Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think that is what we will try to do. Getting two hits at forward in this draft really does shape up our youth pool well. The guys in this draft are 7 years younger than Suzuki. That's a good age range core while we move through our transition years. Still work to do in the next few drafts but that's more about cap advantages (inserting ELC when the others ahead of them are taking most of our cap).

That last part is essential in making sure the Habs don't become a victim of the cap. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kent Hughes in the next few years start to package picks more often to move up so he can use good leverage during TDL (1sts/2nds) while still having the means to draft promising players with decent chances of being a middle six/second pairing nhler. Everyone remembers the infamous 2017 TDL for Bargain Bin Bergevin. Once this team is completive, they can't afford to not take risks but they also can become like the leafs will absolutely no draft capital either. It'll be interesting to see Hughes wheeling and dealing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That last part is essential in making sure the Habs don't become a victim of the cap. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kent Hughes in the next few years start to package picks more often to move up so he can use good leverage during TDL (1sts/2nds) while still having the means to draft promising players with decent chances of being a middle six/second pairing nhler. Everyone remembers the infamous 2017 TDL for Bargain Bin Bergevin. Once this team is completive, they can't afford to not take risks but they also can become like the leafs will absolutely no draft capital either. It'll be interesting to see Hughes wheeling and dealing

100% agree. Don't assemble a core with no depth and draft power like the Leafs. This Habs rebuild can last for 10+ years if we do it right and stay patient where we jump on circumstances (like Dach).

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Habs barely have enough contracts for the players they currently have. Over quantity is an issue for them right now. They're better off packaging next year's Calgary/Florida 1st, a 2nd, and their 26th OA this year to move up to around 10-15.

If they can leave the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom and another projected top 10 (one or two will fall, happens every year), they could literally draft no one else and come out as the draft winners
I agree. Plus, the Habs need forward prospects sooner than later to fit with the core. They need building blocks today and in that sense, picks this year (especially rounds 1 and 2) hold more value in 2024 than 2025. It would not surprise me if the Canadiens do try to move some picks to draft more or to improve their draft positions in 2024. Need to be careful about it and about which picks you are willing to give away to improve this year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
FWIW

Engels on Marinaro's podcast said that if one of Lindstrom or Demidov are there, he expects them to take that player.

And he said it's less than 1% that both will be there.

Moreover he said that he thinks they'll try hard to package things to move up into the 15-10 range.

And a bit different than Arpon where he said they'd probably look to slide back if both Demidov/Lindstrom are gone unless they were convinced one of the D remaining was a legitimate 1D.
Everyone is guessing just like we are.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Which should be music to our ears. I personally couldn't think of a better scenario, I'd be giddy with either.

Those odds will change along the way but they are good indicator, nailed Habs 1st pick in the last 2 years. Last year Reinbacher and Leonard were tied at the end and there was a major shift in the odds 2 days before the draft in 2022 in favor of Slafkovsky (Wright was always the favorite until then, Slaf second).

There's only the 2nd and 5th overall available right now, so hope to see the other positon real soon.....Levshunov favorite over Demidov for 2nd overall
1718301141131.png

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Those odds will change along the way but they are good indicator, nailed Habs 1st pick in the last 2 years. Last year Reinbacher and Leonard were tied at the end and there was a major shift in the odds 2 days before the draft in 2022 in favor of Slafkovsky (Wright was always the favorite until then, Slaf second).

There's only the 2nd and 5th overall available right now, so hope to see the other positon real soon.....Levshunov favorite over Demidov for 2nd overall
View attachment 882224
We might all be guessing, but gambling companies know wayyyy more than us. They have to haha

Jul 6, 2016
Demidov is very skilled, but not really physically gifted. He will not beat NHL defenders with his straight-line speed or his strength retrieving pucks in the corner or the crease. He is a great dangler.

At the NHL level, will he be more Drouin, more Marner or more Kucherov, that is the question. I prefer Iginla or Lindstrom over him. I think those two will be much more effective in the playoffs.
The guy who already won 2 Stanley Cups in three Finals ? And he is among the best points getter in the whole league since years.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Demidov is very skilled, but not really physically gifted. He will not beat NHL defenders with his straight-line speed or his strength retrieving pucks in the corner or the crease. He is a great dangler.

At the NHL level, will he be more Drouin, more Marner or more Kucherov, that is the question. I prefer Iginla or Lindstrom over him. I think those two will be much more effective in the playoffs.
from what i've seen, i have way fewer questions about his willingness to engage physically on the boards than i do Sennecke, for example

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If say Demidov and Lindstrom did go in the top 4 and the Habs were looking to move down which teams would realistically be interested in possibly moving up for their choice of Silayev, Buium, Dickinson, Parekh, or other player @ 5 and how far would the Habs be looking to move down to?

I can't see Utah being interested in moving up 1 spot since they'd still get to choose from the 3 dmen left if they wanted to go D so they're likely content on staying @ 6.

Maybe the Sens would like to move up to 5 if they wanted to draft a dman if they see one of the dmen left being above the rest.

Seattle I'm not sure what they're looking for in this draft so can't say if they would be an option to move up to 5 or to just stay and take the BPA @ 8.

The Flames @ 9 would likely take Iginla if he were still there but haven't seen what their draft plan really is so maybe they'd like a potential stud dman.

The Devils already have a couple of very good young dmen in L Hughes and Nemec so not sure they'd want to move up to 5 for another dman.

The Sabres @ 11 already have Dahlin, Power, and Byram so can't really see them trading up to 5 for a dman.

The Flyers @ 12 might be interested in moving up for a dman maybe but we're now getting a bit too far down for me to consider moving the 5th unless it was really worth doing so for whatever that would be.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
from what i've seen, i have way fewer questions about his willingness to engage physically on the boards than i do Sennecke, for example
Sennecke engage on the boards all the time, one of the most agile with his hands to protect the puck and get off the walls with it.

Reactions: McGees and Tyson

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Sennecke engage on the boards all the time, one of the most agile with his hands to protect the puck and get off the walls with it.
i wasn't clear in my post. i meant to retrieve pucks from opposing D. Sennecke uses his stick and good body positioning to retrieve pucks, but i didn't see him lay too many hits in the corners, and i have seen it from Demidov.
and i like Sennecke - i'm not trying to knock him. he's smart in the way he approaches puck battles. i just haven't seen him try to go through anyone.

Reactions: SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
i wasn't clear in my post. i meant to retrieve pucks from opposing D. Sennecke uses his stick and good body positioning to retrieve pucks, but i didn't see him lay too many hits in the corners, and i have seen it from Demidov.
and i like Sennecke - i'm not trying to knock him. he's smart in the way he approaches puck battles. i just haven't seen him try to go through anyone.
Oh no, i know you’re not knocking him. I just remember him giving pretty hard hits in the playoffs. Definitely something he’ll get better at once he gets bigger, he is not shy of contacts.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017

View attachment 882224
I could be wrong but I thought Wright was the betting favourite all the way until midday of the draft. I sort of remember a few people freaking out on here. But yeah the betting odds seem to be a pretty good indicator

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I could be wrong but I thought Wright was the betting favourite all the way until midday of the draft. I sort of remember a few people freaking out on here. But yeah the betting odds seem to be a pretty good indicator

Wright was the favourite but slowly his odds dropped 2 weekds before the draft and those of Slaf went higher until they were almost tied and on the last day, Slafkovsky was the favourite and then, me included, went mad.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Where they would probably take Eiserman if available.

I think we're looking at a top 5 of Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom & Demidov, and in that order.
Eiserman ? from what i've read, he isn't the kind of Habs player at all. Right, the kid can put points, but isn't a team player. Doesn't fit with the culture the management try to install

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Eiserman ? from what i've read, he isn't the kind of Habs player at all. Right, the kid can put points, but isn't a team player. Doesn't fit with the culture the management try to install
I assume they had dinner with him at the Combine for a reason other than that no one else was available.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

View attachment 882224
I tend to respect betting odds much more than writer lists.. when money is on the line, the truth comes out.
If this holds, Lindstrom is ours.. if Columbus takes him I'd prefer Dickinson (LD) v Silayev (LD)

Reactions: Milhouse40

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Wright was the favourite but slowly his odds dropped 2 weekds before the draft and those of Slaf went higher until they were almost tied and on the last day, Slafkovsky was the favourite and then, me included, went mad.
A report after the draft came out about Wright interviewing poorly for several of the top teams. Montreal must have noticed something. Slafkovsky's interview, in comparison, was great.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Slaf didn't lunch with the Habs before being picked. . Those diners with the players mean absolutely nothing
Your attempted analogy is weak. Also, Slaf had dinner with the Habs at the draft , . . before being picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad