Should the NHL consider taking a ring off the Cup and adding a ring with all HHOFers

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
All the names of Hall of Famers?

Eventually, teams and their players are removed and a new ring is added, so all players that win the Cup will eventually have their names removed from it.

Hall of Famers, regardless of winning a Cup or not, would have their name engraved on the Cup forever. I know this is bucking tradition, but I think it would be pretty cool to truly immortalize the greats of the game on the best trophy in sports.

Like I said, I get if some people aren’t down with this idea but if the NHL did it would you be OK with it?

• Wow
Reactions: Taluss and Fatass

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Eventually, teams and their players are removed and a new ring is added, so all players that win the Cup will eventually have their names removed from it.

Hall of Famers, regardless of winning a Cup or not, would have their name engraved on the Cup forever. I know this is bucking tradition, but I think it would be pretty cool to truly immortalize the greats of the game on the best trophy in sports.

Like I said, I get if some people aren’t down with this idea but if the NHL did it would you be OK with it?
Just put the old rings on a second cup they slowly build up till its a certain size and then another and another keep at hhof

But my answer is no if you do it as is it will still be the guys that are winning its legends on it.

rogking65

May 13, 2016

why would anyone think this is a good idea? You take a trophy that is awarded to the championship team and put names of some players who never won it on same trophy. Sounds logical

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Nope. And I'd bet the players who didn't win the cup would feel uncomfortable at the idea too.

Most hockey players have too much integrity to want the spotlight despite not having earned it.

Yeah, probably so.

If they did that from the beginning none of us would blink an eye and probably think that was pretty cool.

But, they didn’t and maybe it is a bad idea now.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Having the ultimate team trophy turned into a platform for individuals won't work.

I don’t think it would be a platform for individuals. Heck, teams have petitioned the NHL to get names of people engraved on the Cup that didn’t play one game. Detroit did it with Konstantinov.

Massage therapists have their names on the Cup.

I do get that people aren’t down with my idea however let’s not fool ourselves that some guy that rubbed a players thighs is so greatly deserving of that honor.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

No

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think it would be a platform for individuals. Heck, teams have petitioned the NHL to get names of people engraved on the Cup that didn’t play one game. Detroit did it with Konstantinov.

Massage therapists have their names on the Cup.

I do get that people aren’t down with my idea however let’s not fool ourselves that some guy that rubbed a players thighs is so greatly deserving of that honor.

When did a massage therapist get their name on the Cup?

This whataboutism doesn’t make your bad idea any less bad but I don’t think that actually happened.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

What makes the Stanley Cup so special is you have to earn your way on to it, and the only way to do that is by winning the championship.

Marcel Dionne was a marvellous player and a well-deserved Hockey Hall of Fame. But he didn't win the Stanley Cup so there's no way his name should be on there. You have to earn it, and you earn it by winning it.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The Hall of Fame and the Stanley Cup are two vastly different things and both are earned in entirely different ways.

You could be the greatest player ever and if you never earned/won it, your name does NOT belong on it. Fight me.

What they could consider doing is to have it also serve a purpose of a challenge cup like how the tradition started and have anyone inducted into the HHOF has a chance to win it in a HHOF best of series and totally junk or pair down the yearly All-Star Game in place of it. Rules, details and such can be figured out by folks far smarter than I on that one. Then you can have a special ring just for that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad