Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
based on what ?

no. but both can be true atvthe same time .....leafs core suck at play off hockey.....and Keefe ain't such a good coach.
Why he was learning on the job in of all places Toronto is not his fault however.
That is certainly true. It’s very hard to know if a coach is bad or good when we’re not around (obviously results are how we determine that)

But if only cup wins determine a good coach there should be 25+ firings every year. I think Keefe is a good coach, but maybe not for Toronto.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That is certainly true. It’s very hard to know if a coach is bad or good when we’re not around (obviously results are how we determine that)

But if only cup wins determine a good coach there should be 25+ firings every year. I think Keefe is a good coach, but maybe not for Toronto.
Well said

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
whats " Good coach " based on ?

In Toronto it's on the players

In jersey it's on the last two coaches fired ?

I'm not even sure why Ruff got fired tbh, Devils finished where they were supposed to considering they didn't have any goalie worth a damn, lost their #1 D for 62 games and Jack for 20. If Hamilton is healthy and they take the ~10m in space they'll have after signing Mercer to get a decent #1 and D depth there's no reason they're not contenders for the division.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I think he should have taken some time off before jumping back in, but it's a good hire nonetheless.
A coach's shelf life is short, he's got 2 years of salary from Leafs in bank, go get another contract as it may likely be his last. Can't blame him.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Surprised he took another job so quick, the scuttlebutt seemed to be that he'd take time away.

Anyways I think it's a great opportunity for him, great team to go too. Interested to see how he does away from the limelight.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Guy had an elite team and couldn’t motivate them to win a playoff series. I’m sure he will do much better with a worse team.
They did win a playoff series. Then they went out and hired the guy that left an upper decker of a situation in Calgary to GM that operation and the roster took a step back.

Keefe has more to work with in New Jersey. They're in a stage of their rebuild where they need to empower their younger players and they need to identify the leadership core.

He'll do fine there.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Decent coach. If the Devils can get a goaltender they will be back competing again.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
A team thst can't win in the play offs hires a coach that can't win in the play offs.
Nice move

You must have time traveled directly from 2010 before posting this because it’s a very long time since the Devils main problem was losing in the 1st Rd.

Reactions: HBK27

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Smart move. Going to coach a club that missed the playoffs. They should make the playoffs next year. He can take some of the credit for that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
so you mean one coach was hired again and one wasn't

Both were hired again, including their old GM.

Dubas and Keefe had one of the fastest turnarounds of all-time. What was it 2-3 weeks each?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Already a better defense talent wise than he ever had in Toronto ( still some maturing to do ) up to Tom to go get him a goalie this summer.

The way Keefe got the D in Tor to over preform in the playoffs is super encouraging as a Devils fan.
Keefe couldn’t get them to show up to game 4 at home. One of the biggest games of their lives and they played like shit that game and went down 3-1 in the series. PP went 1 for 20 in that series.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
hammaya-relaxed.gif

Thank you Jersey for keeping Dubas away from his BFF.

• Haha
Reactions: Bone Density

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
A team thst can't win in the play offs hires a coach that can't win in the play offs.
Nice move

The Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 57 f***ing years, do you really believe this was the coaches problem?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 57 f***ing years, do you really believe this was the coaches problem?
do you really believe I came anywhere neat insinuating that .

Keefe sucks my opinion. You disagree. Cheers.

and of cotsr it cant be a coaching .....cause the leafs have have been ass with far better coaches than Sheldon Keefe

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
This guy got outcoached all the time even when he beat the Lightning last year. He had an absolutely stacked Leafs roster...any coach would have had them at 100 pt seasons.

Good luck Devils. He does seem like a very nice guy
idk.. they have 3 stars.. no goalie.. no #1 dman.. couple good solid DFDs but nothing impressive... bottom 6 non-existent.. no shutdown line.. seems like their stars are their team and that's it. Obviously a playoff team with any coach but I don't see stacked in any way, shape or form

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Both were hired again, including their old GM.

Dubas and Keefe had one of the fastest turnarounds of all-time. What was it 2-3 weeks each?
I though you were referring to coaches when you mentioned Babcock.
And I didn't realize you had a time frame on "Toronto" only including Matthews
But I got it all now.

Since you mention Dubas I see he's keeping his streak going .
Won one round .......soon to be...... still one. 😆
Keefe too.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
do you really believe I came anywhere neat insinuating that .

Keefe sucks my opinion. You disagree. Cheers.

and of cotsr it cant be a coaching .....cause the leafs have have been ass with far better coaches than Sheldon Keefe

Keefe is a good coach, that had assholes from top in his ear.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
the assholes who hired him ?

When Brad Trevling was in Calgary, he so overly involved in coaching decisions, that the coach had little say. This did not stop until Darryl Sutter was hired, I am guessing it was the same in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad