Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think NJ is a great landing spot for Keefe and he will do a good job with that young core.

Reactions: Jacob

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I for one cannot wait for the Devils-Leafs inevitable playoff matchup and the headlines that result from it.

If the Devils manage to win? Oh that handshake line will be delicious.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Yea. One yea, Mayne two. But 5 on a row?
Different goalies, changing Dmen. Forwards coming in and going out O'Reilly, Simmonds, Thorton, Kerfoot, Kadri , Domi, Bertuzzi , Foligno, rookies, Schenn, Muzzin .....core 4 the only constant .....and oh yea....the coach playing the same way no matter who the GM gave him.

No the coach cant jump on n the ice .....but you can sat that about the Devils coach who was just fired.
As long as Keefe isnt still taken pointers from David Frost. Maybe it will work out in Jersey.
I susoect Hughes and Co. will be running the team in Jersey like Marner and Co did in T.0
I have a strong feeling that Keefe was playing to strengths. Torontos players didn’t step up their game when it counted.

Coaching is a big part obviously, but it’s not going to change 7 round 1 losses in 8 years.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I for one cannot wait for the Devils-Leafs inevitable playoff matchup and the headlines that result from it.

If the Devils manage to win? Oh that handshake line will be delicious.
I think this may be inevitable, just as it is inevitable we are going to find out the Head Coach was not a Leafs problem last year. If Keefe goes on to win the Jack Adams. He will possibly go down as Shanahan's last fire the coach card to play.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
where have I heard that line word for word before ?

I know you were being sarcastic but I couldn't resist.
Not being sarcastic at all. I genuinely think Keefe is a solid hire for New Jersey.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I like Keefe, he's not a great coach but I think he's shown improvement and can continue to do so.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Congratulations NJ you have the worst coach in the league, and no I'm not trolling, not even close.

You won't realize that he's the worst coach in the league right away because there is enough talent to hide that fact assuming they can get a save, and somebody will qoute me and respond all cocky trying to prove me wrong once NJ wins 45-50 games with 100+ points.

And then the playoffs will come, and then the other teams coach is going to stuff him in a locker.

And then You'll know what we already know.

Sheldon Keefe is shit.
So that being the case Berube should come in and win it all?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Coaches aren’t finished products, especially at Keefe’s age and experience level. Not sure how he’ll do in New Jersey but I think he’s an alright coach that could be a really good one.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I'd say he was an average coach with a potentially great team. He needed to change the team\s style in order to win in the playoffs.
You wanted him to have them run and gun and blow the zone in the playoffs? Leafs played very well defensively so I hope you're not implying he should have preached defense and solid neutral zone play because that's exactly how they played in all their elimination games. At some point its on the players paid the big bucks to break the game open.

And anyways even if keefe did have them play full run and gun nobody wins in the playoffs like that

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Dubas handcuffed Keefe for 4 of his 5 years, and by his 5th it was too late. Dubas was the one who created the culture of the core 4 and allowing the players to run the team. The coach takes the cues from the GM, especially the one who gave him the job. Keefe will be different with a fresh start and he's going to be a great coach for years to come.

Maybe not next year, or the year off...but I have no doubt that when he's in his 60's he'll be known as one of the good to great ones.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You wanted him to have them run and gun and blow the zone in the playoffs? Leafs played very well defensively so I hope you're not implying he should have preached defense and solid neutral zone play because that's exactly how they played in all their elimination games. At some point its on the players paid the big bucks to break the game open
They didn't play well defensively as a group over the years he was there and they certainly weren't overly physical on the forecheck. This year they were better but in the preceding 5 years they were not. Maybe getting on Marner's case years ago would have paid dividends now

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They didn't play well defensively as a group over the years he was there and they certainly weren't overly physical on the forecheck. This year they were better but in the preceding 5 years they were not. Maybe getting on Marner's case years ago would have paid dividends now
Getting on Marners case years ago got him a first class ticket to the boss's office for a stern talking unfortunately for keefe

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not being sarcastic at all. I genuinely think Keefe is a solid hire for New Jersey.
based on what ?

I have a strong feeling that Keefe was playing to strengths. Torontos players didn’t step up their game when it counted.

Coaching is a big part obviously, but it’s not going to change 7 round 1 losses in 8 years.
no. but both can be true atvthe same time .....leafs core suck at play off hockey.....and Keefe ain't such a good coach.
Why he was learning on the job in of all places Toronto is not his fault however.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
This guy got outcoached all the time even when he beat the Lightning last year. He had an absolutely stacked Leafs roster...any coach would have had them at 100 pt seasons.

Good luck Devils. He does seem like a very nice guy

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So that being the case Berube should come in and win it all?
No. He will running the same problem.
But it was very obvious Keefe was letting M and M run the line up.
It shouldn't take Marner to get injured for Keefe to realize Dome Betruzzi Matthews
then Marner Nylander Tavares is a strong top six.
Marner and Matthews were sewn at rhe hip because they wanted to be.
Berube won't care about catering to a few players. It will be all 20.
He may turn it from a club into a team. Alteast he will try. Keefe didn't

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like a good fit, had the Leafs play fast. Devils are built to spend as little time in the defensive zone as possible. Leafs were always fairly solid possession wise under him.

I don't think he's a great coach as it stands but really was there one available? Still young enough to not be set in his ways like some of these guys get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad