Rumor: Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Igor deserves his bag, but if he wants that big of a bag he will likely be spending the rest of his career dragging a non-playoff team to 3rd or 4th place. And that’s if he’s earning his salary. Rangers went down this road with Lundqvist and they couldn’t get over the top because paying a goalie that much of the cap requires you to be perfect with every other contract, and that’s really hard to do.

Last edited:

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Can't pay a goaltender that, yet the current team success is largely thanks to him.

Have fun.
Can't pay him even 10m at that age and expect success in the near future.

So I fully expect Rangers to pay him 12.5 AAV until he's 42 or something.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
With a 92MM salary cap and a percentage of cap equal to Carey Price you land at 12.9MM. Price's deal ends after his 38 year old season. Everyone saying this ask is crazy should at least acknowledge this exact contract has been given out to an almost identical player in terms of age, position, and importance to his team.

Reactions: TCIH

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
With a 92MM salary cap and a percentage of cap equal to Carey Price you land at 12.9MM. Price's deal ends after his 38 year old season. Everyone saying this ask is crazy should at least acknowledge this exact contract has been given out to an almost identical player in terms of age, position, and importance to his team.

The issue is not whether a team has ever paid a goalie that much of the cap. The issue is whether it has ever worked out well for the team.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There is no way the Rangers should entertain this. I would hold at 9. If you can get more than that, go get your money. I don't have time for selfishness. Your life is no different at 12M than it is at 9M. Don't be a scumbag. If he insists at 12M+, then I hold at 4 years. No way you're getting that money for 8 years.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Why am I going to structure my team around what Carey Price got? The Habs didn't win anything. They didn't get any further than we did with Henrik. If anything, that's my argument as to why we don't give Igor that much money.
F Carey Price. I don't give a damn about how much money or what percentage he got. In the end it kept the Habs from winning and hurt the team. Giving Igor that will do the same thing here.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Why am I going to structure my team around what Carey Price got? The Habs didn't win anything. They didn't get any further than we did with Henrik. If anything, that's my argument as to why we don't give Igor that much money.
F Carey Price. I don't give a damn about how much money or what percentage he got. In the end it kept the Habs from winning and hurt the team. Giving Igor that will do the same thing here.
You're the 23-24 New Jersey Devils without Igor.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You're the 23-24 New Jersey Devils without Igor.
Teams have shown that you can win without a dominant goaltender if you have a roster that can put goals on the board.

The timelines don't work either. Igor is at the younger end of the roster. The rest of the core is at or over 30. You lock Igor up to that number for that long, you're gonna have a 12m goalie f***ing up your rebuild when you decide to start moving on from Bread, Zib, Kreider, etc.

The worst thing you can be in this league is mediocre. You either gotta be good or you gotta be bad. There is literally no reward for in between.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When Habs signed Carey Price to his huge contract - as habs fan I had absolutely no issue with it.

I had full faith Price would be great in playoffs when we needed him, and continue to be strong, reliable and consistent in the regular season.

Do Ranger fans feel as good about Shesterkin? From the outside looking in I'm thinking no, a lot riskier, but I don't watch him as closely.

I know with Price injuries happened - but you can't really predict those.

If this was Henrik during his prime - same idea, you do whatever it takes to tie him down.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

The gulp may be even larger than you imagine with The Post having been told that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract under which the goaltender would start with 14 percent of the cap, which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M under an expected $92M cap for 2025-26.

The cap hit would remain at $12.9M through the contract while the percentage would decline as the cap is expected to increase.

But that number seems untenable on a deal that would likely be seven or eight years and take Shesterkin — who has had two very uneven regular seasons following his 2021-22 Vezina — to age 36 or 37.

In fact, I’d suggest it would be untenable for the Rangers, GM Chris Drury and the hierarchy to enter the season with Shesterkin as a pending free agent.

This is something that needs to get done before the season.

If the goaltender’s camp is not amenable to that, the Rangers will have to investigate trade opportunities.
Rangers being able to offer 8 years have an advantage here. 8 X $10.5 makes him $84,000,000. If he hits UFA a team would have to pay him 7 X $12 to make that money. If theyre dead set on $12.9, do we really think he’ll go to Utah for example for an extra $6 mill total? I think this gets done at 8 X $10.5

Reactions: MaWa

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The issue is not whether a team has ever paid a goalie that much of the cap. The issue is whether it has ever worked out well for the team.
Price and Lundqvist were 31 and 32 when their contracts kicked in. Shesterkin will 29/30. The over 30 retirement contracts are always a concern, but I feel like the risk goes up with goalies as they age out.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
YES LETS GO! Sorry ranger fans, I want this for you. Not to be critical.. that being said I’d rather have Shesty at 13 than Jarry at 5.3..

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
But when you consider he’s a cup winning goalie…..oh wait
NY would be crazy to agree to that.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The gulp may be even larger than you imagine with The Post having been told that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract under which the goaltender would start with 14 percent of the cap, which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M under an expected $92M cap for 2025-26.

The cap hit would remain at $12.9M through the contract while the percentage would decline as the cap is expected to increase.

But that number seems untenable on a deal that would likely be seven or eight years and take Shesterkin — who has had two very uneven regular seasons following his 2021-22 Vezina — to age 36 or 37.

In fact, I’d suggest it would be untenable for the Rangers, GM Chris Drury and the hierarchy to enter the season with Shesterkin as a pending free agent.

This is something that needs to get done before the season.

If the goaltender’s camp is not amenable to that, the Rangers will have to investigate trade opportunities.

@DistantThunderRep
Looks like a player In a popular market on a contending (president trophy winning) team is looking for a contract at 14%

Wonder where he got that number?????

Now I don’t know that the goalie market supports that any more. But I guess NY isn’t a good market. Or they have bad leadership.

Saros is signing for 7.74.
Igor’s looking for 12.9.

Nothing to do with taxes. The Finnish guy just loves warm weather and country music

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
lol if that's what his agent wants, let's trade him right f***ing now!

OUEN73BQRNBQLHLZJS3J7HVK4Q.jpg
you wouldn't get what you expect. with the extension ask teams would treat him as a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad