Confirmed with Link: Signing Connor Hughes 1 year (two way contract) Goalie Lausanne HC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Hughes says he was watched and contacted by a Habs scout during playoff finals. Then heard nothing until he was offered a contract two weeks ago.

He also says that Laval is perfect for him firstly because it's close from Montreal and secondly because his wife has family in Ottawa.

French version: https://www.blick.ch/fr/sport/hocke...tm_medium=social&utm_source=copy-to-clipboard

Really seems to be happy to get an opportunity and aware that he will have to earn his spot. Kent gave him no guarantee as far as position on the totem pole goes. Was already learning French in Lausanne.

Funny that his goalie coach is Huet and that just like Huet, he's coming to NA at 27.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Watching Lausanne in the playoffs I thought Hughes had really some great moments. Great reflexes. good puck awareness. I think my problem with him is that he moves a lot in front of his net. But he,s a big guy. Can't wait to see him play!

I don't know alot about goaltending, but when I see an overactive goalie, it makes me nervous.

Then again, I feel the same about bobrovsky so what do I know.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't know alot about goaltending, but when I see an overactive goalie, it makes me nervous.

Then again, I feel the same about bobrovsky so what do I know.
Frankly, to be honest, I thought that with Dobes too....and he's not doing too bad. Clearly we are not talking about Fowler type of goaltending. And also, he's 27 so frankly he's there as a stop gap for Dobes and Fowler.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Frankly, to be honest, I thought that with Dobes too....and he's not doing too bad. Clearly we are not talking about Fowler type of goaltending. And also, he's 27 so frankly he's there as a stop gap for Dobes and Fowler.
I also find that Dobes moves a bit too much. Hopefully they're working on this with him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I also find that Dobes moves a bit too much. Hopefully they're working on this with him.

Dobes reminds me of Fleury in the sense that both aren't technically sound the way Carey Price was by being square to the puck and efficient with his movement. Fleury at times will be out there swimming and flailing and somehow still make the save. I get the same vibe with Dobes.

Fowler is more along the Price style.

I don't know anything about Hughes' style, but I am very happy the Canadiens addressed the veteran goalie situation for Laval right away. And it's an NHL deal, meaning that if Monty or Primeau get hurt, Habs won't be forced to call Dobes up. They already have a NHL-contracted goalie to call up and continue to let Dobes cook in the AHL.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Welcome Connor Hughes
How is he ? Maybe they don't want to repeat the mistake what was happen to Primeau

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Found it interesting that Hughes has played with former Habs players/prospects in Bozon, Desharnais, Sekac, De la Rose and Diaz in the last 2 years alone.

I was hoping for someone in the AHL like Chris Driedger who has more experience and can also fill in should Monty/Primeau get injured, however he's still only 30 and after having a great year this season he likely wants an NHL job or to play a ton in the AHL to try and get back to the AHL. Aside from that, there aren't a lot of quality AHL guys available.

Given how Dobes ended the season, he will probably play a shit ton of games this year. So hopefully Hughes at worst can provide a good amount of quality starts in the 20-25 games he likely starts.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Found it interesting that Hughes has played with former Habs players/prospects in Bozon, Desharnais, Sekac, De la Rose and Diaz in the last 2 years alone.

I was hoping for someone in the AHL like Chris Driedger who has more experience and can also fill in should Monty/Primeau get injured, however he's still only 30 and after having a great year this season he likely wants an NHL job or to play a ton in the AHL to try and get back to the AHL. Aside from that, there aren't a lot of quality AHL guys available.

Given how Dobes ended the season, he will probably play a shit ton of games this year. So hopefully Hughes at worst can provide a good amount of quality starts in the 20-25 games he likely starts.

The last 3 years, he's been coached by David Aebischer and Cristobal Huet.

Reactions: viceroy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The last 3 years, he's been coached by David Aebischer and Cristobal Huet.

Honestly, aebischer used to look as clunky as f*** with Montreal.

Huet was pretty smooth movement wise though.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, aebischer used to look as clunky as f*** with Montreal.

Huet was pretty smooth movement wise though.

Me and my buddy coined the term 'Aebi' whenever a goalie would just lay flat on their stomach on the ice in a starfish.

That's all he did, man he was terrible.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Reinbacher Mixes it Up 7:01
Hughes Big Save 15:55

They only faced each other twice and the 1st time he was the backup. Not an overly tough SO but he's facing the worst offense in the league.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad