Should the NHL consider taking a ring off the Cup and adding a ring with all HHOFers

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, I don't think that is a good idea, keep the Cup and HoF different.

However, I do think there might be a better solution for the retired bands, maybe they could make a pedestal at the HoF that the Cup sits on that the retired bands get moved onto once they're done. That way, they're all still a part of the overall display, even if the top section is what is taken around to be awarded and displayed away from the HoF.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
So you want to put players names on the cup who have never won it? How does that work, the players aren't even going to touch the thing if they haven't won it. There is a hall with some plaques in it if you want to check out hall of famers.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
does anybody know what happens to the rings taken off?
are they on display?

I'm guessing only 1 or 2 have been removed

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sad how SO many hockey fans value talent over winning.
The players on the Cup, of which many are HHOFers, are Cup winners. The greatest players led their teams to those Cup wins. Other greats, who couldn’t lead their clubs to a Cup shouldn’t be on it. They are a tier below.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
All the names of Hall of Famers?

Eventually, teams and their players are removed and a new ring is added, so all players that win the Cup will eventually have their names removed from it.

Hall of Famers, regardless of winning a Cup or not, would have their name engraved on the Cup forever. I know this is bucking tradition, but I think it would be pretty cool to truly immortalize the greats of the game on the best trophy in sports.

Like I said, I get if some people aren’t down with this idea but if the NHL did it would you be OK with it?
Hall of fame has nothing to do with winning the cup. Two separate things.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
All the names of Hall of Famers?

Eventually, teams and their players are removed and a new ring is added, so all players that win the Cup will eventually have their names removed from it.

Hall of Famers, regardless of winning a Cup or not, would have their name engraved on the Cup forever. I know this is bucking tradition, but I think it would be pretty cool to truly immortalize the greats of the game on the best trophy in sports.

Like I said, I get if some people aren’t down with this idea but if the NHL did it would you be OK with it?

Please, for the love of God, don't "..." the subject line just to get people to actually open your thread to see what the f*** you want to talk about.

If your topic is legitimately interesting, it doesn't need to hide.

Edited.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Just put the old rings on a second cup they slowly build up till its a certain size and then another and another keep at hhof

But my answer is no if you do it as is it will still be the guys that are winning its legends on it.
No way, just keep adding rings indefinitely. It will be comically large at some point.

I just hope they come up with some life extension tech so in 3024 I can watch the cup fall over and crush an entire team.

Reactions: Roomtemperature

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Interesting idea, but I like that the cup celebrates the team effort, rather than the individual. We have plenty of awards for that, awards that the hard-working grinders can never reach. They can find a niche to fill on a cup-winning team though, and become household names in the winning city.

I get that you wouldn't be losing that in your proposal, but it turns the cup into a wider celebration of hockey, in a sense a portable hall of fame. It's not a bad idea, but I'd keep it as is, the pinnacle of team effort in the NHL.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Your name does not belong on the cup if you didn't win it. The Hall of Fame is prestigious enough.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
No. The HOF and the Stanley Cup are two distinct honours. Individual success can't compensate/replace team success, nor vice versa.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
No.

In some ways, I think it'd be kinda cool, if rather than bending the retired rings flat, they just kept adding to the original trophy at the HHoF. If nobody's gonna lift it, who cares how big it gets. Visualizing it being two stories tall with a ramp around it lol.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
They should consider it, realize it’s dumb as f***, and then not do it. “Yo, Siri, should I irl adopt a cheetah? What’s that? Neurology centers nearby? Siri you goof!”

• Haha
Reactions: Guttersniped

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
This. It's contrary to what hockey is about (winning a championship) to put names of people that have never won on there. Leave those people in the HHOF or the IIHF HOF and leave the winners where they belong. I'm guessing OP wants non-winners on there, since Cup winners are already gratified?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad