Value of: Sidney Crosby

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I think he wants to retire a Penguin. And if the Pens suck and miss playoffs again, I think he just retires.

Leave while he’s still good will help his legacy I think

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I obviously couldn’t stand him earlier in his career during peak Ovi vs Sid but as they’ve aged and I aged I’ve developed an appreciation for 87 and for the Caps/Pens rivalry. My opinion as a hockey fan is that Sid should never play in another jersey. The only way I see him moving is if the Pens nosedive and he decides he wants to spend his last few years on a contender chasing another Cup. Can’t see the Pens ever pulling a Stamkos with him. And it doesn’t hurt that he’s still an elite player, which is annoying as hell for the rest of us but should make extending him easy for the Pens to do.
I feel the same about Ovi

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I hope he leaves. He's still way too good to retire, and also way too good to waste his last few years on a declining team run by a shit for brains GM.

As for possible destinations.. I'd guess any of Boston, Vegas, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville.

Because Rob Blake is really a big f***ing smarty pants and not a pants on head f*** twit I wouldn't personally trust with a super soaker.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I hope he leaves. He's still way too good to retire, and also way too good to waste his last few years on a declining team run by a shit for brains GM.

As for possible destinations.. I'd guess any of Boston, Vegas, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville.
Judging by the moves made by Blake and Staios, I guess Dubas has some good company.

Crosby - McDavid - Draisaitl.

Yes please. For all the 1sts.
He'd never go there, if there's a team he would go to it'd be the Avalanche. Thank goodness for that.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
His value would be undeniable as a second line center, 200 foot player or pairing on 1st line. He would increase any teams cup chances, in the right situation. Amazing fit behind McDavid, but not going to happen. Colorado as second centre, Toronto behind Matthews. He can fit in an make an incredible impact.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
He basically can pick which team be wants to get a cup.

If he goes to any of

NYR
Vegas
Colorado
Carolina
Florida
Vancouver
Dallas

For starters they all instantly become cup favorites
Everyone but Vancouver I agree. I would easily put Edmonton over Vancouver here.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Significantly less than you'd think.

One of the greats, but a 37 year old, full NMC, 8.7 mill rental is not something teams are going to blow the farm for.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Significantly less than you'd think.

One of the greats, but a 37 year old, full NMC, 8.7 mill rental is not something teams are going to blow the farm for.
Well that's a given, but I am sure we could still fetch a sweet price, especially if he's signed and we retain. 1st, top prospect, young roster player. Imagine having him at a sweet price for 3-4 more years?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Well that's a given, but I am sure we could still fetch a sweet price, especially if he's signed and we retain. 1st, top prospect, young roster player. Imagine having him at a sweet price for 3-4 more years?
Those things are not both possible.

If he comes signed, he cannot be retained, or Pittsburgh would be retaining for the entire life of the extension as well.

Also, a 4 year extension on a guy who will be 38 years old when that contract kicks in and 42 when it ends is not exactly appealing.

1st, definitely.

Now, some people have different definitions of "top prospect" and "young roster player". If you could give an example of each that you think crosby would return. 1st+prospect+young player

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Those things are not both possible.

If he comes signed, he cannot be retained, or Pittsburgh would be retaining for the entire life of the extension as well.

Also, a 4 year extension on a guy who will be 38 years old when that contract kicks in and 42 when it ends is not exactly appealing.

1st, definitely.

Now, some people have different definitions of "top prospect" and "young roster player". If you could give an example of each that you think crosby would return. 1st+prospect+young player
He wont bring back what he used to bring but because who he is he would bring back a really good haul. I mean, it's pretty logical? Pens would be rebuilding, we don't care about retaining. He's the top active playoff performer in the NHL, nobody has more points then him in the playoffs that is still playing.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He wont bring back what he used to bring but because who he is he would bring back a really good haul. I mean, it's pretty logical? Pens would be rebuilding, we don't care about retaining. He's the top active playoff performer in the NHL, nobody has more points then him in the playoffs that is still playing.
Please answer the question.

How much would pittsburgh be retaining, and for how long?

What is your example of 1st+top prospect+young roster player?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I don't get why folks that have been a fan for as long as they have are so attached to him playing in Pittsburgh. Perhaps the other side of the brain hasn't had a say for them.

Sid would get a chance to pad his stats like so many youth get to with much, much better linemates elsewhere. And he would likely elongate his career by at least 2 seasons - likely 3+ by going somewhere as the #2 guy. SO MUCH pressure is put on him in Pittsburgh as THE GUY and, lately, it's gotten more and more severe. If he doesn't go 110% out there, we're losing the game. Why exert so much just to not even come close to the playoffs going forward?

Go compete, be relevant, pad the stats, be happy (since you love winning) - all the above. Staying in Pittsburgh makes almost no sense at this point.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Please answer the question.

How much would pittsburgh be retaining, and for how long?

What is your example of 1st+top prospect+young roster player?
I already said? 1st, top prospect, young roster player. I don't know the teams top prospects and obviously I am not saying the top prospects in the NHL, those teams aren't in a position for the playoffs. I have no idea what Dubas would be retaining...30%?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His value would be undeniable as a second line center, 200 foot player or pairing on 1st line. He would increase any teams cup chances, in the right situation. Amazing fit behind McDavid, but not going to happen. Colorado as second centre, Toronto behind Matthews. He can fit in an make an incredible impact.

He would play with McDavid if that ever happened, same as Wayne + Mario together in the Canada Cup.

They play together on the same line anyway in the summer according to MacKinnon and they destroy everyone including MacK's team in that Nova Scotia summer league thing they have going. According to MacKinnon his team barely can even get a hold of the puck lol.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I already said? 1st, top prospect, young roster player. I don't know the teams top prospects and obviously I am not saying the top prospects in the NHL, those teams aren't in a position for the playoffs. I have no idea what Dubas would be retaining...30%?
So like in terms of a range.

Are you talking top 10 prospects in hockey?
Are you talking 10-25 range?
25-50 range?
50-75 range?
75-100 range?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So like in terms of a range.

Are you talking top 10 prospects in hockey?
Are you talking 10-25 range?
25-50 range?
50-75 range?
75-100 range?
I am talking about teams already in the playoffs and looking to get way over. Colorado for example (don't know their prospects), probably the only team Crosby wants to play for besides Pens anyway.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sid isn't a 29 year old you are competing with 20 other clubs in free agency for. If he gets dealt, he will pick his spot and when it comes to extending, highly unlikely he'd want to move multiple times to close out his career. If he decides it's 1 of 3 teams he wants, I don't think an extension for another year or two will be that difficult to hammer out.

If you are suggesting that the Pens extend him for Stamkos or better money and retain a large chunk of like 1/3 to 1/2 of that, not sure a team would do that.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am talking about teams already in the playoffs and looking to get way over. Colorado for example (don't know their prospects), probably the only team Crosby wants to play for besides Pens anyway.
His childhood team is Montreal, but they are not close to competing for a Cup. Need to sort out their D and G first.

Would he entertain one of the other Metro clubs? Would Pitt send him to any of NYR, NYI, NJ, Car for example? The rest of the east TB, FLA, Bos, Tor. Tor, can't see Dubas even thinking of sending Sid there. TB/FLA minimal assets to send back the other way. Bos might be a maybe.

Rest of the west likely Dal or LV. Edm, don't see it. Van or Win... probably not.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Man it would be so weird seeing Sid with a different uniform on...I know he still has some left in the tank to go for another few playoff runs but sometimes people are just meant to stay with one team and I think Sid and Ovy will be last two players that plays for just one team honestly and I think its a great thing that has died out.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
His childhood team is Montreal, but they are not close to competing for a Cup. Need to sort out their D and G first.

Would he entertain one of the other Metro clubs? Would Pitt send him to any of NYR, NYI, NJ, Car for example? The rest of the east TB, FLA, Bos, Tor. Tor, can't see Dubas even thinking of sending Sid there. TB/FLA minimal assets to send back the other way. Bos might be a maybe.

Rest of the west likely Dal or LV. Edm, don't see it. Van or Win... probably not.
It probably wont happen and he re-signs here, but pretty sure he would only wanna play with Colorado.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As much as I would love to see Crosby play with Mcdavid or Mackinnon, I don't want to see him wearing another teams jersey. Hopefully he retires as a lifelong Penguin.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Let him come to Montreal. He grew up a Habs fan, his father played for the Habs organization, he can speak French, and he can finally lead the Habs back to glory.

Crosby-Suzuki down the middle would be a lot of fun to watch.

Habs have a nice bunch of defense prospects that could be used, along with draft picks. Let’s make it happen.
We're too far away from competing for this, we need another two years minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad