Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Stian Solberg to ELC (3 years)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think you can make a fair statement that Carlsson was rushed, as well as McTavish.

Edit - and I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say that his words don’t match his deeds on this.
With McTavish are you referring to his 9 game tryout in 21-22 or his first full season in 22-23? Because saying two players who produced at a rate above .5 PPG in the NHL in their rookie seasons were rushed is something that I cannot agree with

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
With McTavish are you referring to his 9 game tryout in 21-22 or his first full season in 22-23? Because saying two players who produced at a rate above .5 PPG in the NHL in their rookie seasons were rushed is something that I cannot agree with
I look at his frequent confusion as to where to go defensively, and taking bad penalties because he’s out of position as evidence otherwise. He was bad at faceoffs, and had (still has) garbage possession scores. There’s more to the game than scoring points.

There’s a difference between ready, not ready, and wtf were they thinking. I said that year that he needed to be in a lesser league.

Reactions: Kalv

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's interesting with Solberg. He's only 18, but in the World Championships he played like a man, nailed NHL players to the boards. This is why he went up like a rocket on the draft rankings.

So I don't think he needs to go back to Sweden, a year in the AHL and he's ready.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
It's interesting with Solberg. He's only 18, but in the World Championships he played like a man, nailed NHL players to the boards. This is why he went up like a rocket on the draft rankings.

So I don't think he needs to go back to Sweden, a year in the AHL and he's ready.
I rather he plays SHL then NHL over AHL. He doesnt need to play AHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Carlsson was absolutely not physically ready, and certainly not “overcooked”.
McTavish has fallen off dramatically in the second half of both seasons, and has been repeatedly injured. Not “overcooked”
Mintyukov had pretty poor possession numbers despite being sheltered. “Not overcooked”.
Zellweger spent a decent chunk of time in the AHL, but the season ticket holders I know don’t feel that his defensive play was impressive at that level, so he wasn’t “overcooked”.

“overcooking” means being held back until they’re more than ready. Go blow it up in the AHL like Getzlaf and Perry did. Regardless of whether or not you think that they’re ready, it’s inarguable that he’s not “overcooked” anyone.

I remember Regenda's situation as a rookie. Verbeek wanted him to stay with the NHL club after he was called up and Eakins thought differently. Eakins eventually won out. Regenda has been cooking in the AHL since then.

Reactions: Rooch and Ducks DVM

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
He will get top minutes in the AHL and we can control that. SHL not as much. I wouldn't be opposed to him in the AHL. He is already physically a beast. That said im not opposed to him in the SHL either.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He will get top minutes in the AHL and we can control that. SHL not as much. I wouldn't be opposed to him in the AHL. He is already physically a beast. That said im not opposed to him in the SHL either.

Just not confident with the coaching in the San Diego. Also, the SHL plays only 52 regular season games, which is 30 games fewer than the NHL and 16 games fewer than the AHL. For physical development, I'd prefer the SHL side of things as well.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just not confident with the coaching in the San Diego. Also, the SHL plays only 52 regular season games, which is 30 games fewer than the NHL and 16 games fewer than the AHL. For physical development, I'd prefer the SHL side of things as well.
Agreed. SHL is a better skating league as well in addition to a bigger ice surface. That can only help him.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Agreed. SHL is a better skating league as well in addition to a bigger ice surface. That can only help him.
I have no idea if this is correct but I would think that it would help to bring forwards over earlier to get used to the smaller ice (not having as much room to navigate/make plays) but that the opposite would be true for defensemen. That it would be easier to defend on smaller NA ice.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So do you think they'll put Solberg in the minors, and maybe call him up next season already? Or is a year or two in Sweden the best path for him? I don't know, he looks NHL ready, but he's only 18.

Solberg's gonna be even more dangerous when he adds more mass so the taller players can't shrug him off.
He'll end up in fights when he plays like that, but he knows. I heard boxing is part of his personal training.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wonder if the WHL becomes a serious option. Apparently Regina has some form of hope he’ll come and I could definitely see why the Ducks might perhaps want that.

It would feel like a downgrade in competition level for Solberg after playing in a men's league (Norway) and the WC. Then there's the defensive aspect; usually, there isn't much defensive structure in the CHL.

If Solberg comes over, then it should be in the AHL or NHL. But I'd prefer he develops his game in the SHL: higher competition level than the CHL, top men's tier league, fewer games to help improve physically, better roster support (because top teams rise from 2nd tier, HA, to 1st tier, SHL), no guessing on which games to miss if put on a Carlsson load mgmt program, etc... I don't trust our coaching staff at either level. Essentially, I'd rather choose quality over quantity (games played at CHL, AHL, and NHL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad