• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yep, if you can't get Lindstrom or Demidov.. you will have Sennecke sitting there, and the fan base will forgive a whiff on a massive upside forward more than they'll forgive taking a LD if he doesn't become a Norris candidate.
I don't think HuGo think about the fan base reaction, even long term, when they make their picks. They picked Reinbacher and Slaf because they thought it was the best chance to win a cup long term, imo.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think HuGo think about the fan base reaction, even long term, when they make their picks. They picked Reinbacher and Slaf because they thought it was the best chance to win a cup long term, imo.

Word is that they were conscious about it after what happened with Reinbacher. Not that they'd pass on their BPA because the fans would be mad - but in a draft where all their decision makers are going to be in different corners, I find it hard for them to all be on board with a LD unless they are all CERTAIN he's going to not only be BPA but the best LD on the team.

I don't think they'll get there at all.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sennecke, Iginla, Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson, Levshunov, Demidov, Yakemchuck are all 'good,' viable options at 5 OA. An argument could be made for any of them. The good news for Montreal is that we are going to get one of them. And if Hughes could do a little magic with 26 OA , this could turn out to be a pivotal draft in the team's re-build.

No actually Buium is bad news, we've decided. In fact, that will be his nickname on our team. "Bad news" Buium.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Word is that they were conscious about it after what happened with Reinbacher. Not that they'd pass on their BPA because the fans would be mad - but in a draft where all their decision makers are going to be in different corners, I find it hard for them to all be on board with a LD unless they are all CERTAIN he's going to not only be BPA but the best LD on the team.

I don't think they'll get there at all.

I think with Reinbacher, they were making sure that Reinbacher was in the best spot to succeed and develop in his D+1 year, and they took fan reaction into consideration for that...

About taking an LD, they have to envision a plan: what are they going to do if that LD becomes a 1st pair LD? Are they going to trade one of Hutson, Guhle or Xhekaj? On that front, I don't think it's the end of the world if they do. If the LD becomes a sold 2nd pair D, is that much worse of a scenario than their 5th overall only becoming another Alex Newhook level foward? In the case of the forward it's usefull for the team. In the case of the dman, that dman becomes a trade chip. But the second line winger position is one of the most easy to fill on the trade and especially the UFA market. I'm thinking out loud about the upside and the downside.

I still lean toward trying to make sure I give myself the best chance to get the upside. The downside in both scenarios just isn't that great.

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Nabbing another high pick like 6 or even a 10-11 overall would be fantastic!
It’s all a matter of cost. Securing another top 10 pick might be an overreach.

As most now realize, this is a deep draft with many excellent prospects being available in the first round. It may be a wiser and more realistic strategy to use the 26 OA pick to move up in the draft. How aggressive I would be would depend on if a targeted player starts to drop. For example, If Yakemchuk drops to the mid-teens, I would make every effort to be in a position to take a player I believe has a chance to be the most impactful defenceman to come out of this draft.

Another option may to move up a couple of spots to secure your targeted prospect. That type of transaction may only involve adding one of our two third round picks. Nevetheless, having two picks in this target rich draft is very enviable position to be in.

Reactions: BLONG7

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It’s all a matter of cost. Securing another top 10 pick might be an overreach.

As most now realize, this is a deep draft with many excellent prospects being available in the first round. It may be a wiser and more realistic strategy to use the 26 OA pick to move up in the draft. How aggressive I would be would depend on if a targeted player starts to drop. For example, If Yakemchuk drops to the mid-teens, I would make every effort to be in a position to take a player I believe has a chance to be the most impactful defenceman to come out of this draft.

Another option may to move up a couple of spots to secure your targeted prospect. That type of transaction may only involve adding one of our two third round picks. Nevetheless, having two picks in this target rich draft is very enviable position to be in.
San Jose has one of the weakest D prospect pools. I would try and trade one or two young Dmen for their #14 pick.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I made a proposal of this on the mains not long ago. It did not go well lmao. Sharks fans want Guhle or Reinbacher + the 26th overall.
Grier would be lucky to get Barron and maybe Harris for the #14. Shark fans are dillusional

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Grier would be lucky to get Barron and maybe Harris for the #14. Shark fans are dillusional
If I were the sharks, I wouldn't trade the 14th pick for 26th, Barron, and Harris. Too many good players in this year's top 15.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Who's going to make space for your top-tier playmaker? Double shift Slaf? Maybe Kent should trade for Marner, he's a top-tier playmaker, and we all know how he produces when space gets tight.

Is this guy not good enough for you? lol

David-Desharnais-POTW.jpg
Even Edmonton replaced him with a bigger guy with the same last name

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I am torn between Iginla and Sennecke.
Not too many players can thrive in the Montreal fishbowl. I feel very strongly that Iginla can. However, I don't see it with Sennecke. Plus, he will face tremendous pressure if picked 5th, as the media will see it as a reach. He will be constantly compared from the start to players like Iginla, Dickinson, Buium and Parekh, who will all be high point producers. This will be a trainwreck IMO.

Iginla's name will protect him a bit, and I think he has the personality and confidence to overcome any issues from the media along the way. I see a lot of confidence in him, just like Slaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad