Rumor: Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
@DistantThunderRep
Looks like a player In a popular market on a contending (president trophy winning) team is looking for a contract at 14%

Wonder where he got that number?????

Now I don’t know that the goalie market supports that any more. But I guess NY isn’t a good market. Or they have bad leadership.

Saros is signing for 7.74.
Igor’s looking for 12.9.

Nothing to do with taxes. The Finnish guy just loves warm weather and country music
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Igor is younger, had just put up 3 of best playoffs with the highest sv pct in history, his agent is aiming for the moon and why would any player start negotiations with the highest number? How many holes in your wall will you punch when he doesn't get that 14%??? The Weeping Wonder, Legion34 should send Igor's agent the Tax Calculator you use!

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Igor is younger, had just put up 3 of best playoffs with the highest sv pct in history, his agent is aiming for the moon and why would any player start negotiations with the highest number? How many holes in your wall will you punch when he doesn't get that 14%??? The Weeping Wonder, Legion34 should send Igor's agent the Tax Calculator you use!

Hahaha looks like he already has the calculator that all NHL players in high tax markets use.

Because he is asking for the industry standard that is openly known. Acknowledged and used.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
When Habs signed Carey Price to his huge contract - as habs fan I had absolutely no issue with it.

I had full faith Price would be great in playoffs when we needed him, and continue to be strong, reliable and consistent in the regular season.

Do Ranger fans feel as good about Shesterkin? From the outside looking in I'm thinking no, a lot riskier, but I don't watch him as closely.

I know with Price injuries happened - but you can't really predict those.

If this was Henrik during his prime - same idea, you do whatever it takes to tie him down.
Watching this postseason, there's no specific reason to have any concern for Shesterkin with regards to what he has shown thus far and how it projects going forward. He carried them hard the last two rounds. There isn't a better goalie in the world right now.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The guy is incredible, best in the league. But I’m not comfortable paying any goalie that much. Goalies are voodoo and Shesterkin himself has only been a .915 the past couple seasons. At $13m, you need him to be the very best all the time.
I think goalies being "voodoo" is a bit of a myth. Their outcomes are just hyper-polarized. The big pad era allowed more meh goalies to post big seasons in terms of their save %, but the shrunken pads have really lead to the good goalies forcing themselves to stand out and placed a renewed premium on the position's importance. In the big pad era, I would say don't pay a goalie because you'd be more likely to get a random backup/callup to get hot, but these days you either need a great goaltender or a really strong defensive system with big/mobile DMen 1-6, to compensate for the lack of one.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The smart move would be to not give it to him and cut him loose, but NYR will probably cave to his demands.

Even with the Panthers winning the Cup, they still would’ve been better off with a cheaper goalie between the pipes than Bobrovsky because he only provided league average save% during their Cup run. That isn’t worth $10M+.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
He deserves it just like Hank did. Thing is, Hanks contract was a detriment to the team. Unless the cap is gonna shoot up in the near future Im not a fan of your goalie being the highest paid on the team.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think goalies being "voodoo" is a bit of a myth. Their outcomes are just hyper-polarized. The big pad era allowed more meh goalies to post big seasons in terms of their save %, but the shrunken pads have really lead to the good goalies forcing themselves to stand out and placed a renewed premium on the position's importance. In the big pad era, I would say don't pay a goalie because you'd be more likely to get a random backup/callup to get hot, but these days you either need a great goaltender or a really strong defensive system with big/mobile DMen 1-6, to compensate for the lack of one.

I don’t think goalies age predictably and they’re less consistent than forwards due to the nature of their position. The best goalie on the planet will give you a .925 one season and a .915 the next. There just don’t seem to be all that many giant goalie contracts that don’t turn toxic.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's way too much for a goalie who always seems tired and isn't consistent enough through the last 2 regular seasons when it comes to being elite. I'm not justifying 14 or so percent of the cap on Igor being a playoff stud when the rest of the team runs out of gas or decides to play open hockey.

The issue with the cap is that this is clearly over long term. In 2 years, Rangers will have no Panarin. Kreider will be finishing his career. Zibanejad will be worse. I don't see the fire power with prospects to keep this team deep in the playoffs. Obviously, the team will sign free agents and moves will be made, but Investing 7 years with a high cap to a goalie just turning 30 doesn't seem very smart.

You can't just pay him what he wants. Even with a league min goalie. That's too much invested when the team will need to go big fish hunting to continue being competitive.

The way he pushes off his skates to get across while extending his legs just screams groin injuries to me. So I am a bit worried with a long term contract as Igor ages. (No, I can't predict the future so clearly this is just my opinion here)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why is that a high number? Elite forwards are asking for numbers like this. The fact that this is more than previous goalies got is also a very disingenuous point. Salaries have gone up and up and are shooting up more this year and will shoot up more in the coming years. It's not a lot to ask for Shesterkin to get more than what Price asked for in a different cap environment

If you think it's because goaltending is just not worth money or that they are just a product of defense, you're just wrong

If the Rangers won't pay in this range then someone else will.

Reactions: NVious

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I would have said its too high but then you have bob winning the cup with a 10M cap hit and its like.. maybe you need to pay goalies more than you do a winger.

Panarin, love this guy, is probably no necessary in NY.

Reactions: NVious

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
A18zsB4.png
Perfect example of how the Stats Led Generation has gone bonkers. The greatest athletes of all-time have always been judged on ONE ACCOMPLISHMENT. Winning Championships.

We now have a nice chunk of sports fans who argue for acceptance into the Greatest of All-Time category without earning the key component. To the extent, many fans actually read stats more than they actually watch games now.

Reactions: TKB

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

The gulp may be even larger than you imagine with The Post having been told that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract under which the goaltender would start with 14 percent of the cap, which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M under an expected $92M cap for 2025-26.

The cap hit would remain at $12.9M through the contract while the percentage would decline as the cap is expected to increase.

But that number seems untenable on a deal that would likely be seven or eight years and take Shesterkin — who has had two very uneven regular seasons following his 2021-22 Vezina — to age 36 or 37.

In fact, I’d suggest it would be untenable for the Rangers, GM Chris Drury and the hierarchy to enter the season with Shesterkin as a pending free agent.

This is something that needs to get done before the season.

If the goaltender’s camp is not amenable to that, the Rangers will have to investigate trade opportunities.
The Rangers are too close to a cup to Trade Shersterkin. Unless the Rangers collapse in the regular season trading him isn't an option.Sometimes you have to accept that you are going to lose someone on their walk year.

MWagg72

May 9, 2021
When did it become that having the best players in the league at their position was a detriment to team success?

The league really needs to look at their cap situation and fix it.

Shesterkin should be paid as the highest paid goalie in the world, but it also shouldn’t restrict the entire team in order to do it
It's always been about percentage of the cap when signing stars. Cap goes up, so does the cost of signing star players. It's up to the GMs to decide if it's worth allocating that percentage to one player or spreading it around multiple less skilled players.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It's always been about percentage of the cap when signing stars. Cap goes up, so does the cost of signing star players. It's up to the GMs to decide if it's worth allocating that percentage to one player or spreading it around multiple less skilled players.

But we already know it’s objectively not worth it.

No team has won a cup with someone taking up 14% of the cap. Every high priced contract that has won a cup has done it many years after signing to a high dollar, when the cap % has gone down.

Players have been signing $10m contracts for a decade and we just saw the first ones win in the last two years.

Signing these contracts is the GM saying “we won’t win in the next 4-5 years due to this contract, but we hope when the cap raises high enough to bury it we will be able to figure it out”

It’s insane and it’s a problem the league and the union need to address in the next CBA

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Great goalies are worthless with a subpar team. He can get lost he ain’t worth anything close to that.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
When did it become that having the best players in the league at their position was a detriment to team success?

The league really needs to look at their cap situation and fix it.

Shesterkin should be paid as the highest paid goalie in the world, but it also shouldn’t restrict the entire team in order to do it
Goalies have much less value than skaters. The best goalies don’t deserve anything over 7 million IMO. Gone are the days that great goalies win cups. If your skaters are good enough you can win a cup with a decent goalie.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Goalies have much less value than skaters. The best goalies don’t deserve anything over 7 million IMO. Gone are the days that great goalies win cups. If your skaters are good enough you can win a cup with a decent goalie.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but then do you just call the teams with the far and away best goalies in the world ‘unlucky’?

Since it’s better for your team to NOT have the best goalie in the world? According to your argument here, that’s what you’re saying.

Rags would rather have a ‘decent’ goalie than the best in the world.

Don’t you see how that’s a problem? The owners and the NHLPA need to come to the table to fix this. Having the best goalie in the world on your team should be an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad