Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Weird hill to die on? Whitney/Biz/Grinnell don't know shit, lol. That's where the Brady Tkachuk rumors came from, not RearAD

Guy went from having his top 3 making 34M to 23M on the cap.
kicking dirt and moving goalposts babyyyyyy

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I dig it. Welcome, Mr Keefe!!

I was really impressed he took the time to make a video in which he thanked Leafs fans for their support. Very classy gesture that you don’t see everyday. Seems like a genuinely good human being. Now, that’s great and all….but it’s all about winning. I have faith in the guy.

Reactions: nugg

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Ok. I am pleased with this. This was the outcome I was hoping for with the hiring.

Really hope this works out.

Youngish, has coaching success in multiple levels. Dealt with high octane forward core.

Obviously can't predict how it will go, but I think this is the right move given who was available and what we know about him and our team.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I’m not complaining. I think there’s a lot of reasons why it went wrong in Toronto.

It’s a lot better than some of the other options.
Leafs fan chiming in

Keefe wasn't the problem in Toronto, especially not this year. The star players badly underperformed, without Matthews for half the series, Nylander missing 3 games, he got this team to a game 7 OT. The defense was stellar.

Issue was our guys couldn't bury their chances.

Just couldn't run it back for a 6th year, I think you guys will like him a lot.

Very smart defensively and gets his guys to commit to a 200ft game, Matthews really developed defensively under him, knows how to play a smart defensive system. Offensively he likes to get his blue liners in on the forecheck, winger drops back to the blue line, he believes in puck possession vs safe shut down D. So expect your D to go in for pucks along the board and have the winger drop back for support quite often, led to a lot of O-zone time and chances.

Biggest challenge for him has always been he overthinks, he just outthinks himself. He's a really smart coach and understands the game well, he just (in the playoffs at least) panics? sometimes and just second guesses himself. We all have that one guy in our fantasy leagues, who has his lineup set and then at the last second makes a change, that's Keefe.

But new GM in Toronto, it was just time for a new voice, really likeable guy, great coach, I think you guys will be happy with him. He knows how to build a strong relationship with his players and utilizes his tools (player personnel) really well.

Wishing Keefe and you guys the best, great coach and despite the failures in Toronto, nothing but respect for him.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I like to think the leafs failure to get over the hump is less on keefe himself and more on the leafs being the leafs. I like this hire

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
My sources were correct

View attachment 874461

My sources were correct

View attachment 874461
0DAF912A-F461-4546-BDDC-980ECE44AA32.jpeg

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Kaplan comments are telling. Willing to work with other departments means he agreed to act like he is listening to analytic nerds

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Toronto was a playoff failure even with Babcock before Keefe got there. He somehow got good defense out of a core made up of Morgan Reilly and a bunch of spare parts. The whole roster outside of the big three is meh. It blows my mind that people think the leafs are this Uber talented team that played below expectations, quite the opposite.
They were able to form 2 very good lines. Their 3rd & 4th lines were always an issue.

Some people say we only had one good defenceman - Morgan Reilly. But he was far from complete. His only attribute was that he could move the puck. Poor defensively and was ineffective on the PP.

Dubas did a horrible job constructing this roster.

I just get the feeling that your stars are different. Not selfish like a couple of ours. This may work as a result.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
A lot will will probably depend on assistants hired (as with most coaches).

One thing I do like about Keefe is it seems he is willing to play his best players on the penalty kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad