Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Really wish we had another top 12 pick this year.
In this deep draft , having that 26 OA pick provides us with multiple options. It’s not a top 12 pick, but as most now realize , there will be high quality prospects available in the 24 OA to 32 OA range. Let’s hope that Hughes uses that increasingly valuable asset wisely.

Last edited:

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Catton's skills are underrated.

The chiefs also sucked. It wasn't like he was piling up points on a strong team. This was the Spokane chiefs scoring list:

Catton (C) = 116 points
Roulette (RW) = 108 points
Bertholet (LW) = 71 points
Crampton (D) = 57 points
Van Olm (LW) = 35 points
Cheveldayoff (LW) = 35 points
Feist (D) = 33 points
Ekstrom (C) = 29 points

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Lots of people are calling him an awkward skater. IMO it's because he's almost always on his inside edges. You on the other hand see a mohawk turn and compare his skating to Crosby, Makar and Hughes. Literally who else is making that comparison? Lol

You answered your own question

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Intrigued list…

Jett Luchanko
Michael Hage
Cole Beaudoin
Yegor Surin
If we can get Vanacker at 26 OA it will be very good draft regardless of whom we select at 5 OA.

In following Florian Xhekaj this year, I watched Vanacker play at least 2 dozen times. This kid has NHL speed and excellent offensive skills. Vanacker should go in the late teens of the draft. If he starts to fall, let’s hope Hughes isn’t sitting on his hands hoping that the draft comes to him. Vanacker is a player we should be ready and willing to aggressively move up for.

Last edited:

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Dammit, gonna dare to dream. Pick 26 is moved and Montreal owns two Top 15s.

(Lindstrom, Demidov out of reach)

Lots of options, but here are two I’d love.

Sennecke and Catton, bit unrealistic, but…
Dickinson and Hage

Reactions: Tyson

Jul 6, 2016
If Demidov is still available at #5, it could probably means that teams drafting 2nd, 3rd or 4th are scared of the « Russian Factor » (KHL). Habs would then be in the same position than last year. Take the gamble or not.

Reactions: cphabs

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
If Demidov is still available at #5, it could probably means that teams drafting 2nd, 3rd or 4th are scared of the « Russian Factor » (KHL). Habs would then be in the same position than last year. Take the gamble or not.
I think there is more at play than just the Putin factor. Some (many) are concerned about the level of competition that Demidov has excelled at.

With the depth of this draft, and the other potential impact players available, teams drafting at the top of the draft, may be disinclined from assuming the risk of drafting this skilled, smallish and unproven Russian player. Their caution and reticence is not unwarranted.

Jul 6, 2016
I think there is more at play than just the Putin factor. Some (many) are concerned about the level of competition that Demidov has excelled at.

With the depth of this draft, and the other potential impact players available, teams drafting at the top of the draft, may be disinclined from assuming the risk of drafting this skilled, smallish and unproven Russian player. Their caution and reticence is not unwarranted.
I agree to a certain degree, but many high draft picks had played at lower levels than CHL to have a chance to play at College level later on. NHL teams took chances on them anyway like Makar, Newhook, Jost….

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

He excelled in the same league that Kuznetsov, Panarin and Kaprisov did….as a matter of fact, he pretty much destroyed their totals.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
He excelled in the same league that Kuznetsov, Panarin and Kaprisov did….as a matter of fact, he pretty much destroyed their totals.
I'm only asking because I'm not very familiar with the Russian junior leagues, but could that maybe be due to survivorship bias? Demidov outscored those guys for sure, but that's a late first rounder, a fifth rounder, and an undrafted player. So Demidov as possibly a top 2 pick should certainly blow their numbers away, or else those guys would have went much higher. Is there a possibility that they just developed exceptionally well?

Also, is there a gluttony of Russian prospects drafted over the last 20 years that also had excellent numbers in the MHL that didn't amount to successful NHL careers? Basically Im wondering how well the production in that league has correlated to NHL success. Obviously you can just watch Demidov to see how exceptionally skilled he is, so I would be thrilled for the Habs to get him. Honestly, it seems that a lot of the exceptionally skilled Russian prospects end up staying up with the KHL team in very limited minutes so the production is tough to draw any conclusions from.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
I'm only asking because I'm not very familiar with the Russian junior leagues, but could that maybe be due to survivorship bias? Demidov outscored those guys for sure, but that's a late first rounder, a fifth rounder, and an undrafted player. So Demidov as possibly a top 2 pick should certainly blow their numbers away, or else those guys would have went much higher. Is there a possibility that they just developed exceptionally well?

Also, is there a gluttony of Russian prospects drafted over the last 20 years that also had excellent numbers in the MHL that didn't amount to successful NHL careers? Basically Im wondering how well the production in that league has correlated to NHL success. Obviously you can just watch Demidov to see how exceptionally skilled he is, so I would be thrilled for the Habs to get him. Honestly, it seems that a lot of the exceptionally skilled Russian prospects end up staying up with the KHL team in very limited minutes so the production is tough to draw any conclusions from.
With the political climate in Russia right now a lot of these leagues have lost talent over the past few years. That might be where the competition level talk is from. The top teams are still powerhouses but a lot of the lower teams are weaker. That doesn't mean that Demidov can't be great (I like him). I would trust our management and scouting department to decide. I am sure that they have seen Demidov against other prospects that are his age and can get a idea of his skill level.

I really like Catton. I would be extremely happy with Demidov as well. It is looking like we will be able to grab a good player regardless of how the teams above us pick.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
The chiefs also sucked. It wasn't like he was piling up points on a strong team. This was the Spokane chiefs scoring list:

Catton (C) = 116 points
Roulette (RW) = 108 points
Bertholet (LW) = 71 points
Crampton (D) = 57 points
Van Olm (LW) = 35 points
Cheveldayoff (LW) = 35 points
Feist (D) = 33 points
Ekstrom (C) = 29 points

Now look at Iggy on the rockets. He carried that team

Reactions: danisonfire

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

With Demidov it's about how much can he progress physically as he is skinny, not very strong, he's got a lot of work to do but the thought is what happens if/when he does, he could be one of the best players in the league but it might take several years before he matures physically.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Same eye test for me in the highlights, spread static legs half the times he dangles. Does not mean anything obviously but I see a smaller Galchenyuk as well style-wise. There are guys like Catton making dangles at high speed, feet moving and all. I’m sure scouts rely on more than 3-4 youtube highlight reels but I see the same.
I know i'm no professional scout but I do coach and the fact his skates stop moving while he makes plays is likely the one weakness that worries me.

Making plays and shooting in stride at speed is what make great players. Great hand and IQ does'nt necessarily make a great player. It works for now for him but when time and space vanish how will that translate. Sorry I don't see Hutson dynamism in his edge work.

Demidov is very good in junior but i have a feel it won't translate well against bigger boys with better anticipation and harder physical defending... everyone knows the expression 'Hitting a wall'... i could see a Xhekaj type of player laying him out cold early in his career.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
With Demidov it's about how much can he progress physically as he is skinny, not very strong, he's got a lot of work to do but the thought is what happens if/when he does, he could be one of the best players in the league but it might take several years before he matures physically.
Other factors are how much his talent translates into the NHL. Is Linstrom, Iginla and Catton playing NHL rink size and living in NA gives them a percentage of more success?
And the size factor gives advantage to Lindstrom, Sennecke and Iginla. They will all grow more and when they will fully mature at the age of 24, who will fit better for the NHL PO style of play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad