Proposal: Should Rangers trade one of Laf/Kakko for a cup run ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The sooner they realize it, the better, but they have two upcoming busts on their hands.

Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status.

However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.

The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way.

Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?

Reactions: Devonator

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
The sooner they realize it, the better, but they have two upcoming busts on their hands.

Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status.

However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.

The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way.

Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?
So if they are busts what team will give a significant piece in return? If they finally breakout the Rangers sold them cheap and will be talked about like Seguin trade for years

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
So if they are busts what team will give a significant piece in return? If they finally breakout the Rangers sold them cheap and will be talked about like Seguin trade for years
Except Seguin was traded for other reasons if I recall correctly. He had 67 points in his 2nd season. Neither Laf or Kakko are putting up anywhere close to those numbers so I have my doubts if we have another Seguin specifically on our hands. I probably wouldn't trade them though, you'd just be selling low.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
They are not busts yet as it’s too early to declare, but they are moving in that direction. Their trade value is still very high hence why Rangers can pick up integral parts for the cup run

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Too early to give up on either of these 2 highly rated prospects! The Rangers are fine right now....and these 2 could become huge for them down the line. No way do you trade them now unless it is for a incredible offer.
I would easily trade Kakko for Chychrun. He’s a top 2 LHD on a great contract that Rangers desperately need

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Trade a top 2 pick ... who hasn't even had a chance to establish themselves.....

The team trading for one of those young players would have to be paying a boatload based on their potential and not what they're doing now AKA makes no sense.

AKA NO

Reactions: Anthony5967

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Since kakko plays in the top 6, he’s a pretty integral part of the team.
I’m really not worried about either guy tbh.
They’ve both improved, but they’re numbers will suffer as long as neither gets any substantial PP time.
This has all been covered to the 10th degree so there’s no point in even addressing this ridiculous post any further.
If the rangers want to add at the TDL, they have plenty of assets to do so without including LaF/kakko which would be dumb...... the end.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would easily trade Kakko for Chychrun. He’s a top 2 LHD on a great contract that Rangers desperately need
Lindgren-Fox is just fine

lindgren makes Fox a better hockey player. He gets so underrated around here it’s ridiculous.
Chycrun while very good hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire, and there’s no guarantee chycrun has the same chemistry with Fox that lindy does.
they go way back together

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I have read on many occasions Rangers fans saying he’s dragging down any top line he’s on. He plays 16 to 20 minutes on many nights and his production is abysmal
Yea.... that’s not even close to right.
Lindgren moves the puck fine. He’s really not meant to be a point producer

Reactions: UnSandvich

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Lindgren-Fox is just fine

lindgren makes Fox a better hockey player. He gets so underrated around here it’s ridiculous.
Chycrun while very good hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire, and there’s no guarantee chycrun has the same chemistry with Fox that lindy does.
they go way back together
Chychrun plays for the worst team in the NHL and looks pretty damn good on it, even if he’s not on a pair with Fox, imagine him in a top 4 for NYR.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Chychrun plays for the worst team in the NHL and looks pretty damn good on it, even if he’s not on a pair with Fox, imagine him in a top 4 for NYR.
If NYR got him, he’d likely run with trouba on 2nd pair.
But it’s not like he’s be on our 1PP. Solid player, and I’d love to have him but not for the cost it would take. Rangers have more pressing issues

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I have read on many occasions Rangers fans saying he’s dragging down any top line he’s on. He plays 16 to 20 minutes on many nights and his production is abysmal
Kakko has had some production/chemistry problems since being moved up with Kreids/Zibby.
He defers to pass way too much to the point of it being annoying.
But they both have gotten better every year.
It’s tough because both are used to play heavy minutes with lots of PP time. Now, especially in lafs case, they don’t have that yet.
LaF also needs to work on his skating a bit this coming offseason. He needs to get himself that extra second or 2 to let that beautiful wrister go.

nyr will keep both until they are at least 23. They are the 2 highest picks they’ve had in almost a century. They have too much vested interest in them currently and for the future

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Rags are not a cup contender. At least 4 eastern teams are better than them. 3 of them by a lot.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

If you really believe trading one of Laf/Kakko gets you over the hurdle for the cup than that's an easy yes.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I would give Kakko another 2/3 years and Lafreniere another 4/5 years.

Kakko is playing well and improved his overall game massively. His points will come.

Lafreniere is in a very tough spot with Kreider and Panarin in front of him for the next 4 years at least so he may be shifted to RW to break into that top 6. Assuming Kravtsov is traded.

These kids need time and no one is giving them that.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Top 4 D - Ben Chiarot (50% retained)
Top 6 RW - Tyler Toffoli
+ Ryan Poehling
+ 3rd Rd pick 2022

for

Lafreniere

(NYR wouldn't go for it.....but it meets the parameters of the OP)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad