Rumor: Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Unless a club is looking to go all in for a 2-3 yr window and literally being a goalie away, I really don’t see how any sensible GM would agree to that kind of demand.

This is the kind of deal that bites you in the ass in the future.

Reactions: Jauffre

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I have no problem paying my goaltender, but at some point you have to make a decision NOT to be stupid.

It’s why you should always be looking out for your net. Draft a goaltender every year. If you hit 33% of the time, you give yourself so many more options. I don’t care if you just signed yours at $8 million over 8 years. Keep drafting them. That way, you don’t get stuck with your pants down like the Rangers are heading towards happening. $8-$9 million tops..

You just can’t have your goaltender making over 10% of your cap. The problem for the Rangers now is, there’s likely no trade market for him either. Half the teams in the league, subscribe to the “You can win with an average to above average goalie” these days. Who can add cap like that? Who would want to?

It’s just not worth it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You don’t let your franchise players just walk. I’m sure he’ll settle on a Lower Number but it’ll be high.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Believe it or not, the rangers are in the drivers seat. New York is a sought place to live.Shesterkin has made friends set ground roots already, knows the city. The Rangers could likely set their price at 10.5 mil per take it or leave it, I doubt shesty finds a better number in free agency next year.. that’s how I’d play it if I was Drury

Reactions: MaWa

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I don't know what is more crazy: these rumors (assuming it's actual contract demands) or Shesterkin stats including playoffs

1719727770457.png

1719727872445.png

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Doubt he actually gets that, this is clickbait off of early negotiations. But honestly he's pretty damn near worth that. He is generational and if you swap him with an average goalie I don't think we're even in the playoffs let alone going to the ECF.
i agree.

but if you pay him that you won't be able to put a playoff caliber team around it with the other not so cost effective contracts under the rangers cap.

as a devils fan i clearly see the beauty here.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
The Rangers can't afford that but other teams can. If they wanted, Detroit could fit him in and he'd follow Yzerman's Vasi contract, as could Carolina who have Kuznetzov, Burns and Andersen all up at the end of this season.

It is difficult to guess his trade value but Kochetkov and a 1st from the Canes is a good starting point for a conversation.

Edit just realised it wasn't Yzerman who signed that Vasilevskiy contract, man that feels longer ago than 2019.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
He doesn't have a camp. He has an agent.

12.9 is asinine. Sorry, goalies should be capped off at around 9 in today's climate. This guy is a vulture to command that type of coin. Trade him and plug the hole with someone else. The Rangers are right there. Hate hstvteam but they are close to winning. They can't pay that to a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad