Sidney Crosby Top 5 player of all time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Undisputed best player of the 21st century, which now occupies close to 20% of the league's entire history. To add to that, the natural gap between NHLers will decrease as players get bigger, faster, and stronger, which makes his accomplishments all the more impressive. If he's not top 5 of all time now, he will be by the end of his career

NhlFan84

Dec 29, 2010
Wiki:

Messier is considered one of the greatest NHL players of all time.[2] He is second on the all-time career lists for playoff points (295) and regular season games played (1756), and is third for regular season points (1887). He is a six-time Stanley Cup champion—five with the Oilers and one with the Rangers—and is the only player to captain two different professional teams to championships.

Please just stop.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
1. Sid the Kid
POWER GAP
2. Gretsky
3. Super Mario
4. Orr
5. Howe

The rest is a coin flip

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay, in all honesty we need some objective thinking here. Let's all agree on one thing, and I think someone on TSN said it tonight (Craig Button?) that he can't see Crosby ever surpassing Gretzky, Orr or Lemieux. I think he left out Howe and then said he could see Crosby catching him or something. I am not so sure, because Crosby will be just 30 years old in August and have 12 seasons under his belt. Mr. Hockey played a TON of hockey from 30 years old and on. This would be everything after 1958 for him. So can Crosby top that? I really don't think he can because Howe was 3rd in scoring when he was 40 years old. He's going to have to have a heck of a time in his 30s to surpass Howe. So for me the top 4 are set in stone more or less with the 5th pick being up for grabs.

Sid has played in 12 seasons. Beliveau's first 12 seasons were 1953-'65. Hull's first 12 were 1957-'69. Rocket's first 12 were 1942-'1954. After that I don't think anyone else matches him for their first 12 seasons. Jagr started off slower, Lafleur started off slower than Crosby as well and his 12th season was 1983 which is a clear notch below what Crosby is now. Esposito started off too slow. Mikita? Just a bit slower than Sid and wasn't as strong after his 12th season either. All of Sakic, Yzerman, Schmidt, Trottier and such either declined a bit, or didn't hit the ground running like Crosby. So right now is it crazy to put him as a top 10 player of all-time? I mean, right now? For me I don't think it is, I think that is pretty rational.

So right now let's just focus on the Beliveau, Hull and Richard trio because they are the most common #5 guys. How do his first 12 seasons compare to theirs? I say they are all similar. Crosby is being talked in the same way these guys were when they played. Beliveau too won a Smythe in his 12th season. So for me right now he might not quite have the full career value of these three, but I think he is on pace to surpass them all because I think you can make a case that Crosby has the best first 12 years out of them.

The biggest question is moving forward from here. How does the second half of his career go? Beliveau won 4 more Cups after 1965 as captain and was routinely among the top players in the game while doing it. He too had someone that usually finished ahead of him in points (Hull, Mikita) that Crosby has (McDavid possibly from here on in) so they are similar there. Richard put in a good 3 elite more years and a few more great postseasons after his 12th year, so Crosby has his work cut out for him there. Hull bolted to the WHA after 15 years in the NHL and while you can give him a bit of credit since his last elite season in the NHL he still had 50 goals the point is that it hurt him a bit. Still, I don't think Crosby has surpassed the Golden Jet's career value.

When all is said and done it all depends on how well Crosby plays in his 30s. I personally think as long as his health holds up that he should be a unanimous #5 guy of all-time, but that it is still very hard to crack that top 4, and I don't think he does it.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
They dominated when they played compared to Crosby and still won. Crosby is a great player but he doesn't outshine other players by large enough margins to be considered all time great.Those guys played alot longer as well and honestly I think they were more skilled. Everyone today wants to say this player is better then so and so but really just because your the best now doesn't make you the best ever. Iv'e read people claiming whose better Mario or Crosby? To even ask that is a joke Mario was twice the player Crosby ever was. People love to pump current players and thats fine but in my opinion Sakic and Yzerman were better players. I watched those two and they just dominated like Crosby to me has never done.

again, most of those guys played in a 6 team league. They never played in a 31 (now 32 team league) with talent from all over the world. If you dropped Bealiveau into today's game, he would be a star, but not a legend. Today's players are far bigger, far better conditioned & all around better athletes. It's not even close. Sakic & Yzerman were great players, but don't even crack Top 20. The fact is, Sid is now Top 5 (#5 to be precise), but he's earned the right.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
again, most of those guys played in a 6 team league. They never played in a 31 (now 32 team league) with talent from all over the world. If you dropped Bealiveau into today's game, he would be a star, but not a legend. Today's players are far bigger, far better conditioned & all around better athletes. It's not even close. Sakic & Yzerman were great players, but don't even crack Top 20. The fact is, Sid is now Top 5 (#5 to be precise), but he's earned the right.

The fact is you see your opinion as a fact would immediately prompt me to consider another way of thinking.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Richard. Good luck trying not to sound historically ignorant replacing ANY of those 5 with Sidney Crosby or anyone else. That goes for anyone.

My opinion is that Bure flies by all of em. The FACT is Gretzky Lemieux Orr Howe and Richard.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Okay, in all honesty we need some objective thinking here. Let's all agree on one thing, and I think someone on TSN said it tonight (Craig Button?) that he can't see Crosby ever surpassing Gretzky, Orr or Lemieux. I think he left out Howe and then said he could see Crosby catching him or something. I am not so sure, because Crosby will be just 30 years old in August and have 12 seasons under his belt. Mr. Hockey played a TON of hockey from 30 years old and on. This would be everything after 1958 for him. So can Crosby top that? I really don't think he can because Howe was 3rd in scoring when he was 40 years old. He's going to have to have a heck of a time in his 30s to surpass Howe. So for me the top 4 are set in stone more or less with the 5th pick being up for grabs.

Sid has played in 12 seasons. Beliveau's first 12 seasons were 1953-'65. Hull's first 12 were 1957-'69. Rocket's first 12 were 1942-'1954. After that I don't think anyone else matches him for their first 12 seasons. Jagr started off slower, Lafleur started off slower than Crosby as well and his 12th season was 1983 which is a clear notch below what Crosby is now. Esposito started off too slow. Mikita? Just a bit slower than Sid and wasn't as strong after his 12th season either. All of Sakic, Yzerman, Schmidt, Trottier and such either declined a bit, or didn't hit the ground running like Crosby. So right now is it crazy to put him as a top 10 player of all-time? I mean, right now? For me I don't think it is, I think that is pretty rational.

So right now let's just focus on the Beliveau, Hull and Richard trio because they are the most common #5 guys. How do his first 12 seasons compare to theirs? I say they are all similar. Crosby is being talked in the same way these guys were when they played. Beliveau too won a Smythe in his 12th season. So for me right now he might not quite have the full career value of these three, but I think he is on pace to surpass them all because I think you can make a case that Crosby has the best first 12 years out of them.

The biggest question is moving forward from here. How does the second half of his career go? Beliveau won 4 more Cups after 1965 as captain and was routinely among the top players in the game while doing it. He too had someone that usually finished ahead of him in points (Hull, Mikita) that Crosby has (McDavid possibly from here on in) so they are similar there. Richard put in a good 3 elite more years and a few more great postseasons after his 12th year, so Crosby has his work cut out for him there. Hull bolted to the WHA after 15 years in the NHL and while you can give him a bit of credit since his last elite season in the NHL he still had 50 goals the point is that it hurt him a bit. Still, I don't think Crosby has surpassed the Golden Jet's career value.

When all is said and done it all depends on how well Crosby plays in his 30s. I personally think as long as his health holds up that he should be a unanimous #5 guy of all-time, but that it is still very hard to crack that top 4, and I don't think he does it.

He could crack the Top 4, but career point stats in the second dead puck era will make that difficult. That said, he does have more Cups than Mario & broke Mario's franchise record for career points in the Stanley Cup Final. He could break Mario's franchise record for most points, but he's still a few hundred points away & we all know his concussion history. That said, as a Pens fan, we have been truly blessed with having two of the greatest players ever to play who also wear a Penguin jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad