Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Seems like a good fit, had the Leafs play fast. Devils are built to spend as little time in the defensive zone as possible. Leafs were always fairly solid possession wise under him.

I don't think he's a great coach as it stands but really was there one available? Still young enough to not be set in his ways like some of these guys get.
A criticism, was felt that the Leafs got slower.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When Brad Trevling was in Calgary, he so overly involved in coaching decisions, that the coach had little say. This did not stop until Darryl Sutter was hired, I am guessing it was the same in Toronto.
Trevling won 3 rounds in 9 years in Calgary . Yes, he's brutal.
But Treving was in Calgary when keefe was losingbtinthe Blue Jackets, Habs , Bolts, Panthers .....all the while with his buddy Dubas letting him run the show.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This guy got outcoached all the time even when he beat the Lightning last year. He had an absolutely stacked Leafs roster...any coach would have had them at 100 pt seasons.

Good luck Devils. He does seem like a very nice guy
Leafs have had in the last 3 seasons 100pts+

How close was Keefe with his assistants in Toronto, are they any Leafs fans feel like he'd want to bring with him to NJ ?
Please, please Boucher

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm quite happy with this hiring. I think he'll do well here.
A team thst can't win in the play offs hires a coach that can't win in the play offs.
Nice move
What an odd comment considering we literally just beat the Rangers in a best of 7 last year, in our first real foray into the playoffs with this core.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Guy had an elite team and couldn’t motivate them to win a playoff series. I’m sure he will do much better with a worse team.
Look who showed up to crap on the Devils. What a surprise. Your insights are always so valid and you aren’t at all purposely crapping on NJ to antagonize the NJ fans because we all know that’s a violation of the ToS.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A criticism, was felt that the Leafs got slower.
they lost to the Jackets and Habs under Keefe when they were faster I guess

I'm quite happy with this hiring. I think he'll do well here.

What an odd comment considering we literally just beat the Rangers in a best of 7 last year, in our first real foray into the playoffs with this core.
I guess if you consider winning one round " winning innthe playoffs"

Keefe won a round just last year too.....then got canned this year

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ok, replace that with “can’t win in the playoffs” and you’re still misdiagnosing the post-2012 Devils’ actual problem.
I didn't specify their "actual problem"

Far as I can see it's far too better than they are.
Goaltending.
But Keefe will do better because they have Allen now.....and Hamilton back.
All kidding aside they should be back in the play offs ......I mean the frigging Capitals made this year. How hard can it be in the east

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I guess if you consider winning one round " winning innthe playoffs"
It was their first trip to the playoffs in like 5 years, as a very young team, but because they only won 1 series, they "can't win in the playoffs"? How many more series would they have had to have won for you to accept that they could maybe be capable of winning?

And yes, I do think their playoff success last season as a young team proved they are completely capable of going deep into the playoffs. Especially considering how nobody was expecting them to challenge the Rangers, who were thought by many to be the cup favorites before the devils skated them into the ground.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It was their first trip to the playoffs in like 5 years, as a very young team, but because they only won 1 series, they "can't win in the playoffs"? How many more series would they have had to have won for you to accept that they could maybe be capable of winning?

And yes, I do think their playoff success last season as a young team proved they are completely capable of going deep into the playoffs. Especially considering how nobody was expecting them to challenge the Rangers, who were thought by many to be the cup favorites before the devils skated them into the ground.
ok. I get your Point.
I simply made a comment . I for one thought the Devils would hire a more experienced savy guy.
Roll the dice with Keefe.
...OK. Good luck

besides, fans in the Atlantic were fine with.... and hoping Shanny , Dubas , and Keefe were gonna stay in Toronto for years to come.
The three stooges

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad