Should Johnny Gaudreau be inducted into the HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If he did not pass away and retired today for personal reasons, most people would say his resume does not make him a sure thing HHOF candidate. They would not be wrong, but I think you have to ask yourself, what values do you think the hockey world should celebrate? Is empathy or doing the right thing one of them? Along with the fact that a HHOF is purely subjective (not objective), I don't think it would be unreasonable to put him in the HHOF.

This isn't the same as saying that if a 4th liner passes away tomorrow, they should put a 4th liner in just to do something nice for his family, friends, and colleagues. Gaudreau was a legitimate superstar for most of his career. I think there is enough accomplishment there with Gaudreau that you can overlook the gap between what he has done so far and what he would need to do to get in, and put him in because it's the right thing to do in the situation. Basically, had he not passed away there is a reasonable enough chance that he may have bridged that gap. He might not have bridged it, but he could have. For the sake of doing what is right and showing empathy to his family, friends, and colleagues, they should put him in.

You have to also take into account what values you want the HHOF to represent. Some people are going to take a hardline stance that is he shouldn't get in because he didn't do enough, and by putting him in they taint the requirements. My answer to that would be that HHOF Inductions are subjective, there is not an objective criteria that a player has to meet. In this scenario, the empathetic thing to do would be to put him in the HHOF. Same deal with Calgary and Columbus retiring his number.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What is HoF about his career? A week ago, is this question being asked? Yes, it's all very sad, but the only reason he'd be there is because he was randomly killed on some road late at night in a car accident. There's nothing overly impressive about his NHL career.

If the Jackets want to do something(even though he was probably a little underwhelming in his time there, if this question is being asked a week ago), and if the Flames want to do something, that's fine. League recognition with some yearly award or trophy or whatever, might make some sense.

ghostingtaro

Nov 2, 2013
at his prime he was in the top 5 in the nhl, deserves an honourable mention but shouldnt be in the hhof

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Not the HHOF. Id like to see teh Bj's and even Flames retire his number and maybe rename the Lady Bing after him if we end up updating all the trophies one day.

Also, yes, this was an inappropriate thread to already talk about 24 hours after his death. Instead of honoring hm, were now talking about how his on ice career was not good enough.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Put a memorial for him in the Hall, and retire his number in Columbus and Calgary.

I would stop short of outright inducting him as a player into the HoF.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He won't be inducted, but I think they will have some other way of honouring him in the HHOF.

Regardless his number will no doubt be retired by the Flames and likely the Blue Jackets.

Last edited:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
1000 career points isn't a HHOF career.
1000 points isn't a lock at all.

Just in the last 20 years the following are 1000 point players that aren't in.

Elias
Witney
Backstrom
Staal

Spezza and Kessel have over 990 and aren't getting in either.

You really need to hit 1300 to be a slam dunk without major awards.
Elias had 5 all star appearances
Whitney had 0
Backstrom had 1
Staal had 6
Spezza had 2
Kessel had 2

Gaudreau had 7, of the guys you listed he has the highest point season and 11th in the last 20 years with only 6 guys having a higher point total in a single season.

And honestly 2-3 of them will probably get in.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Elias had 5 all star appearances
Whitney had 0
Backstrom had 1
Staal had 6
Spezza had 2
Kessel had 2

Gaudreau had 7, of the guys you listed he has the highest point season and 11th in the last 20 years with only 6 guys having a higher point total in a single season.

And honestly 2-3 of them will probably get in.
All star game means nothing.

All star team appearances
Gaudreau- 1x 1st AS
Elias - 1x 1st AS
Staal - 1x 2nd AS
Kessel, Spezza, Backstrom- nothing

None of these guys are HHoFers.

Gaudreau likely gets in because of what happened, but he wasn't on the trajectory to be in.

Reactions: iamjs

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
All star game means nothing.

All star team appearances
Gaudreau- 1x 1st AS
Elias - 1x 1st AS
Staal - 1x 2nd AS
Kessel, Spezza, Backstrom- nothing

None of these guys are HHoFers.

Gaudreau likely gets in because of what happened, but he wasn't on the trajectory to be in.

Disagree. Elias deserves to be and I think he will eventually. Wouldn’t be surprised if Backstrom is either.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
What is HoF about his career? A week ago, is this question being asked? Yes, it's all very sad, but the only reason he'd be there is because he was randomly killed on some road late at night in a car accident. There's nothing overly impressive about his NHL career.

If the Jackets want to do something(even though he was probably a little underwhelming in his time there, if this question is being asked a week ago), and if the Flames want to do something, that's fine. League recognition with some yearly award or trophy or whatever, might make some sense.

I disagree that there's nothing overly impressive about his NHL career.

I don't think he has the high-level consistency or longevity to be a Hall of Famer, but the guy was top five in Hart voting twice in the best League in the world. He scored 115 points and was +64 one year. At his best, he was one of the best in the world and well above average.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Only if his current contributions warrant it, which I don't believe it has. I think HHOF is too sacred to let just anyone in, whether it be forced retirement from injury or health. Or even death.

I don't like this thread because it makes me feel bad for being honest. What happen to Johnny hockey and his brother is tragic and my hearts go out to his family.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
A 30-year old PPG winger who would have continued to be roughly a PPG winger the rest of his career had he not died, and who never missed games due to injury, and who was about to get to play with one of two young ascendant centres, who would have finished with anywhere between 1000-1200 points depending how long he played.

Never mind his game is one of the most aesthetically beautiful you’ll ever see in the history of hockey.

He did it all at 5 ft 9 and a buck 80 if he was lucky.

That guy’s a Hall of Famer if he isn’t cut down by a drunk driver who was so shitfaced he thought “5 or 6 beers” was a good answer to give to the cops.

The manner of his death, frankly, makes him automatic.

TLDR Yes, Johnny Gaudreau is a Hall of Famer. Just ask anyone who ever played against him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate this question because my answer is no, but I also feel this is super inappropriate to ask at this time.
My thoughts exactly.
The American Hockey Hall of Fame I could definitely see. Hes one of the most accomplished USA players when representing internationally
For sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he's part of the next class to get in. It's usually announced early in September.

They may feel it's too soon and too early in the grieving process with this only happening 10 or so days before. I could definitely see him going in next year though.

And I do think both teams should retire his number.

Reactions: SI90

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You don't have to induct him as a player. The Hockey Hall of Fame is also a museum, and his jersey should absolutely be in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad