Rumor: Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but then do you just call the teams with the far and away best goalies in the world ‘unlucky’?

Since it’s better for your team to NOT have the best goalie in the world? According to your argument here, that’s what you’re saying.

Rags would rather have a ‘decent’ goalie than the best in the world.

Don’t you see how that’s a problem? The owners and the NHLPA need to come to the table to fix this. Having the best goalie in the world on your team should be an advantage, not a disadvantage.
GMs should realize that you shouldn’t pay absurd prices when having a great goalie isn’t a recipe for success. Having really good skaters win you cups. If GMs are going to bomb their team going all in for a goalie of all things then that’s on them for being stupid gms

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
If the Rangers sign him to a $12.9M AAV they are idiots.

You let him walk if he demands that. You think any other team has the realistic cap space to sign him for that? Maybe, but I guarantee you one thing, that team will not be a legit Stanley cup contender.

Goalies are streaky. You could sign your whole tandem for $12.9M or less.

Reactions: Ail

Strangle

May 4, 2009
GMs should realize that you shouldn’t pay absurd prices when having a great goalie isn’t a recipe for success. Having really good skaters win you cups. If GMs are going to bomb their team going all in for a goalie of all things then that’s on them for being stupid gms

I think you’re glossing over the point I’m making.

I’ll try to be more clear:

Having the best goalie in the world should be an advantage to your team, but it seems it’s a disadvantage. Hockey games should be valued by the on-ice performance of the players and the results that follow. Not by contracts.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

You let him walk if he demands that. You think any other team has the realistic cap space to sign him for that? Maybe, but I guarantee you one thing, that team will not be a legit Stanley cup contender.

Then they really need to trade him now. You can’t go into a contract year with a lame duck like him.

And given that they’ve only gotten as far as they have because of Shesterkin, that pretty much tanks next season as a Cup year with a sundowning roster. Tough scene.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Someone will pay it if he goes UFA next year.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I cant stress this enough. I don't give a flying f*(!( what Carey Price got. I don't care about the precedent for percentages. Drury didn't sign those contracts and is under no obligation to make the same mistake they did. If you want 13m go find someone else to give it to you. This team shouldn't go north of 10m. I could see him getting 10m in one of these markets with no state tax who swear it's no advantage and nothing that needs to be addressed though. So fing be it. It's too much for a goalie. If it's time to move on, make the hard choice and move on.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think you’re glossing over the point I’m making.

I’ll try to be more clear:

Having the best goalie in the world should be an advantage to your team, but it seems it’s a disadvantage. Hockey games should be valued by the on-ice performance of the players and the results that follow. Not by contracts.
My point is a decent goalie can do the ultimate job a great goalie can do.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

Marner out, Shesterkin in.

Would the Leafs be better?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think by percentage of cap hit, this number still eclipses both price and lundqvist.

Edit: I just realized that they are basing it on their projection for next year. Based on that 92 million figure, I think the percentage of cap hit is right in line with price, and I wonder if thats exactly what they are looking at.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Perfect example of how the Stats Led Generation has gone bonkers. The greatest athletes of all-time have always been judged on ONE ACCOMPLISHMENT. Winning Championships.

We now have a nice chunk of sports fans who argue for acceptance into the Greatest of All-Time category without earning the key component. To the extent, many fans actually read stats more than they actually watch games now.
Osgood > Hasek confirmed

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Surprised no one has mentioned the quasi-retirement of Benoit Allaire here yet. With the greatest goalie coach of all time (the guy who keeps turning Rangers' 7th round picks into Vezina winners) no longer in that role, I would have to use the last year of this deal to get the biggest sample size of Igor's play without him.

Mind you, I love Igor. I'm just saying the smart move is to wait until next offseason with him, IMO.

Rangers went down this road with Lundqvist and they couldn’t get over the top because paying a goalie that much of the cap requires you to be perfect with every other contract, and that’s really hard to do.
I see this narrative more frequently lately and politely disagree. The bags of cash wasted on aging stars who proceeded to become 40-point players like Nash and Richards was far more dooming to NYR.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Goalies have much less value than skaters. The best goalies don’t deserve anything over 7 million IMO. Gone are the days that great goalies win cups. If your skaters are good enough you can win a cup with a decent goalie.
The same could be said for forward or D though. We just saw Florida beat the Oilers, and the Panthers had the top marquee goalie while the Oilers had the edge in top forwards

Imo you need elite talent to win it all. How it is distributed doesn't matter that much

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The same could be said for forward or D though. We just saw Florida beat the Oilers, and the Panthers had the top marquee goalie while the Oilers had the edge in top forwards
The Oilers had arguably one of the worst goalies in the playoffs and went all the way to game 7 in the playoffs. Panthers top marquee goalie got blown out 2 games while the Oilers pretty much lost because McDavid and Draisaitl were injured and out of gas. Oilers didn't lose due to goaltending. You can argue they lost because their depth didn't pull through.

The days of Lundqvist, Quick, and Price are gone. The top marquee goalie isn't nearly as valuable as they were in the past and the playoffs prove it.

Reactions: Ail

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers had arguably one of the worst goalies in the playoffs and went all the way to game 7 in the playoffs. Panthers top marquee goalie got blown out 2 games while the Oilers pretty much lost because McDavid and Draisaitl were injured and out of gas. Oilers didn't lose due to goaltending. You can argue they lost because their depth didn't pull through.
It's awfully convenient when goalies get called interchangeable when they have a few bad performances and yet when forwards and Dmen go through that it is considered normal, and every excuse is given.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's awfully convenient when goalies get called interchangeable when they have a few bad performances and yet when forwards and Dmen go through that it is considered normal, and every excuse is given.
Look at the Rangers they have a very good goalie and their team is nothing with him.

Great goalies are always going to be less valuable than good forwards. Goalies are voodoo for a reason and are highly volatile. The sooner you come to terms with it the more you will understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00