm replying to a person saying that here, today, based on a 3 game sample he is great and I'm saying that no, in that 3 game sample, he hasn't been great.

I appreciate the screenshots and that is an example of not being his fault. But, I've seen plenty of examples so far that I think are his fault, and that's why he's seeing so many dangerous chances against while he's on the ice so far.
This take is the correct take. Ed has made a notable number of mistakes in the first three games this season, which is A) expected, regardless of how good he's supposed to be, B) totally fine, it's a necessary learning curve, and C) does not impact how good he will ultimately turn out. But he's still making mistakes.

The upside continues to be there for Ed, given his physical attributes and tools. The offense is still a question mark, how many points he'll put up in the future is still a question mark. He has a very high floor though.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
With Mo , Ed , ASP and AJo we are set for long time on defense. Just need to get big solid stay home defansman like Ericsson to compliment those 4.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think Seider actually gave Wings fans unreasonable expectations of young dmen.
Exactly, Seider's been on the whole another level the entire time. Carrying defense at that age in NHL is rare.
With Mo , Ed , ASP and AJo we are set for long time on defense. Just need to get big solid stay home defansman like Ericsson to compliment those 4.
Stevie is a way ahead of you buddy, that's why a high draft pick was used on Brady Cleveland. :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad